WARNING! Tamale Pots and All Grain BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howabouttheiris

Reaction score
Wanted to post this as I have been a huge advocate for tamale pots as used in my e-BIAB.

Had an bad brewing mishap at my place this weekend pointing out a key flaw with using a cheap tamale pot for BIAB.

When doing a large all grain batch (60+ qt pot filled to rim with water and about 20 lbs of grain) things were going well. About 10 minues into my mash, the pot started to over flow.

I quickly noticed that the weight from the grain pushing on the tamale strainer was actually crushing the walls of the pot. I had to abort and lost my grains. In the end the 3" section at the bottom of the pot was almost completely pancaked. Only my element and thru wall valve stopped it from completely flattening.

NOTE: This would not have happened if I had modified the strainer insert with standoffs to transfer the weight directly to the bottom of the pot vs the lip on the inside of the pot.

I recommend all cheap tamale pot users to limit batch size or to modify the insert.

Huh, thanks for posting this. Might save someone from some injury!

moral of the story= buy a keg and cut it open

Sorry... no photos.... :mad:

It flattened to the point where I had to pound the bottom of the pot back out so I could recover my element and valve. Today was garbage day, so it went directly into the bin.

Latest posts

Back