Game of thrones ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meanjean

Reaction score
Has anyone found an extract recipe for a clone of the ommegang game of thrones iron throne ale. All I can find so far is that it is a blonde ale. Thanks ladies and gents.

It's a very new beer. It may be up to you to email them about it.

It's a pretty simple Belgian blonde though. Yeast is going to be the most important aspect

yeah, this sounds awesome. I'd be happy to just be able to buy it even...

From the Ommegang website:

Iron Throne is a blonde ale at 6.5% ABV and brewed with a robust amount of pils, honey malt, aroma malts, and red wheat. Gentle hopping includes Styrian Golding and Hallertau Spalter Select, appropriately noble hops. Spiced with grains of paradise and lemon peel. Hue is a slightly hazy golden amber. Head is full and fluffy. Finish is crisp, backed by a touch of spice and hops. Aroma is a bit grassy with a hint of lemon fruitiness from the lemon peel. Taste is lightly malty, rounded out by honey malt sweetness.

Sounds interesting. I have a belgian blonde recipe in my beersmith. I'm going to mess around with it and see what I can come up with.

*EDIT*

Based on my limited experience here's what I've come up with.

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
8 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)
4 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat - Red Malt (Briess) (2.3 SRM)
12.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
8.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil 60 mi
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 60 mi
1.00 oz Lemon zest (Boil 10.0 mins)
0.50 tsp Seeds of Paradise (Boil 5.0 mins)
1.0 pkg Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400)

And here's what I came up with for an extract recipe with specialty grains and few pounds of base malts to help with conversion on the specialty grains:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.26 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.76 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated Color: 7.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
2 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Wheat - Red Malt (Briess) (2.3 SRM)
12.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
8.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM)
5 lbs Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM)
2 lbs Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil 60.0 mi
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 60.0 mi
1.00 oz Lemon zest (Boil 10.0 mins)
0.50 tsp Seeds of Paradise (Boil 5.0 mins)
1.0 pkg Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400)

I already have a few brew days lined up, but I will definitely try the all grain version when I can squeeze it in.

Thank you wybird01 I am gonna brew in up in a few weeks. As far as ordering it if you call your local large beer distributor they should be able to grab u a case. But be ready to pay I got a case for 120!!!!

How long should a primary fermentation for this extract recipe be? This is my first batch of beer ever, so I'm flying half-blind.

Fermentation is done when it's done.

And to know it's done when the krausen (The foam formed during fermentation) has disappear, take a gravity reading. Take another 3 days later and if it didn't change, the fermentation is ready.

I have no experience with the yeast you have chosen, but it should be between 1 and 3 weeks for the time it takes to finish fermenting.

Ok thanks! I'm a newbie, so I wasn't sure if you could have beer go too long. If I'm bottle carbonating, would the fermenting all the way through kill the yeast and leave me unable to carb? I'm using wyeast belgian ale

Thanks again!

Ok thanks! I'm a newbie, so I wasn't sure if you could have beer go too long. If I'm bottle carbonating, would the fermenting all the way through kill the yeast and leave me unable to carb? I'm using wyeast belgian ale

Thanks again!

What I learned is that you can never be to slow, only too fast when brewing :) 1-2-3 month in the fermenter won't kill your beer. To fast and it might not taste what you'd like.

Don't worry when you will bottle you will have enough yeast to bottle carb. It's sleeping because there's not enough sugar to eat anymore. When you will add your priming sugar, they will awake and re-do a fermentation.

Has anybody tried making this yet. I bought two bottles of Iron Throne, drank the first immediately and was a little underwhelmed. Drank the second 2 months later and it was much better. Not sure if the extra time helped the taste or if the first bottle was a "dud."

Would be nice if I could get something even remotely close. I've heard Ommegang raises their temps to upper 80's and low 90's sometimes so if that's needed on this one, it's out of my temp control range.

Game of Thrones Ale? You drink it and love it and it's wonderful but then an assassin come out of a red headed chicks cooter and kills you? Not for me.

It was my first batch of beer ever and I did it on a stove top. I think I went around 160 degrees when I was steeping the grains (on accident). And I got my wort to a boil, added the extract, then had difficulty achieving a roiling boil again. Who knows.

I think you'll be fine, did you sample it while bottling? If so, what are your thoughts at this point compared to the original? I've only done 6 batches now, but did something similar on my first brew, an Irish Red. Steeping temp got up to 162, my 2 yr old son got into some stuff in my garage while I was brewing so I had to take care of that instead of watching the temp.

Did you add the extract at the beginning of the boil or was it late addition, last 10 -15 min? With my first two brews I added all the extract at the beginning of the boil and it took some time to get back to a rolling boil. My last 3 or 4 I only add a pound or so at the beginning, to help with hop utilization, and the rest with 15 min left. I also add it slow so I can keep my rolling boil going and to make sure I don't get big clumps that don't dissolve

I just bottled it today. Stuff came up yesterday.

I tasted it briefly and I'm wicked excited.

I did the extract recipe, steeped my grains, brought to a boil, added all my extracts while stirring, then let it sit and followed the hop instructions.

Seemed pretty close to what I remember it to be like. I'll wait a week and see!

Just got the AHS weekly newsletter and it looks like they have a clone kit of this brew for sale. It lists 9lbs of extract, 1 lb base malt and 1.5 lbs specialty malt for the extract version or 11.75 lbs of base malt and 1.5 lbs of specialty malt for the all grain. It also uses Wyeast 3944 or white labs wlp400. Not sure what the rest of the ingredients are but it might be worth a shot for those interested in brewing up this beer.

I just ordered the AHS Ommegang Iron Throne Mini-mash Kit. Should be brewing it within the next few weeks. I'll post here with some pics and comments about it when its ready. Might take a while though, I've found the best results come from patience and I usually let my beer age 3 months before cracking the first bottle.

Any update on this brew. I know you said you wait around 3 months, but wanted to see if you ended throwing this together or not.

Glad you reminded me actually, I had forgot about this post. I did brew this kit, its been bottled for just over two weeks. I'll throw a few in the fridge tonight and sample them tomorrow during NFL season opener.

I'll take some pics and post a little bit of review.

Awesome, looking forward to your update and pics... and the start of football season!!!! I'm trying to line up a few beers for the winter and debating this or SWMBO Slayer for a Blonde.

The ahs kit came out very good. Kinda like a sweet hefe. Good golden color, good head retention. Light bodied, u get the grains of paradise on the finish. Very happy with this beer!

I can't compare it to the original because I can't seem to find it in my area without ordering an entire case and its almost 100 bucks.

Ill post pics later not working right from my phone.

Not the best picture in the world but here it is right after I poured it.

Its a damn good beer, but my opinions biased because I made it :D
Id definitely make it again, very session-able and I look forward to enjoying them on football sundays.

photo.jpg

I am creating a recipe based on this (iron throne). I am wondering why the recipe you posted has no hop additions after the 60 minute (15 or 3?)?

Game of thrones - should start strong, build towards a thin, red wedding, then wander for a loooong time with no end in sight.

Hey guys, Game of Thrones starts next month!! I'm going to try and make this. Should I just get the AHS recipe or try the first page recipe?

Back