Belgian Yeast = no joke

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camride

Reaction score
I pitched a 2L starter of WLP550 yesterday around 4pm into my Belgian Trippel (slightly overfilled my bucket at around 5.5 gal). I was expecting it to take off pretty quickly, as the starter was overflowing out of my growler (and I'm sure I lost some yeast to that as I had a small puddle around the base). Well last night it was just barely bubbling the airlock, I was a little disappointed. I shouldn't have been, this morning I awoke to a fermenting bucket that was about to explode! The airlock was full of krausen/hop particles and the lid was bowing outward at a disconcerting angle. I finally manage to pull the airlock (no easy task, it was stuck pretty good) and I am treated to a face full of krausen/hop particles. :ban: Good times! I fitted a blow off tube into the swamp cooler it's sitting in and it's now happily bubbling away.

So in the future I will be sure to just fit the blow off tube on any Belgian beers I brew, those things ferment with vigor!

I used Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II with a large starter for my imperial stout. I woke up the next morning to folds of krausen lying on top of one another. Definitely a nice strain and I was glad I used a much larger fermenting bucket than I thought I needed.

Sorry! Just waking up and read this and laughed so hard I spit out my coffee......

I finally manage to pull the airlock (no easy task, it was stuck pretty good) and I am treated to a face full of krausen/hop particles.

Somebody has to say it....... Brewkkake.

What were the first two words out of your mouth and was the first one "Oh ..."?

What were the first two words out of your mouth and was the first one "Oh ..."?
Actually I just laughed. I had glasses on so nothing got in my eyes thankfully.

And I'm laughing even more at the brewkake. :D :mug:

Latest posts

Back