Max CO2 for bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer Gerard

Reaction score
I recently brewed dubbeldachs orange hefeweizen and I'm almost at the end of secondary fermentation. I'll be bottling this one so I've been trying to work out the priming volumes. Reading up about the correct CO2 volumes for the style both an article about the hefeweizen style and also the calculator at tasty brew recommends 3.5 to 4.5

I suppose the question I have is to what volume can you safely carbonate a bottle? I'm reusing duvel bottles that seem to be fairly thick walled if that makes sense.
:mug:

That seems really high for a hefe, are you sure you punched in the numbers in a calculator correctly? Most hefes are carbed in industry standard beer bottles which means they have to be carbed to below 3.5 volumes....like most beers.

Your Dvuel bottles indedd are rated higher, but still something is fishy with your numbers.

I've done a hefe @ 4.3 volumes with regular beer bottles with no problems. Duvel's should be even better.

Great stuff hammy, that gives me a bit of peace of mind. Still gonna store them as safely as possible tho.

Hmm you learn something new everyday....I never knew they were carbed that high.

Hefeweizen CO2 volume argument

Just had a read over it revvy, that is absolutely golden. It's not often you get the info you need when you ask a question on any forum and that just about covers everythin. :mug:

Back