Recurring off flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevereno30

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've been brewing beer every two weeks this entire summer and have been loving it, except for one extremely annoying problem: every single brew has had the exact same off flavor. Thus far I've brewed a blonde ale, brown ale, pale ale and oktoberfest. My oktoberfest is lagering, and I'm planning on aging it a month, but other than that unfinished beer, the others have the same taste.

The flavor is unlike anything I know. It is kind of metallic, but also kind of pear peach like, but also kind of alcoholic. Describing flavors is not my strong suit. In every beer, the flavor was non existent when kegging. They all had a nice strong malt character and were quite delicious. After carbing and conditioning, the malt character disappeared almost entirely to be replaced by this awful flavor.

Now for some info on my setup... I'm doing all grain in an orange barrel cooler tun with stainless fittings. My mash pH has always fallen between 5.2 and 5.8. I boil in an aluminum turkey fryer and chill using a home made counterflow copper chiller. I ferment in buckets in a kegerator controlled by a brewpi. I pitch dry yeast directly without rehydration (next batch I'm going to rehydrate at 100F and cool my yeast cream to fermentation temp before pitching). I sanitize everything with StarSan except for the mash tun chiller and brew kettle. Those I just rinse with clean water and let air dry then sanitize with boiling water before using again.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is ditching all grain and going back to extract. This flavor never appeared in any beer brewed before all grain. If it was a slight taste, it would be tolerable yet frustrating. But this is making brewing a waste of time and money. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Do you use municipal water? If you do , what do you treat it with? What yeast are you using? What is the wort temperature in the first three days of active fermentation? How long do you primary?

Could you be tasting carbonic acid from your keg carbonation? How do your beers pour?

Rehydrate yeast in water about 85°F.
http://www.brewwithfermentis.com/tips-tricks/yeast-rehydration/

What are you doing to aerate your wort? Sometimes, diacetyl pops up later if the precursor for it is present, so that's something to think about too.

Review your sanitation practices, often wild yeast or bacteria can take some time to appear. See if the FG is going down any by degassing a sample from your keg every week or so and checking it.

Do you use municipal water? If you do , what do you treat it with? What yeast are you using? What is the wort temperature in the first three days of active fermentation? How long do you primary?
I do use municipal water. I add a quarter campden tablet to my strike and Sparge Water. My yeast is us 05. My wort temperature is 65 +- 0.2 for the entirety of fermentation. I primary for 2-3 weeks then keg. Carbonic acid is possible, but my beers seem to be under carbonated no matter how high I set the co2 and no matter how long I let it sit around 15psi at 40f... Keg carbonation has been frustratingly difficult for me.

What are you doing to aerate your wort? Sometimes, diacetyl pops up later if the precursor for it is present, so that's something to think about too.
I dump my wort between my fermenter and my rinsed kettle until there is so much foam the lid just barely fits. I will definitely check my gravity to make sure it hasn't dropped since kegging.

Thanks for the quick replies!

I do use municipal water. I add a quarter campden tablet to my strike and Sparge Water. My yeast is us 05. My wort temperature is 65 +- 0.2 for the entirety of fermentation. I primary for 2-3 weeks then keg. Carbonic acid is possible, but my beers seem to be under carbonated no matter how high I set the co2 and no matter how long I let it sit around 15psi at 40f... Keg carbonation has been frustratingly difficult for me.

I dump my wort between my fermenter and my rinsed kettle until there is so much foam the lid just barely fits. I will definitely check my gravity to make sure it hasn't dropped since kegging.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Sounds like what the batches have in common is the same water. What is your water profile like? Can you get that from your city?

This is exactly what I thought, but the water isn't consistent. I've used water from my tap diluted with distilled water (my water is way to hard even for the darkest stouts), and I've used water from my sister's house who has a profile vastly different from mine. Either way, I've ran my water reports through brun water to make sure everything is OK on each of the three brews in question. Also, for the gravity question earlier, my gravity is about where it was at kegging.

This is exactly what I thought, but the water isn't consistent. I've used water from my tap diluted with distilled water (my water is way to hard even for the darkest stouts), and I've used water from my sister's house who has a profile vastly different from mine. Either way, I've ran my water reports through brun water to make sure everything is OK on each of the three brews in question. Also, for the gravity question earlier, my gravity is about where it was at kegging.

Being "ok according to Bru'nwater" may not be ideal. We'd have to look at the actual make up of the water to know what sort of flavor impact the water would have. A mash pH of 5.8 is generally too high, and will cause some astringent/harsh flavors in most cases.

Keg carbonation is another matter- it sounds like your beer is carbed up, but losing carbonation on the way to the glass. That sounds like the lines are too short, and simply lengthening them to 10-12' of 3/16" line and keeping the psi at 12-14 psi would fix that. If your lines need to be cleaned, that would also help narrow down the off flavors you're getting. It's possible that the beer is picking up poor flavor from contaminated lines.

The water in using is Minneapolis water. It's profile can be found here. My mash pH has never gone above 5.7, i just used that range because it is the range people typically shoot for.

My line is 8 feet long and the beer does not pour foamy. It just doesn't have the mouth feel of carbonated beer. Also, the line is new. I replaced it thinking it was the problem. The faucet and hardware got a good soak in oxyclean and were then sanitized in iodiphor.

Hey everyone. I've been brewing beer every two weeks this entire summer and have been loving it, except for one extremely annoying problem: every single brew has had the exact same off flavor. Thus far I've brewed a blonde ale, brown ale, pale ale and oktoberfest. My oktoberfest is lagering, and I'm planning on aging it a month, but other than that unfinished beer, the others have the same taste.

The flavor is unlike anything I know. It is kind of metallic, but also kind of pear peach like, but also kind of alcoholic. Describing flavors is not my strong suit. In every beer, the flavor was non existent when kegging. They all had a nice strong malt character and were quite delicious. After carbing and conditioning, the malt character disappeared almost entirely to be replaced by this awful flavor.

Now for some info on my setup... I'm doing all grain in an orange barrel cooler tun with stainless fittings. My mash pH has always fallen between 5.2 and 5.8. I boil in an aluminum turkey fryer and chill using a home made counterflow copper chiller. I ferment in buckets in a kegerator controlled by a brewpi. I pitch dry yeast directly without rehydration (next batch I'm going to rehydrate at 100F and cool my yeast cream to fermentation temp before pitching). I sanitize everything with StarSan except for the mash tun chiller and brew kettle. Those I just rinse with clean water and let air dry then sanitize with boiling water before using again.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is ditching all grain and going back to extract. This flavor never appeared in any beer brewed before all grain. If it was a slight taste, it would be tolerable yet frustrating. But this is making brewing a waste of time and money. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I messed up my first few all grain beers by letting them ferment at too high a temperature and ended up with a similar sounding fruity and alcoholic flavour. It seemed to get worse over the first three months before mellowing a bit but pretty much ruined the beer. It sounds the same but you seem to have decent temperature control. How hot is it getting?

How did you say you sanitized your CF chiller? It is the very best place in your gear for a unstoppable infection. I store mine sealed up with plain water in it to keep bugs out and sanitize with Starsan on brew day. It also helps if you rinse it with hot water right after using it. Don't let wort sit in it and start growing bacteria for a few hours.
Consider getting an oxygen stone, too. Pouring your wort back and forth open to the air is guaranteed to inoculate it with wild stuff.

What yeast are you using? I had a fruity/ sharp alcohol, flavor using Nottingham that fermented too warm, during a heat wave. Some of those yeasts like low sixties for best ferment temps. I do well with Safale 05 at about 68 degrees.

Back