home brewing can increase your popularity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I am invited to FOUR different parties saturday night...of course I have been asked to bring beer and a guitar to 3 of them. ( one doesn't really count as it is a family get together for kids birthdays)

I have to agree with that as well, I found that I like my new popularity as well. Is there any harm in charging a small 'ingredients' fee for all our hard work?

ingredients fee? that's funny. I made a hefe once because my neighbor likes franziskaner and gave him a case. He wanted to pay me, but I just told him make sure I get my bottles back. I never wanted to take money from anyone, but I think if someone is like "I'll give you the money for the ingredients if you brew this for me", that's fine. I wouldn't really approach anyone and tell them to pay me for my beer. If you do, I think that popularity you're enjoying is going to go away.

I traded a case of homebrew for a mention of my band on a major Boston radio station when a buddy was being interviewed about a film festival he was organizing.

The DJ doing the interview had snubbed us a bunch of times. It was worth it to hear him be forced to say nice things about us.

I get $10 a person for drinking my kegs. Usually this nets me about $40 -$60 a keg. Which is a little profit since I probably got $35 in ingredients in each keg. I immediately reinvest the $ in more ingredients and equipment. So I am still losing $$$ :(

I have to agree with that as well, I found that I like my new popularity as well. Is there any harm in charging a small 'ingredients' fee for all our hard work?

I get $10 a person for drinking my kegs. Usually this nets me about $40 -$60 a keg. Which is a little profit since I probably got $35 in ingredients in each keg. I immediately reinvest the $ in more ingredients and equipment. So I am still losing $$$ :(

Yeah technically it is a federal offense to charge money, even a "dontation" in exchange fror homebrew. Any medium of exchange, even bartering for homebrew is illegal. I sure as hell wouldn't be mentioning it on the largest alcohol producing hobby websites on the nets.

There might be no harm in "asking for donations", but there might be if you put it on the Interwebz or mingle with tattle-tales. Check the law.

Call it a "optional donation for brewer education fund." I am not a lawyer, but it sounds plausible to me!

For raffles that give away a large prize, for instance, you are legally required to be able to obtain a ticket for free if you are in an area that prohibits gambling. Paying for a chance to win (as in most raffles) is gambling and not much different than playing the slots in Vegas.

Here we go again, people trying to circumvent a very clear cut set of laws...

Any form of EXCHANGE for homebrew is considered illegal under the 1978 repeal of the ban on homebrewing, H.R. 1337...unless of course you become licensed to do so, and pay taxes.

That's the bottom line, folks.

In fact Bartering of alcohol of any type is illegal, period, even for licensed retailers.

Trading or Bartering

The trading or bartering of alcoholic beverages for cash or in exchange for different alcoholic beverages by and between retail liquor dealers, in order that they may take advantage of special deals involving quantity discounts or free goods offered by wholesale liquor dealers, is not a bona fide loan of liquors described in Revenue Ruling 54-509 which outlines transactions constituting bona fide loans. Such trading or bartering constitutes sales for purpose of resale and engaging in this practice would subject the retail dealers to liability for special tax as wholesale liquor dealers and would necessitate the acquiring of basic permits as wholesale liquor dealers. This ruling relates only to the trading or bartering of merchandise between retailers after purchase thereof by one or more retailers individually, and not to the cooperative purchasing of alcoholic beverages by several retailers, dealt with in Revenue Ruling 56-204.

26 U.S.C. 5111; 27 CFR 194.28

And if you are planning to do so, I wouldn't be discussing it on the largest homebrewing site on the web......

Whenever a thread like this, or someone trying to make money off homebrew for whatever reason, charity or otherwise, all these "armchair lawyers," come up with all the ways they think could be "get arounds" the law. Sorry kids, you can hypothesize all you want, but do you notice ever any actually attorneys with knowledge of the law ever coming up with some of this stuff? No.

Whether we agree with the laws or not. You can't loophole your way through this. The laws are pretty specific in regards to homebrewing- any medium of exchange, be it money or barter involving homebrew is illegal.

Remember homebrewing wasn't re-legalized after the Volstead act was repealed in 1933, it wasn't legalized until 1978, and it took a lot of work in those 45 years to get it to happen....and despite it's federal legalization, it is STILL on a State by State basis.

Wasn't it legalized in Utah JUST this very year?

Do a little reading on the history of prohibition and the legalizing of homebrewing, and maybe you'll quit the idiotic hypothisizing about trying to get around the law, and realize what a fine razors edge this hobby sits on to many folks.

Some folks still think you can go blind drinking homebrew.
Other's can't distinguish what we're doing with making meth.

Hell even some cops look on what we're doing with suspicion.

Don't believe me? Check out this Cops episode if you haven't already....look at what "John Law" has to say about our little hobby. "The concotion he was making could be deadly..." :rolleyes:

Hell, if MADD gets ever gets their way the oldschool version of prohibition may be like a picnic, compared to what it would be like in modern times. You think they'd let us make anything? (HomeWine making was sort of legal during prohibition as long as you didn't sell)

Look what may be happening in Canada; DUI legislation may expand to allow random breathalyzer tests

No probable cause would be necessary to be forced to breath into a tube.

Quit thinking you can run around the law....if you really want to help, then try to change the laws....Write your congress people, better yet become a congressperson. But quit thinking you can scheme your way through this.

That's what doesn't help give us a good name.

Read this for some enlightenment...It was one of our members https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/ohio-university-homebrew-festival-shut-down-140105/#post1590903

And this from just a couple weeks ago https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/alabama-homebrewer-arrested-194144/?highlight=alabama

This thread has all of the links covering the bill that legalized Homebrewing...it is a good resource and a very good read.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/history-home-brewing-legalization-u-s-seeking-info-194974/

If you want to do this, contact the local liquor control commission, find out the laws, and follow the legal process and do it. Plenty of people have. All it It takes time and money.....

Last edited by a moderator:
There might be no harm in "asking for donations", but there might be if you put it on the Interwebz or mingle with tattle-tales. Check the law.

You don't need tattle tales, you just need a few keyword bots setup by the TTB to watch out for conversations like this on hugely popular alcohol producing websites. If you don't think big brother's supercomputers have a few digital eyeballs looking this way you are naive.

It doesn't matter if you agree with it or not, or chose to do it in the privacy of your own home, or not...I just wouldn't be mentioning it here, capice?

revvy is right...I have turned down offers of money and donations on several occasions.... IF I ever took any I definitely would not get on here talking about it. Now I was bribed with a topless pic a while back in exchange for coming to a party and bringing some skeeter pee. Then with the live version to go get more.. but I am not sure that is considered bartering?

Revvy, did you miss the part where I said don't put it on the Internet ? I'm simply amazed at the amount of stuff people put on Facebook, Twitter and other "sharing" sites that can come to bite them in the butt later on (ie. bragging about drinking when they are minors, drugs, all that fun stuff). And I'm not talking about scary Big Brother types of scenario where booted thugs kidnap you in your sleep: simply stating that your job sucks and that your employer is a pig on your FB can get you fired pretty quick. Same thing if you proclaim yourself a stoner and go in for job interviews. Employers now check this stuff regularly and good luck trying to prove you weren't hired because someone breached your "privacy".

Keep to your damn selves folks. Myself, I wouldn't do it and I certainly wouldn't bring cases of beers to parties i know i wouldn't have been invited to if it weren't for the FREE BEER. This is akin to being the only kid with the pool on the block.

revvy is right...I have turned down offers of money and donations on several occasions.... IF I ever took any I definitely would not get on here talking about it. Now I was bribed with a topless pic a while back in exchange for coming to a party and bringing some skeeter pee. Then with the live version to go get more.. but I am not sure that is considered bartering?

Bartering is considered bartering. Any exchange of product or favours is bartering. The only way other people can enjoy your home brew is if you provide it to them free of charge.

Revvy, did you miss the part where I said don't put it on the Internet ? I'm simply amazed at the amount of stuff people put on Facebook, Twitter and other "sharing" sites that can come to bite them in the butt later on (ie. bragging about drinking when they are minors, drugs, all that fun stuff). And I'm not talking about scary Big Brother types of scenario where booted thugs kidnap you in your sleep: simply stating that your job sucks and that your employer is a pig on your FB can get you fired pretty quick. Same thing if you proclaim yourself a stoner and go in for job interviews. Employers now check this stuff regularly and good luck trying to prove you weren't hired because someone breached your "privacy".

Keep to your damn selves folks. Myself, I wouldn't do it and I certainly wouldn't bring cases of beers to parties i know i wouldn't have been invited to if it weren't for the FREE BEER. This is akin to being the only kid with the pool on the block.

AMEN! I posted on facebook a while back about how stupid some of my " friends" were in posting about their drinking binges at bars .... they are 19 and 20....Another posting all kinds of personal family issues on facebook. I swear I think they are too dumb to realize other people can read it. Hell I had one that was posting FROM A COCKFIGHT!!!

Bartering is considered bartering. Any exchange of product or favours is bartering. The only way other people can enjoy your home brew is if you provide it to them free of charge.

lol... yeah I guess that may be right.. was a funny scenario. I was already at the party before I knew anything about the pic being sent to my phone... then as I was leaving I got flashed trying to get me to bring more back. The party thrower then said.. OK partys over I gotta go to bed. I told the girl... " WELL YOU JUST GOT SCREWED !" LOL

Back