An upgradable Kegging System...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxofRain

Reaction score
Hi folks. Just pulled the trigger on my first 4 Cornies and am doing a bit of research. :ban:

I don't have the space now for a dedicated kegerator or keezer. I do however have access to a fridge in which I can use as a kegerator but can't modify. I'm looking to create a setup from which I can expand upon in the future. From the wealth of knowledge on this forum this is what i was thinking about setting up. (I would like to keep two kegs in rotation)

5# co2 tank (in fridge ok?)

2/8-10 lengths of food grade 3/16 tubing (length and diameter to prevent foaming)

Picnic taps (I understand that they need to be fully opened when poured to prevent foaming)

This regulator (It's expensive but expandable)

What are we thinking here, folks?

1) Does anything here jump out at you as seriously wrong?
2) Any other suggestions on equipment and setup?
3) Can I do this (regulator in particular) for less $$ and still be able to dispense at two different pressures?

I'll have some followup questions regarding logistics of kegs on deck, but this is the most pertinent for me as of now.

Thanks everyone! :rockin:

1. Nothing serious. I would have my length of bev tubing @ 5' each if you dont need any longer.
2.keg lube, disconnects?
3. Nope? I dont think so, and the price of the regulator is fair IMO

You sound like me when I started to keg. I had an apartment and was doing extract batches. I didn't really have the space for a kegerator so I got 2 3 gallon kegs and took a shelf out of my fridge and it worked pretty good. I could have gone with 5 gallon kegs but I would not have any shelves for food, which is crap now that i look back on it because I was your typical bachelor and never had anything besides lunch meat, cheese, and mayo anyway (and of course, beer).

for the regs you listed, you're buying two primary regulators. Which is why it's $100.

buy a single one
Beer Regulator - Double Gauge - CO2 Primary - Premium Series
Then add on these:
American Science & Surplus : Multi-Kegger Kinda Guy?
You'll need to get valves (check surplus sites and ebay. I paid $25 for 6 valves shipped.)
And then shutoffs: (Superprod is $5 cheaper than most other places)
- Superior Products
You'll need a few 1/4" pipe nipples from HD/Lowes and some teflon tape.

So for about $20 per secondary reg setup you could have 3 or almost 4 different pressures for the same $100.

Once my valves get here I'll be posing a how to thread.

B

1. Nothing serious. I would have my length of bev tubing @ 5' each if you dont need any longer.
2.keg lube, disconnects?
3. Nope? I dont think so, and the price of the regulator is fair IMO

Ok I knew about the keg lube, but forgot about the disconnects. Need to research those. I tell you I am GREEN when it comes to kegging. Good to know that I can get away with 5' and not foam.

You sound like me when I started to keg. I had an apartment and was doing extract batches. I didn't really have the space for a kegerator so I got 2 3 gallon kegs and took a shelf out of my fridge and it worked pretty good. I could have gone with 5 gallon kegs but I would not have any shelves for food, which is crap now that i look back on it because I was your typical bachelor and never had anything besides lunch meat, cheese, and mayo anyway (and of course, beer).

Well this is a second fridge that doesn't belong to me, so no drilling. We're currently in the market to buy a house but I want to wait up on building a proper kegerator or keezer until I know how much room I'm dealing with.

for the regs you listed, you're buying two primary regulators. Which is why it's $100.

buy a single one
Beer Regulator - Double Gauge - CO2 Primary - Premium Series
Then add on these:
American Science & Surplus : Multi-Kegger Kinda Guy?
You'll need to get valves (check surplus sites and ebay. I paid $25 for 6 valves shipped.)
And then shutoffs: (Superprod is $5 cheaper than most other places)
- Superior Products
You'll need a few 1/4" pipe nipples from HD/Lowes and some teflon tape.

So for about $20 per secondary reg setup you could have 3 or almost 4 different pressures for the same $100.

Once my valves get here I'll be posing a how to thread.

B

Thanks...I'll keep an eye out to check your progress. So I would attach the second reg up to the splitter?

I just checked the specs on the regs I listed. Max input PSI is 1800, so my original thought of just putting them in line with the Primary reg doesn't work. You'll have to hook up the output of the primary to the bank of secondary regs.

I'm going to put a splitter on the primary and have a hose for force carbing. That way I don't have to change out one of my kegs to carb up a new keg.

B

I just checked the specs on the regs I listed. Max input PSI is 1800, so my original thought of just putting them in line with the Primary reg doesn't work. You'll have to hook up the output of the primary to the bank of secondary regs.

I'm going to put a splitter on the primary and have a hose for force carbing. That way I don't have to change out one of my kegs to carb up a new keg.

B

Hey I didn't realize you live in NYC. Me too! Where abouts? :off:

I have to admit that even though I'm sure in practice this is very easy, I'm out of my comfort zone. Should I just stick with my original double regulator?

I'm in brooklyn.

if you aren't going to be kegging up more than one batch now, go with a single primary.

Later you can get either a passive splitter, or a full secondary regulator, depending on needs and budget.

B

I'm in brooklyn.

if you aren't going to be kegging up more than one batch now, go with a single primary.

Later you can get either a passive splitter, or a full secondary regulator, depending on needs and budget.

B

I have three batches that will be ready to keg once I get this all set up. One apfelwine a nut brown and a dry stout. (carbonating a stout with co2 is another question I have actually)

I'm right at the the end of Flatbush Avenue on the other side of the Marine Park Bridge. (you probably figured that one out anyway.) Any good beer distributors with a decent selection out by you. Rockaway strikes out in the distributor category.

I have this setup: 2 Keg Basic Keg Kit, Dispenses two kegs at once! (Separate Check Valves!)
I bought an extra keg at the time, and then 4 more later on. This works for me- I just have the set up in an apartment-sized fridge (two kegs fit, plus the co2 tank). I'd like a full sized fridge, or better, a keezer, but it just isn't going to happen for me unless a free fridge drops from the sky. I've done this almost a year now, and I'm very happy with the set up.

The original regulator you picked is a dual and it allows you to select different pressures for each keg. Kind of handy at times if you want to quickly carb one keg while drinking the other. If you think you need that option at times then I would stick with that regulator. The tank becomes a bit tipsy because the regulators hang out so far on the tank so some form of support is needed.

I have a similar question; with that regulator that Yooper posted, lets say I have one keg that I've been drinking for a week, I want to keg another brew. I have to have both kegs cranked up to ~20 psi, so I can't drink the first keg during those few days that I'm force carbing the 2nd brew? And then both kegs have to be at the same psi after that, too, right?

I have a similar question; with that regulator that Yooper posted, lets say I have one keg that I've been drinking for a week, I want to keg another brew. I have to have both kegs cranked up to ~20 psi, so I can't drink the first keg during those few days that I'm force carbing the 2nd brew? And then both kegs have to be at the same psi after that, too, right?

With that set up you could be drinking one keg until you need to force carb a new one. When you need to force carb the new keg you could disconnect/shut off the gas from the current keg and then carb the new keg. Meanwhile you can still drink from the current keg cause it will still have pressure in it. If the pressure gets low lower the pressure from the regulator and top off the pressure then shut if back off and continue to drink and carb....

It's really easy to get carried away and over engineer these things. I guess if you want a system where you never have to touch your regulators then you will need a bunch of regulartors but otherwise there is some fiddling but it's on the cheap side.

That's easy enough. Right now I'm cheaper than I am lazy, so I'll stick with a single regulator and several valves. thanks!

Back