Stovetop Pasteurization Time and Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CadillacAndy

Reaction score
I know this info is out there already, but it's deep in a thread and wanted to post it again for easier searching.

I just did a quick experiment using a 16oz bottle of water with a thermometer in it - along with my other bottles I was pasteurizing. I heated the pot of water up to 180F and put in 7 16oz bottles (6 capped cider and 1 uncapped water with thermometer). The temp of the water was up to 140F in less than 5 mins. I've been letting them go for 16 mins (I figured a min/oz would be enough).

Based on my understanding the cider temp needs to be 140F+ for over 76 seconds to kill the yeast. So that being said, the internal temp of the bottles (16oz at least) reaches 140F in about 5 mins.

Hope this info helps! Let me know if anyone has questions or needs pictures of anything. I have 2 more cases to do tonight so I'm happy to help!

I don't use the stove top pasteurization method, because I keg carb, but I believe I recall that many people heat just long enough to bring the temp of the liquid inside the bottle to 60 C for 10 seconds. (140 Fahrenheit)

Here's the most recent thread on this that I know of, Home Pasteurizing. Just a few posts down is one the "10 Seconds" references. I could be wrong about all this, though.

Jonas

i just put mine in the pot and slowly bring the temp up to 160 and let them sit for 10 mins. It has been working fine for me

I've been letting mine go for 10 minutes as well. I was concerned that I was using 16oz bottles instead of 12oz bottles, so I did the test just so it was documented.

Latest posts

Back