Can I add lemon zest to the primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidsmakeyoucrazy

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Lemon Corriander Weiss and the instructions say to add lemon zest to a secondary and transfer on top of that. Can't I just put it in the primary after a week or so and leave it?

I guess you could, but it might be better to get it off the yeast, especially if you are adding something to the beer.

I understand doing a secondary for fruit additions, but is it really necessary just to add the zest of a lemon? I'm leaning toward the "it's not worth the trouble" angle but if someone can explain why needs to be done I'll listen.

Chuck it in at the end of primary fermentation. I would wait till the fermemtation to stop completely. You should get more Lemon aroma... Kinda like dry hopping

I just added some orange zest to my belgian wit.. I added it about a week, maybe a little more, after I pitched the yeast. About a week later I took the lid off the bucket to take a hydrometer reading and, WOW. Had a really, really good orange aroma and when I tasted the sample it had a nice orange flavor. I think you would be just fine if you added the zest after initial fermentation has slowed down.

Also, be liberal with the zest to get a nice flavor and aroma. I used the zest from 3 oranges and 2 tangelo's.

How many oranges did you use for your zest? That sounds like it would be really good considering a lot of people drink belgian wit with an orange anyway.

Also what is the best tool for getting zest?

I used 3 oranges and 2 or 3 of the little tangelo's and just dropped it into the primary bucket on top of the krausen and everything. I didnt have a zester so I just used my cheese gratter. I used the side with the really small holes and it worked just fine. Good tip from CarsonCE about making sure not to get any of the white stuff.. make sure everything is orange and no white and you're golden.

BEst of luck.

I don't think the pith will do anything. If you buy dried peel, it has the pith on it. I've added it before with no noticeable problems.

Use the zest rather than peel. The oils/flavor comes out better. I added the zest of 3 oranges to 2 gallons of wit a couple of months ago. I think it was too much. I did add some coriander too, but I think it was the orange that was too much. I briefly boiled the zest before adding to sanitize it and help get the oils out.

Add after the main fermentation is over (Primary or Secondary).

Was wondering what type of oranges everyone was using and if there was any substantial difference in flavor between different varities.
I know that "bitter orange peel" is the default in Wit recipes but haven't been able to figure out if it matters which variety of orange you zest.

So, the reason you don't dry hop or add fruit/spices at the peak of primary fermentation is that the yeast will blow off a lot of the volatile aromatics. With all of the gas your primary is expelling, along goes your flavor/aroma. So, wait for that to die down, then you add it in.

Also, you want the alcohol content, because that will solublize (sp?) some compounds that water alone could not...especially essential oils.

Back