Brewing again after 5 years!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taoisilent

Reaction score
Hey Gang,

After nearly a 5 year brewing hiatus (moved to a new, much smaller place, life getting in the way) I decided to start again small and simple with an extract kit from Northern Brewer. I had brewed AG for many years, batch sparging with great results. But before that I had also enjoyed good success with extract kits. Even back then, however, 5 gallons was a cumbersome volume for me to brew. I’m not a big strong strapping fellow, and 5 gallons is heavy. Also over the years I have cut down on the amount of alcohol I drink, so all things considered, 3 gallon batches make a lot of sense for me. The other benefit is that I can do a full-volume boil in a 20 quart kettle right on my stovetop!

So here’s my first 3 gallon foray:

Northern Brewer Caribou Slobber: American Brown Ale February 8, 2014

3 Gallons (Scaled from 5 Gallon Recipe kit)

0.15 lbs (2.4 oz) Briess Caramel 80
0.15 lbs (2.4 oz) Fawcett Pale Chocolate
0.075 lbs (1.2 oz) Black Malt

These specialty grains came crushed from Northern Brewer mixed together in the same bag. I weighed out 6 oz and steeped in 2 quarts of water at about 155° for 30 minutes. At the same time I was bringing 4 Gallons of water to a boil in my 20 quart brew kettle.

4.2 lbs Maillard Amber LME

Once I had added the 2 quarts of grain-steeped water and achieved my full-volume boil (about 4.5 gallons), I removed the kettle from the heat and added the LME, mixing it in well before I returned the kettle to the burner. The hot break foamed quite a bit, but never approached a boil-over, to my relief.

0.6 oz US Golding 5.2% 60 min (1 oz)
0.6 oz Liberty 4.5% 30 min (1 oz)
0.6 oz Willamette 5.3% 15 min (1 oz)

At the end of 1 hour boil, my volume was down to just above 3 Gallons, and I cooled in an ice bath (2 additions of ice and rock salt) in the sink for about 45 minutes to get below 75°.

The target OG of the 5 gallon recipe is 1.052.
My actual OG after cooling 3 gallons to room temperature was 1.049. Not too shabby

I aerated the wort in my carboy manually shaking and rolling for about 5 minutes. This is so much easier with 3 gallons! I pitched Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale activator pack that I had smacked the night before and was nicely swollen. Placed fermenter in floor-level kitchen cabinet with 40-watt light bulb keeping the temperature a steady 68°.

6 hours after pitching, there were signs of fermentation. 24 hours later I have nice active fermentation in my 5 gallon wide-mouth carboy. Airlock bubbling merrily away, and a thick 2 inch head of krausen over the beer. I had forgotten how cool active fermentation looks in a glass carboy!

So, it was a great relaxing, trouble-free brew day. 3 gallons is much more manageable for me, and I’m excited to try this beer in a couple months. I plan to let it sit in the primary for about 4 weeks, and then bottle. I use 16 oz swing-tops and usually bottle condition for about 4 weeks.

These forums have been incredibly helpful to me in reintroducing myself to brewing after so many years. I’ve re-learned some old things, and learned some new ones.

Cheers!

Jamie

IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0075.jpg

IMAG0076.jpg

Welcome back to brewing.
Caribou Slobber is one of my favorites. I hold the fermentation temperature at 64° with a swamp cooler. Yeast produces heat during active fermentation. With an ambient temperature of 68° your wort temperature is probably over 70°. I would recommend turning the bulb off to lower the temperature.
I have found the easiest way to aerate a glass carboy is sitting in a chair. Carboy on the floor between my feet and cushioned with a pine board. Just sit and shake/swirl. Couple minutes foamy all the way to the bottom.

Well the only way to becoming a big strapping fellow is lift lots of heavy stuff and eat lots of food!

CS is a great beer. Lost of room to mess it up and still produce a drinkable product. FYI my slobber batch changed and mellowed significantly over the course of 3 months. Give it some time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

Looks like everything went slick as butter.

You'll love that beer by the way. I've brewed the AG version and it's so close to the real thing. BTW, have you tried Moose Drool from the Big Sky Brewing Company, I know it's not available in your area but if you haven't you should swap with someone on this forum and give it a try!

Flars,
Unfortunately I live in an old log-cabin in the woods that’s difficult to heat. With a kerosene heater running in the main room when I’m home, I can occasionally get the room up to 70, the kitchen maybe 66. I work nights, however, and can’t leave the heater on. When I get home in the morning it’s often 55 to 61. With the Arctic vortex weather we had last month, I came home to 46 once! Heating a small cabinet is the only way I can ferment at a stable temperature.The 40-watt is keeping the cabinet between 67 and 70 whether I’m home with room air in the 60s, or at work with room air in the 50s. The thermometer strip I have on the carboy has indeed been reading 72 consistently over the past 24 hours, but Wyeast 1331 has a temperature range of 65-75, so I’m not too worried.

We think similarly about aerating the carboy. I kneel on the kitchen floor with a pillow under my knees, and an old towel under the carboy on it’s side with a bung. I roll it back and forth quickly while the wort sloshes like crazy inside.

butterpants,
Most of it will age that long. I’ll start tasting at about 4 weeks, and I drink very little these days.

estricklin,
Indeed I have tried Moose Drool - it’s the primary reason I chose the Caribou Slobber kit :). Living in Carrboro and Chapel Hill has its advantages, and we have several great local shops that stock really wonderful craft beer from all over the country!

Damn, the fermenting cabinet smells divine!!!!

If you are planning to do a few kit recipes, maybe 2.5gals would work great for you seeing as how most recipes are 5 gals. Regardless, glad you had a great brew day!

An option would be to look into purchasing a controller for heating. The STC-1000 is inexpensive and easy to wire. A couple of really good you tube videos on how to do it.
I use a 40 watt bulb to heat the sleeping quarters of the kitty that lives in our garage. Our garage kitty is a stray tom that tried living in our shed one winter 5 years ago.

Welcome back to one of lifes great pleasures...I just drank a bottle of my Caribou tonight...and after a month in the bottle ,then chilled, tastes better than ever! Love that beer....but am a Irish Red man at heart.....Welcome back..

Yat Yas !

Just bottled! Final gravity 1.009. Tastes very very good:D

Ended up with 6 1-liter bottles and 10 16-oz bottles.

Where did you get all those great swing top bottles? They are awesome! Did you buy them somewhere, or drink beer that came in them and save them? I don't recognize the bottle from any brand I know. Just curious, because I'd love to add some to my collection.

Bought them years ago at my lhbs. You can find them online as well, northern brewer carries them. They are initially expensive, compared to regular bottles, but they're a good investment. They'll last forever cause they're made of thick, heavy glass (you only need to change the gaskets every few years), and they make bottling so much easier.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Back