Fermentor Experiment - with one yeast substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dynachrome

Reaction score
I usually brew higher gravity beers and smaller batches.

My Boddington's Bitter is taking up three of my four 5 gallon HDPE buckets. I don't have enough fermentor space.

A just boiled another batch Scalded Dog (Two Hearted clone) at 16-1/2 gallons. I am going to improvise.
-(1) 5 gallon carboy - first use of one of these.
-(1) 5 gallon Stainless steel pot
-(1) 5 gallon HDPE bucket
-(1) 3-1/2 gallon Stainless Steel pot
- small test batch- with Fleishman's baker's yeast.

I'm suffering growing pains.
:D

Well, After cooling on the back deck, I ended up with enough wort to give a decent fill on:
(1) 6-1/2 Gallon Carboy
(1) 5 Gallon HDPE Bucket
(1) Small Stainless Steel pot with a Pyrex lid

I devided the 3 S-04's between the 5 gallon bucket and the carboy. I pitched the bread yeast in the SS pot with the pyrex cover.

This being my first time with a carboy, I had a friend that told me to use vodka for the airlock. It started sucking drops of vodka back in. I loosened it up a bit till all the temp/pressure equals out.

This should be fun. I'll be able to watch the fermentation in two of these fermentors.

The plastic bowl on the left is the bread yeast. It had developed a good solid ball of kreusen. It reminded me of blown insulation.

IMAG0066.jpg

IMAG0075.jpg

RTP_4.jpg

IMAG0076.jpg

Yeast3.jpg

My pictures are out of order very apparently. The three pots on the back deck was last night. The three pots on the counter is this morning. The yeast pictures were all last night.

In the picture with the SS pot you can see the lump of re-hydrated yeast. I don't stir these in, I just pour with gusto and call it good.

I'll have to see if I can catch some video in a couple hours. I'm really confident these are going to take off well.

Early results show the [edit] bread yeast batch is pretty good.

:)

This is a Two Hearted clone, your results may vary.

EDIT - It's Red Star yeast. I just noticed.

LiquidBread1.jpg

Back