Does this look infected to you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mclane2003

Reaction score
Third batch ever-
Brewed this Dead Guy Ale extract kit about 11 days ago. I used a t-shirt over the carboy for the first time. It bubbled nicely for many days. Took off the t-shirt and found it looks funky. Is it infected or is that just sediment stuck to the side?

picturers.jpg

Welcome to HBT!

Doesn't look bad to me. I've had yeast do that on the sides of carboys more than once. Give it a few more weeks in the carboy and it should be good to bottle.

I think some how you got yeast in your sugar. I will warn you this could cause the sugar to turn into a poison. I suggest you bottle it with some corn sugar and send it to me for testing.

Used Wyeast 1056 American. LHBS did not have Pacman and I have never cultured yeast before.

Just let it sit for a while and I bet all that yeast will drop out to the bottom. Fermentation looks pretty funky and infections typically don't show up right away.

It looks like the pattern in the glass had something to do with it. What's really strange is that middle section wasn't affected as much.

Definitely one of the coolest "is this infected?" pictures I have seen. Looks normal, just odd.

Third batch ever-
Brewed this Dead Guy Ale extract kit about 11 days ago. I used a t-shirt over the carboy for the first time. It bubbled nicely for many days. Took off the t-shirt and found it looks funky. Is it infected or is that just sediment stuck to the side?

picturers.jpg

All kidding aside, dude, you looke good! :)

Yes. It's infected with Saccaromyces Cervisae. A powdery strain, by the looks of this nasty beast.

It will totally ruin your mixture of syrup and convert as much of it as it can into C2H6O. A horrible compound known for it's psycoactive properties.

Nice....It is just the carboy design....I had 20 gallons going last week with 3 different strains of yeast. 3 carboys(with ridges) did that when they settled out, the smooth one didn't....My beer turned out great and so will yours. Happy brewing.

Back