BierMuncher.. Your Gravity/Hops Ratio graphs...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh.. It is a single graph?

I thought there were some variables in there...

Then, I have a copy too..
A certain hops name is in the file name. Does that mean this graph is really only valid for these hops..?

Call me confused.

beergears said:
Oh.. It is a single graph?
I thought there were some variables in there...
Then, I have a copy too..
A certain hops name is in the file name. Does that mean this graph is really only valid for these hops..?
Call me confused.

Nah…it’s really just a visual to help me maintain the correct ratios when I’m tweaking the gravity.

If I want to do a clone of a certain pale ale, but want to lower the ABV a bit, I use the chart to maintain that correct ratio and balance.

This first pic would be a beer that is around a 5.9% ABV.

ratio_1.jpg

This second, is a pic of the same beer, dialed down to a 4.5% ABV…but maintains the same overall malt-hops profile.

ratio_2.jpg

BierMuncher said:
Nah…it’s really just a visual to help me maintain the correct ratios when I’m tweaking the gravity.

If I want to do a clone of a certain pale ale, but want to lower the ABV a bit, I use the chart to maintain that correct ratio and balance.

This first pic would be a beer that is around a 5.9% ABV.

This second, is a pic of the same beer, dialed down to a 4.5% ABV…but maintains the same overall malt-hops profile.

Why would anyone want to dial down the ABV in one of their brews? I always think of ways to add extra points to mine. I like to look at the example in reverse, their beer was 4.5% and I want mine to be 5.9% oo yea!

Donasay said:
Why would anyone want to dial down the ABV in one of their brews? I always think of ways to add extra points to mine. I like to look at the example in reverse, their beer was 4.5% and I want mine to be 5.9% oo yea!

Well, I brew more than my fair share and at 150 pounds, I gotta take it lighter. If could polish off a half case of good craft beer before getting buzzed, I would.

Tis the taste I’m after.

BM makes a bunch of beer....and he probably drinks his fair share. I'm actually thinking about moving in that direction, just because the beers are lighter, lower in calories, and I can have a few and not be ruined/unproductive the next day.

Last night I split 2 bottles of wine with some friends and had 7 pints of a porter that I brewed, the porter had a 9% abv. I feel perfectly fine today. The extra alcohol helps pickle the liver and acts as a natural preservative I always want more of it in my beer and my body.

Not everyone likes pickles. I remember when I started brewing I also wanted to up all the ABVs but now I'm to the point where I too am starting to dial them back. I have a smoked porter right now that at 7.5% ABV has too much alcohol warmth and it prevents me from tasting the other flavors in that I wanted in there...

I guess it's personal preference, but after a while, drinking that much booze takes its toll. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I like to take it to the limit, but for regular consumption with dinner, after work, etc. I like a medium beer somewhere around 5-6%. Double IPA's and Trippels are for Friday nights :)

ScubaSteve said:
...for regular consumption with dinner, after work, etc. I like a medium beer somewhere around 5-6%. Double IPA's and Trippels are for Friday nights :)

Hah, hah...

For me...those 5.5%-6% brews are Friday night brews.

Otherwise...I stay in the 4-4.5% range.

Back