Using a Sanke keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genommen

Reaction score
I have already kegged using a Corny keg, and have been asked if I could use a sanke keg. In searching around I have found plenty of opinions on this and lots of other information.

What I am looking for is more of a guide of what needs to be done in order to use such a keg, especially anything different from a corny keg. Do not worry asking about legality issues this keg is owned and obtained legally.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Yes. You can do it...But there is a ball inside the coupler to prevent a backflow. In order to carbonate the beer you need to remove that (meaning you can't use it for serving). You also have to push your beer to the keg using pressure (unless you feel like removing the stem).

It's easier to see it...I'd head down to your local brewery and make friends with the poor sap who empties the mash tun and fills kegs for deliveries.

I have seen pictures of what you are referring to, and have seen tutorials on removing the stem to fill, after which there must be a way to carbonate. I fell you can get pressure into the keg otherwise how would the classic hand pump tap work?

I know I can't, but it does prove that it can pressurize the keg. For my point that just shows something can get passed that ball you referred to.

Yeah...Maybe the ball is for filling...I don't remember...It's been a long day and I haven't been around sankes for a while. But it can be done...We'll stick with that as my grain of knowledge for the evening :p

All you need is a Sanke coupler with a gas-in barb and a beer-out port. I got mine on Ebay and it looks similar to the one below. You just treat it like a corny keg as far as carbonating and pressures are concerned.

7485E.jpg

Does it use a different fitting for the barb or would it be the same as for a corny?

In order to use sanke style kegs you need...

Sanke Tap, plus a Tailpeice, Wingnut, and Washer to connect to your beerline.

Also the barb on that tap for your gas line is larger than the barb on standard corny connections so you'll need a larger diameter hose for your gas line.

It uses what ever size bard you put on the gas line connector. Go HERE Give them a call and tell them what you need to do, they'll put together everything you need to order.

If you want to make a beer and serve it out of a sanke keg... you gots ta do it in a few steps.

first... you gotta clean the sanke. The only way I know of to clean a sanke (assuming you don't own a professional brewery keg-cleaner) is to take the dip tube out and clean it by hand. I ferment in un-cut sankes and have taken all of the dip tubes out of mine. It takes about 90 seconds and you can easily google how to do it. (if not, let me know and I'll tell you). To clean it, what I have done is a several step process.
1) rinse it out as well as possible with the hottest water you can get out of your tap
2) fill it with same hot water and PBW... all the way to the top... let it sit overnight.
3) Rinse it, add a little more hot water, more PBW and systematically scrub in the inside with a carboy brush
4) rinse really well
5) put two gallons or so of water in it, place a piece of tin foil over the top, poke a tiny hole in the tin foil and then place the whole thing on your turkey fryer (assuming you have one) and let the thing heat up adn then shoot steam for a good 20 minutes
6) rinse... Star san & water... shake shake shake
7) flip over and let dry

... I think this is all just a little overkill but that's how I do it just to make triple sure you're not picking up any crap from the old beer that was in it.

Second... you need to fill the sanke with your beer. That's easy... just siphon the beer in.

Third... you need to put the dip tube assembly back in. AFTER THAT IS ALL CLEANED AND SANITIZED. If you took it out, you'lll know how to put it back in.

Fourth... Pressurize the keg. You'll need a CO2 tank and the sanke coupler that is pictured above in another post. Simply tap the keg with the coupler and force carb it like you would a corny keg. NOTE: Obviously make sure you have a picnic tap or something on the "beer-out" line of the coupler or you'll just spray beer all over the place.

Five.... tap keg and drink beer. for this you can either use the CO2 tank and coupler set up you used to pressurize it OR you can simply use a hand pump. If you're going to use the hand pump, you just need to finish the whole keg in... pretty much... one sitting because as soon as the air gets to it, it'll start funkifying. If you use CO2, it'll be good for a long long time.

After the fourth step - Once you pressurize the keg, do you disconnect the coupler or do you just leave it the coupler on?

I just bought a Haier Kegerator that has the Sanke set up. I bit the bullet and bought a sanke 1/16th keg to test the whole thing. So now I'm ready to start figuring out how to get brew into the keg.

I've seen the sight that shows how to dissemble the keg, but is their a good guide with pics to show how to put it back together? I could probably figure it out, but I'd rather have a guide if I could.

Either or... you can leave it on if you want or take it off.

Personally, i would take it off until the beer is carbed and you are ready to tap it to drink. Then you can lower the pressure (assuming your force carbing at high PSI) down to a "drinking pressure" and pour away.

It's really easy to take a keg apart and put it back together.

There is a clip ring just inside the opening at the top of the keg. With a little work with a tiny screwdriver, you can pop it out. Once out, you have to spin the whole dip tube assembly.. (can't remember if it is a quater turn or a half turn) and then the dip tube assembly will unlock and pop right out. There is a decent chance you'll have to tap the assembly with a larger screwdriver and a hammer to get it to spin.

When putting it back in, you just do the reverse: put the tube in and spin it to lock it in place and then pop in the clip ring.

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE!! Make sure you bleed all of the air/pressure out of the keg before you try to remove the dip tube. You don't want that sucker coming shooting outta there at 22 feet per second.

Back