Co2 regulator creep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crockus

Reaction score
New to kegging. Kegged a batch saturday. Used the shake method to force carb it. But I have noticed that my regulator pressure creeps up through out the day. Is this over carbed beer gas creeping into the line? Or is my new regulator no good. I had it set at 10psi for serving last night this morning it was at 30psi. I bleed it off reset to 10 and today its gone back up 15-20psi. Any ideas?

Check to see if the regulator does it when it's disconnected from the keg. If it only does it when attached to the keg, chances are the beer is overcarbed. CO2 is coming out of solution to try to re-equilibrate the pressure. Just keep venting (or drinking) and it will eventually come down. If this is what's happening, it's a common result of improper burst carbing. Next time I'd recommend the "set and forget" method.

If the regulator still does it without the keg attached, there's probably some debris in the diaphragm. You can take it apart to check it out, or try blasting it clean. To do that, turn off the tank, then disconnect any tubing, open a valve, open the regulator all the way (turn it clockwise). Crack the tank a couple times to blast CO2 through. That's worked for a few people.

Good luck! :mug:

Ive disconnected the keg to see if it does it with out it connected. Thanks for the info.

More than likely a small piece of trash is caught inside the regulating element.
Sometimes you can clear it by:

1. Do this outside!!!
2. Disconnect the line going from the regulator to the keg.
3. With the CO2 tank valve closed, turn the adjust screw in as far as it will go.
4. Rapidly open & close the CO2 tank valve a few times - each time you do this a lot of CO2 will blow out of the regulator.
5. Back the adjustment screw out until it's loose.
6. Reconnect the line going to the keg.
7. Adjust your pressure to where it needs to be & watch the gauge.

Most of the time your creeping regulator problem will be gone because the blasts of CO2 you put through the regulator blew out whatever was in there.

With it disconnected the creep has stopped. I bled off the excessive pressure from the keg and pulled a few pints from it so far it seems good. If it does it again overnight I will try the blow the methods listed. Thanks for all the advice.

Update: Seems just a case of over carbed beer. Live in learn I guess all is well with the world.

Back