High Specific Gravity at 2 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublehaul

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA batch 2 weeks ago and did not touch my batch since then. There was definite fermentation the whole first week. Now, I just took a specific gravity reading and it was 1.032 (image attached). The final gravity on this recipe is 1.012. It is alot clearer than my last batch also (different recipe). Did I screw something up??

IMAG0153.jpg

first reading - i will check it in a few days. My last batch was at the correct FG at two weeks is why I was questioning it.

I waited 2 days and measured again and its holding steady at 1.032. is there anything I can do or is it done?

what went wrong - yeast problem? it called for white labs English ale yeast and they.gave me wy-yeast- London ale maybe? and the bag was a liitle poofed when I bought it but it.really swelled when I smacked it so I.assumed all was good. I was very careful with all msrmts

wort is super clear and with english yeast there's a good chance it's dropped out already - you can try VERY gently stirring the wort, don't splash - you don't want to introduce any oxygen at this point

what was your ferm temp?

temp may have been a little low during the day. it's in a cardboard box on a tile floor, and the temp I would say is around 56-60F. then, in the evening around 67F+

temp may have been a little low during the day. it's in a cardboard box on a tile floor, and the temp I would say is around 56-60F. then, in the evening around 67F+

British yeast is super flocculant, especially if it's 1968 (which I suspect it is)- that plus cold temps means you put your yeast right to sleep. It's hard to keep that yeast from floccing out even when it's warm. You need to rouse your yeast up pretty well and get your temps up. The MINIMUM temperature for 1968 is 64F, so if you went below that, your yeasts are just snoozing. You can get some tasty fruit flavors up above 70, but you won't get any off flavors.

Warm that sucker up and get those yeast working again:mug:

You're reading the scale wrong. Each one of the shorter lines is = to .002. So you read 2,4,6,8...not 1,2,3,4. And you read at the meniscus, So it would actually be 1.035. Do you see how the liquid curves up against the hydrometer? Ok,now imagine a straight line at the top of the liquid level through that curve to the scale just beyond it. That's your reading.

I stirred the yeast last night. I will turn the heat up again on my lunch.

Thanks for the measuring info - although that makes it higher...

If it was 1968, it likes it a bit warmer, I ferment at 64° and let it warm as fermentation progresses, finishing at 70° for the last few days. that yeast flocs out crazy fast so it occasionally needs rousing into suspension even with temps within range.

Back