Hawaiian Punch Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhambrewer

Reaction score
So i stumbled apon this thread about hawaiian punch

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/can-you-make-hawaiian-punch-wine-185711/

Ingredients:
Gallon of Hawaiian Punch (1.97 from target)
Table Sugar
Red Star Cuvee Yeast

Bumped the SG up to about 9% and plan on stopping fermentation with campden tablets, and sweeten with HP to taste.

Ill keep you guys updated on how it ferments.

While staying mostly on topic:
What other juices can you ferment out?

it's the GIGO principle- garbage in, garbage out. if you make things from nice ingredients you tend to get nice results. it is certainly possible (speaking from experience) to make disgusting things from nice ingredients. but i haven't seen much in the way of nice things made from disgusting ingredients, and i would certainly classify hawaiian punch as disgusting. but we all have different tastes and i don't mean to offend yours, so if you make something you enjoy then well done.

I think dinnerstick is right; found this list of ingredients on the Hawaiian Punch website:

fruit juicy red
CONTAINS: WATER, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP AND 2% OR LESS OF EACH OF THE FOLLOWING: CONCENTRATED JUICES (PINEAPPLE, ORANGE, PASSIONFRUIT AND APPLE), PUREES (APRICOT, PAPAYA, GUAVA), CITRIC ACID, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, PECTIN, GUM ACACIA, GUM GHATTI, GLYCEROL ESTER OF WOOD ROSIN, SODIUM HEXAMETAPHOSPHATE, RED #40, BLUE #1, SODIUM BENZOATE AND POTASSIUM SORBATE (PRESERVATIVES) AND ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C).

I think the sodium benzoate & potassium sorbate are going to give you some problems, not to mention what all those other chemicals are going to do to the taste of your end product. Though I guess what's important here is whether or not YOU like it. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it, more for you. Regards, GF.

Any juice will do. I have some recipes posted using Welch's juices and apple juice. The issue is that sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate are preservatives and won't ferment.

Also, keep in mind that campden tablets don't stop fermentation so your plan "on stopping fermentation with campden tablets, and sweeten with HP to taste" will cause bottle bombs.

Any juice will do. I have some recipes posted using Welch's juices and apple juice. The issue is that sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate are preservatives and won't ferment.

Also, keep in mind that campden tablets don't stop fermentation so your plan "on stopping fermentation with campden tablets, and sweeten with HP to taste" will cause bottle bombs.

To piggyback on this, I am in the midst of a bottle bomb experiment with my newell cider clone (amber and raspberry) variations. I cold crashed 24hrs, racked off into sorbate (1/4 rounded tsp per gal) and sulfited at 30PPM. then added my back sweetening, keg carbed and bottled. Have left two bottles in 70F area in a box, waiting for a bang.... nothing yet.

Point being,... I think after 4+ weeks, this was an effective method.

If there is sorbate and benzoate in the hawian punch, I think you will have a hard time getting a good fermentation.

If I was going to do something like this - I would try to add some fruit ingredients that brought a whole lot of fruit essence with them without adding a bunch of sugar....

Some suggestions:
Black grape hulls
Orange/lemon/lime/grapefruit rind/zest
Sliced up frozen strawberries
Etc....

On the second question - you can ferment anything that has sugar in it....
If you are really curious about the sorts of things you can make into wine... Check out Jack Keller's wine making pages.....

There is a recipe in there for literally everything that can be made into non-poisonous wine.... Acorn wine? Yep... Oak leaves wine... Yep... Etc.

I haven't seen grass clippings wine or nail clippings wine or dog hair wine... but I bet someone has tried it out.

Thanks

To piggyback on this, I am in the midst of a bottle bomb experiment with my newell cider clone (amber and raspberry) variations. I cold crashed 24hrs, racked off into sorbate (1/4 rounded tsp per gal) and sulfited at 30PPM. then added my back sweetening, keg carbed and bottled. Have left two bottles in 70F area in a box, waiting for a bang.... nothing yet.

Point being,... I think after 4+ weeks, this was an effective method.

If there is sorbate and benzoate in the hawian punch, I think you will have a hard time getting a good fermentation.

Right- I think racking onto the sorbate, cold crashing AND sulfiting will work just fine. But adding campden and then sweetening will just cause bottle bombs as campden doesn't kill active wine yeast.

+1 - Right- I think racking onto the sorbate, cold crashing AND sulfiting will work just fine. But adding campden and then sweetening will just cause bottle bombs as campden doesn't kill active wine yeast.

camden alone doesn't stand a chance

Camden supresses yeast - but commercial yeasts will prevail. Sorbate inhibits yeast reproduction. Nothing really "kills" the yeast - I agree 100%

A lot of people have that common misconception. Somebody should put a sticky up about "how to backsweeten". A VERY frequent question.

I guess I will just stove top pasteurize it then.

Wasn't too set on a plan. Just kind of threw it togeather and was going to "fake it till you make it".

Latest posts

Back