Keg for future use: Carbonate now or Later?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
I'm going to transfer into a keg in a few weeks but I don't plan to enjoy this beer until next month for a little house winter party. A few questions that have probably been asked before, so I apologize in advance:

1) I have the option to keep this keg cold, or not ( maybe as high at 60f).
2) Should I carbonate the keg
a). immediately, disconnect and store, or
b). carbonate a week before use, leaving the beer kegged and resting until then?
3) Does the option change depending on if the beer is kept cool or not?

Thanks for your help.

Carb it cold, and for 2+ weeks. Or preferably until next month. The cold storage should improve your beer, and carbing now will give the co2 enough time to absorb completely into your beer.

Unless you need the space?

Carb it cold, and for 2+ weeks. Or preferably until next month. The cold storage should improve your beer, and carbing now will give the co2 enough time to absorb completely into your beer.

Unless you need the space?

I MIGHT need the space for a 10 gal lager project this winter...

So you're saying carb it, disconnect, and store cold?

What style of beer is it? Most beers will benefit from cold storage, but not all. Especially if it is a higher ABV beer, it may be better off sitting at room temp to age it faster.

As far as the carbonation, it doesn't really matter if you carb it before or after, so just do whichever is more convenient.

You could carb it warm, I don't think it really matters. That would just be my preference. Cold liquids just absorb co2 more rapidly than warm. And If it's for a party I don't think I'd want to risk not having enough time to carb up.

Back