Temperature, 1st Belgian Ale, or at least I think so.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grossy

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first Belgian Ale, or at least I think so. (see below)

I used a IM to chill the wort to 72 degress before pitching the yeast, after 12 hours in my temp controlled freezer (72 degrees), the Ale is up to 79 degrees.

Is this too high a temperature, and should I lower the temperature?
My OG was 1.088.

The kit from LHBS was far a Belgian ale, after I poured in the DME I realized that instead of Amber Malt, they had incorrectly used dry malt. A call to the LHBS, and they suggested to make a 1 gallon tea with a pound of Crystal 60 that I had.

Here is the Recipe:
For 5 gallons
Starting Gravity: 1082
Final Gravity: 1.015
Alcohol by Volume: 8.5%
Color SRM: 30L
Hop IBU’s: 30.0

Ingredients (Included)
7 lbs. Amber Dry Malt Extract
.5 lbs. Belgian Pale Malt (Grain)
1 lbs. Munich malt (Grain)
1 lbs. Special B Malt (Grain)
1 lbs. Amber Candi Sugar
2 oz Hersbrucker Hops (Bittering)
1 oz Hersbrucker (Flavor)
5 oz Priming Sugar
1 pk WLP575 Belgian Style Ale Yeast Blend

I like my Belgians fermented in the mid-to-high 60s. I know of lot of people on this board say to ferment in the high 70's or low 80's. The judges I've had critique my Belgian beers have told me the yeast yeast character is better than most other homebrewed Belgians, so take that fwiw.

+1

Belgian yeast leave a certain signature flavor. Having brewed consecutive batches of the same beer with different temperature (WL500) I'd say that the Belgian taste is always there, but at higher temps it becomes a bit wilder/prominent. At least you have a style that will still turn out relatively well, if not excellent with hot fermentations.

I'd probably leave it as it, take note and maybe brew it again cooler to see which you prefer.

Back