Easy way to remove beer line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chode720

Reaction score
:drunk:Is there any way to easily remove beer line once its hooked up to the faucet? I like to change out my beer lines to have the right length based on the carbonation PSI, etc....

When I put the line on, I soaked the end in hot water and it slid right on, but yesterday I went to pull the line off and since it was in the fridge for a few months, it was almost locked on there it was so tight!

What does everyone do to get the lines off easily? Could I just soak a paper towel in hot water and put it over the line? There has to be some trick im just not thinking of.....

You will need to cut it off of the barb. The fitting is designed to grab the line and hold it so you would have to get it ridiculously warm to remove it just by pulling it.

If you want to switch them out, you should get the threaded fittings.

I personally dislike threaded fittings because they can leak and barbed fittings essentially never do. Opinions on this diverge violently. I only remove the line to dispose of it. Yearly roughly.

What you can do is choose lines that are on the short side of your requirement and then if you have a beer with a higher psi, slow the flow down in a way other than using a longer line.

The best solution to this problem, by far, is these epoxy mixers that you can buy for like a buck a piece from McMaster Carr.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/cure-your-short-hose-troubles-100151/

There is the thread about them.

Hair dryer would heat it up enough to take off, but the plastic is going to be deformed after being on the barb and you'll probably have to cut off the end anyways.

Since I was pulling the whole faucet apart to clean, I pulled the shank through the fridge and dipped the whole thing in hot water and the hose came right off. After cleaning it, I put it all back together, and the hose went back on the barb, no issues....

Chode
I't best to cut off that peice that got "barbed" as it's less likely to seal well, and also more likely to harbor bacteris in those abrasions made from the first attachment.

Chode
I't best to cut off that peice that got "barbed" as it's less likely to seal well, and also more likely to harbor bacteris in those abrasions made from the first attachment.

+1

Beer line is cheap. That inch or so of hose you saved ain't worth the time to heat it up to remove and replace let alone the beer it could leak.

Back