1st batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hroth521

Reaction score
Sunday November 8, 2009

5 gallons pasteurized, no preservative cider
whole foods, plastic jug, $6/gallon
cider yeast 4766 packet from wyeast
initial s.g. 1.048
didn't give the yeast a head start, just smashed the inner packet and pitched. initially temp was low (60 F in the closet) but moved to 70 deg by first evening.
No bubbles Sunday November 8, 2009

by monday morning 1 bubble every 30 seconds, monday evening every 15 seconds. Tues morning every 1-2 seconds.

Monday november 16 - sg = 1.000 (about 6% alcohol)
racked to better bottle carboy. tastes dry, appley, fruity, tart at end, no off flavors.

put into closet @ about 60 degrees
November 22 - one bubble every minute or so.

took the lees from the first batch and put them in quart jars in the refrigerator. Has settled. Have been tasting fairly regularly. Not much fruit, dry, lovely finish though of apples and a little tart. Very pleasant. Based on what I've since read, the cider yeast is probably not the best as it ferments the fruit flavor away.

December 8, SG 0.0998 time to bottle I can't stand waiting.
3/4 cup priming sugar, rack into 2nd better carboy and bottle.

Juice is clearing but still hazy. Not much fruit on the attack but body is good, fruity and appley. Finish remains long and pleasant. I'll probably taste 1 bottle a week to see how it progresses and expect to really start drinking it in March or so.

My second batch is a "New England Style" with raisins and honey. Still in the primary fermenter after 2 weeks. Probably rack into secondary next week or so. This one had sulphur smell for a week or so but has begun to clear off.

Yeah, so in the interest of "science" I tasted the first bottle of the first batch today, 3 days after bottling. It's got a little frizzante, not yet carbonated really. Kind of quiet actually, probably bottle shock. Faint flavor of granny apples, kind of sour, little aroma, OK finish. Can't wait to see how it evolves. Will probably rack the 2nd batch next week (heritage juice, 1 lb raisins, 1 1/2 lb honey, munton yeast). Once the fermenting bucket is clear will probably start a batch of graff.

So I tried another bottle last night. It's clearing although still quite cloudy. It's definitely carbonated, fruity, very dry but very pleasant. Nice appley moderate length finish. Waaaaaay too easy to drink too fast. I don't see how I'm going to be able to keep this around long enough to age. It's sitting in a storage closet right now at around 40deg F. Haven't bottled the second batch yet, still in better bottle carboy at 40 deg.

It's cleared quite a bit, well carbonated. Very nice appley aroma when you open the bottle. This is subtle, but fruity, slightly tart, not nearly as tart as earlier. It's very refreshing and goes with all kinds of food. There are no off flavors but there's just not a lot to it. Finish is short, body is light. Not a bad little cider for a first effort but I like the Graff a lot better. Still have the "new England style" in secondary. I think I will bottle that one still just for variety.

It's begun to re-emerge. Somehow there is more body to it, a very nice apple/fruit flavor and a very nice finish. OK, I'm real sorry I didn't save more. Gentle carbonation. Very good indeed.

Back