Amateur Brewer in a unique position needs advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxinid

Reaction score
Hello and Good evening.

This is my seciond post and I will get straight down to business.

1. My girlfriend works at a Malt Plant.
  2. She brings home her work "left overs" for me to play with.
  3. She brings home aprox. 6-7 gallons of wort a week
  4. The Gravity on her liquid is 1.037
  5. It is Premium 2-Row Malt (1.8-2.2°L)
  6. The big question.........

What is the equivalent in dry Malt grains (oz. or lbs.) to 1 gallon of 1.037 liquid wort.

I would like to use this info to help me convert the "Sweet Water" she brings home into all grain recipes that use "Domestic 2 Row malt."

Thank you.

The "wort" she brings home is lab grade stuff, Very complex and full bodied.

I might be wrong but given you have 37 points in 1 gallon of wort I would say it is the equivilant of 1 lb of malt (at 100% eff). The amount will change depending on what effeciency you had if it was actually coming from grain, i.e. if you had 70% effeciency it would be equivilant to 1.45 lbs of malt.

Just try boiling that 6-7 gallons with some hop additions and you should have a mid range beer... I think ;)

Tell her if she starts bringing home 1.1 or better she will be Mrs. Vmaxinid. :D

I'd think it would be around 1 pound per gallon depending on efficiency. Doesn't really matter. You are just worried about the gravity of what you have. Is it already boiled? Just put the numbers into something like Brewtarget, a free download, and you can play with what to do with it from there.

I might be wrong but given you have 37 points in 1 gallon of wort I would say it is the equivilant of 1 lb of malt (at 100% eff). The amount will change depending on what effeciency you had if it was actually coming from grain, i.e. if you had 70% effeciency it would be equivilant to 1.45 lbs of malt.

Just try boiling that 6-7 gallons with some hop additions and you should have a mid range beer... I think ;)

Her liquid extraction is consistantly at 1.037 exactly, and that wort is 100% you should see what they do that poor grain.
I have been making great "american ales" and such with the 7 gallon boil and hops additions.
Just now looking to expand into more varied beers ;)

Tell her if she starts bringing home 1.1 or better she will be Mrs. Vmaxinid. :D

I'd think it would be around 1 pound per gallon depending on efficiency. Doesn't really matter. You are just worried about the gravity of what you have. Is it already boiled? Just put the numbers into something like Brewtarget, a free download, and you can play with what to do with it from there.

The 2-row she brings home can't get any higher then .37, they don't concentrate any fluid, and the liquid is not boiled.

Thanks for the help people, and Hermit, I might just tie the knot anyways 1.037 and all ;)

So in looking for recipes I should adjust for the efficiency.

Example: (70% efficiency) 1lb of 2-row= 7/10 of a gallon?

Or should I just shoot 1 gallon of 1.037 per Lb of 2row?

Does anybody know the potential gravity number (1.0xx) of a lb of 2row?

Thanks everyone :)

Her liquid extraction is consistantly at 1.037 exactly, and that wort is 100% you should see what they do that poor grain.
I have been making great "american ales" and such with the 7 gallon boil and hops additions.
Just now looking to expand into more varied beers ;)

I guess you could bring the wort up to steeping temperature and steep you specialty grains in there, then boil.
Basically 1 gallon of your wort is equal to;
1 lb grain @ 100% effeciency,
1.1 lb grain @ 90%,
1.25 lb grain @ 80%,
1.43 lb grain @ 70%,
1.67 lb grain @ 60%.
So i guess if a recipe called for 10 lbs of grain and they assumed 70% effeciency you would need 7 gallons of wort. The problem is when you need more than about that 10 lbs (for a preboil volume of 7 gallons) you will need to add more than 7 gallons of your wort and boil longer to reduce the total volume.

Again. None of that matters. You can boil it down to any number you are willing to use the power on. Since it is free you are a little ahead on that one. All of the other numbers matter only if you are doing the mash, etc. You don't care how many pounds went into it. Could have been one, likely they are testing to see what they get out of a pound of grain, or it could be two or three. You can boil it down to a 50 pretty easily. What you need to do is look for recipes in that range. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks people,

I am just looking to use our free wort in all grain recipes, and needed some help in converting our unsusal fluid for use as the "dry Grain"

I will plug in 1gal:1lb@ 100% eff. and report back. :)

And you're right it makes no difference, I can boil the fluid to whatever gravity I need.

She also has access to free Malt grain, This is just the beginning............

Again. None of that matters. You can boil it down to any number you are willing to use the power on.

I am just looking to use our free wort in all grain recipes, and needed some help in converting our unsusal fluid for use as the "dry Grain"

This is what I understood the question to be and what my reply was trying to convey, if an all grain recipe says they used 10 lbs of 2 row with an effeciency of 70% how many gallons of your 1.037 wort do you need to start of with. Basically I would take the number of lbs of base malt in a recipe and divide by they number I list for the effeciency they list in the recipe (I would use 70% if they don't list one) and thats how many gallons you need. Then boil down either for the normal hour (and top up with water to the post boil volume if too much boils off), or until you reach your target post boil volume. Simple.

This is what I understood the question to be and what my reply was trying to convey, if an all grain recipe says they used 10 lbs of 2 row with an effeciency of 70% how many gallons of your 1.037 wort do you need to start of with. Basically I would take the number of lbs of base malt in a recipe and divide by they number I list for the effeciency they list in the recipe (I would use 70% if they don't list one) and thats how many gallons you need. Then boil down either for the normal hour (and top up with water to the post boil volume if too much boils off), or until you reach your target post boil volume. Simple.

So a good place to start if not mentioned is 70%.......thx.

I also use the 1.037 as my volume "water."
I heat what volume is desired to 78 then add to my cooled hopped wort if too much boiled off.
Gives more body then just water.

Back