Please help converting AG to partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lechien

Reaction score
I found this AG recipe I want to try but can only do Partials at the moment. Could someone in the know convert it for me. It is supposed Magic Hat Vinyl clone.

9lbs 2 row
1lb Munich(dark)
.75lb Crystal 40
.25 Victory

OG 1.060
FG 1.0019

I'll add the hops as scheduled in the original recipe.
Thank You

If you can at least mash some of the 2 row, then you could go with:

6# Light Extract (LME/DME)
2# 2 Row
10oz Munich malt
8oz Caramel malt 40L
4oz Victory malt

Should get you into the same range as the AG version...

You'll save $$ if you go to 4# extract, and 5 pounds of 2 Row...

I've got a 5 gallon Mashtun. After looking at a chart by Bobby_M I think I can fit all the grains in and make this my first AG. I would have to boil in two separate pots after mashing though.

Does this sound reasonable?

I've got a 5 gallon Mashtun. After looking at a chart by Bobby_M I think I can fit all the grains in and make this my first AG. I would have to boil in two separate pots after mashing though.

Does this sound reasonable?

You could do 1.25qt/# for the mash water... Sparge twice if you need to, in order to get your pre-boil volume... For a 60 minute boil, mashing with 1.25qt/#, you'll need to sparge with about 3.6 gallons... If the tun won't take that at one time, sparge twice.

Your grain cost will be less than what you would pay for just three pounds of DME/LME at most LHBS's...

I use the Green Bay Racker's page to figure out if the mash will fit...

If it was me, I'd just mash it in what you have... Get a larger MLT, or BIAB when you have larger grain bills. Have some DME on hand in case you miss your OG mark and you'll be fine...

Remember, RDWHAHB...

Thank You BendBrewer and Golddiggie for your help. It appears I can AG this, I will get some DME in case my FG is off and have bookmarked the Green Bay Racker link.
I'll toast the two of you in couple months when this is ready:mug:

Just for giggles, what are you making? Without the hops and yeast, it's not clear (to me at least)... :drunk:

I think we should put together a North Eastern Home Brewers shindig in a couple of months... Once the snow is gone, and before the heat comes in... :rockin:

I don't like the idea of getting Yankee and RedSox fans together in the same place with alcohol involved.

On second thought, could be fun.

I don't like the idea of getting Yankee and RedSox fans together in the same place with alcohol involved.

On second thought, could be fun.

Well, if we meet in MA, no guns will be involved. :eek:

Personally, I don't care about either team... Don't care about football teams either (even though I have plenty of gear with the local team name on it)... Last time I cared about basketball teams, Bird was on the Celtics...

Now, if we meet in VT or NH, hooooboy... :drunk:

Just for giggles, what are you making? Without the hops and yeast, it's not clear (to me at least)... :drunk:

I think we should put together a North Eastern Home Brewers shindig in a couple of months... Once the snow is gone, and before the heat comes in... :rockin:

What the heck do I need yeast and hops for???

But really, this is supposed to be a Magic Hat Vinyl Clone according to this link.

I'm only about 4 Partial Mashes into this hobby and can't come up with anything original on my own yet.
I hope it produces something drinkable.

What the heck do I need yeast and hops for???

But really, this is supposed to be a Magic Hat Vinyl Clone according to this link.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/andy-ts-magic-hat-vynel-clone-162833/

I'm only about 4 Partial Mashes into this hobby and can't come up with anything original on my own yet.
I hope it produces something drinkable.

It's almost always 'drinkable'... Now, if it's what you were actually looking to have, or not, that can be a different story...

I did three extract batches, one partial mash (I called it a PM, but it was more of AG with 3# DME to boost it up) and now four AG batches under my belt... Or maybe over my belt, since the belt seems to be shrinking somehow. :drunk: Really enjoying the cost savings with AG, especially if you're rinsing/washing yeast (I'm using Wyeast strains)...

I've been making my own recipe's since the partial mash batch (modifed the extract batches from the start)... It can be difficult to come up with a recipe, at least right now, that meets my target flavor, body, ABV and such. I'm sure that I'll eventually get it nailed.

I did pick up the 200 clone recipe book, and just ordered the new clone book put out by the BYO people... At least gives me more of a base recipe to work with than shooting blind.

Looking forward to brewing my MegaTon BarleyWine... 25.5# of grain for a 5.25 gallon batch (into the fermenter)... That's going to be a long boil (or a hard one)... Looking at making it early next month (March)... Hope it's in a drinkable state within 9-12 months. I do plan on aging some for multiple years. Also got a braggot recipe in the works... Not sure how long that one will take before it's ready for drinking...

Back