Chugger Pump Primer Valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natdavis777

Reaction score
I was having having issues with my pump where I was constantly losing prime (ended up being some grain husks in the impeller) and I got sick and tired of constantly disconnecting/reconnecting hoses to re-establish my prime. I was also running the pump head horizontal which didnt help. With some internet searching, I found sound others pump builds out there and gave it a try. This has helped my pump tremendously. Priming is an ease, Ive yet to have issue since I made this (I also disassemble the pump between uses, even between mashing and cooling) and clean out the entire assembly)

IMG_0900.jpg

I recirculate for 15 min before I start my run off/fly sparge, and that is where I was getting some grain particles stuck in the impeller. Maybe it was a one time thing. Id rather have the assurance that the pump is clean and good to go before I start my cooling process and run into priming issues and possibly running into an infection.

Everyone on this site who uses a pump would benefit from this design. My own version:View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417553736.029761.jpg

You can also drain hoses that are full of hot liquid by opening the drain.

EDIT: Don't use the inlet design on this. There needs to be a straight section equal to 5-10x the pipe diameter at the inlet.

Last edited:
So please explain how it works. I just started using a pump but have not had any problems losing prime or having to disconnect or reconnect anything. Also, I haven't taken the head apart to clean it either. I have simply run hot water through it for 10 minutes or so at the end of the brew day. Do I really need to tear down the head and thoroughly clean it after every brew day? Thanks.

No, you shouldnt have to tear it down. My initial issue was that I was horizontally instead if vertically. With the pump in a vertical position and the input on the 6 o'clock position, it aids in forcing all the air out and allows for the pump to keep prime. During on of my mash recirculations, I drew in some grain husks, enough that it got caught in the impeller of my pump, hence bogging it down and not allowing the pump to do its job. That is why I inspect it right after I transfer from my mash to the BK, to ensure this hasnt happened again. It literally takes seconds to pop off 8 screws and check.

So please explain how it works. I just started using a pump but have not had any problems losing prime or having to disconnect or reconnect anything. Also, I haven't taken the head apart to clean it either. I have simply run hot water through it for 10 minutes or so at the end of the brew day. Do I really need to tear down the head and thoroughly clean it after every brew day? Thanks.

The intermediate valve on the discharge end is used to either prime the pump before use (fill with liquid/evacuate air), or evacuate air accumulated during operation from the pump head so the pump can resume operating properly. Power off pump, close discharge valve, keep suction valve open, and open the intermediate bleed valve until air is evacuated (should be very short duration). Close intermediate valve, open discharge, and power pump.

If you clean your pump by recirculating boiling water and/or hot PBW/oxyclean solution at the end of your brew day and then rinse with clean water, you shouldn't have to clean it often. You may get a few spots of mold or hop chunks in there over time, especially for hop-heavy beers. I will clean it if I have some downtime on the weekend, but have gone 4+ batches without opening it up.

Hey schematix I have read that you should not have any bends/angles going into the pump. The concerns being restriction of flow. Do you have any issues with your design?

Hey schematix I have read that you should not have any bends/angles going into the pump. The concerns being restriction of flow. Do you have any issues with your design?

I've designed my entire system (at some point i'll post a thread on it - it's fairly extensive) to have as little restriction as possible (that's also why the outlet T is arranged the way it is). However, the pumps are below the kettles, and the pump inlet points down while the outlet points up (far more robust than a horizontal configuration), so a turn has to happen at some point. Since the pumps are near the floor the connection is easier to make with an fixed elbow.

Fittings do add restriction to a system, but it's not as much as you might think. For example, a 1/2" steel elbow only adds the equivalent of about 2 feet of tubing. It's something, but not enough to cause an issue. If you have 50' of tubing and 10 fittings you should crunch your numbers though.

You ideally want as little friction loss in your suction run, and want to avoid bends or other constrictions immediately upstream of your pump inlet. I don't think its that big of a deal with this size of pump, but you could install a short run of straight pipe after the elbow if you wanted the flow to be more uniform entering the pump. I think 5 upstream diameters (5D) of straight pipe is the absolute minimum recommended, so a 2.5 or 3 inch nipple would get you there.

You ideally want as little friction loss in your suction run, and want to avoid bends or other constrictions immediately upstream of your pump inlet. I don't think its that big of a deal with this size of pump, but you could install a short run of straight pipe after the elbow if you wanted the flow to be more uniform entering the pump. I think 5 upstream diameters (5D) of straight pipe is the absolute minimum recommended, so a 2.5 or 3 inch nipple would get you there.

After further research on the internet, and with a process engineer, I am going to add a straight section after the 90, but before the pump head. 5-10 IDs.

I will amend my previous post to say DON'T DO WHAT I DID! Oops.

I just want t make sure I understand this correctly. A 2.5 or 3 inch straight pipe would be connected to the elbow and then a camlock prior to the inlet of pump. Using schematix's photo from left to right it would be camlock, pipe connected to elbow, elbow connected to pump inlet?

I just want t make sure I understand this correctly. A 2.5 or 3 inch straight pipe would be connected to the elbow and then a camlock prior to the inlet of pump. Using schematix's photo from left to right it would be camlock, pipe connected to elbow, elbow connected to pump inlet?

No. You would have the camlock, then the elbow, then a 3 inch nipple, a couple, and that would thread to the pump inlet. You want the straight run after the elbow so that the flow becomes uniform before entering the pump.

No. You would have the camlock, then the elbow, then a 3 inch nipple, a couple, and that would thread to the pump inlet. You want the straight run after the elbow so that the flow becomes uniform before entering the pump.

Correct. The longer the straight on the inlet, the better, minimal 5x the ID (2.5"), ideally 10x (5"). This is closer to 4" with the coupling.

I drew it up in paint (I made an error drawing the drain leg. It's not a QD. Rather it's an elbow, then a barb, but that's arbitrary to our discussion here)

PumpAssemblyV2.png

Thanks for the clarification. Looks like it adds several inches that you would have to mount the pump higher to keep the tubing off the ground though.

I'm not 100% sure yet if I'll have to raise the pump since I have extra clearance to the floor now. Worst case I'll move the lower shelf it's mounted to up a few inches. Better than cavitating a pump.

One more question about the extension that includes the coupler, 3" nipple, and elbow in the latest configuration that schematix posted above. Would it be just a effecient to just connect the female camlock (hose) to the male camlock (attached to pump inlet) directly instead of using any elbow or extentions. Seem like after adding the extra height required you would not need the elbow that causes the restriction.

One more question about the extension that includes the coupler, 3" nipple, and elbow in the latest configuration that schematix posted above. Would it be just a effecient to just connect the female camlock (hose) to the male camlock (attached to pump inlet) directly instead of using any elbow or extentions. Seem like after adding the extra height required you would not need the elbow that causes the restriction.

If you can connect the tubing to the pump inlet without pinching or kinking, that is fine. If the tubing tends to pinch as it bends up to the inlet, you should use the hard piped bend.

Good question. The reasons for the elbow are:

1. The pump outlet is pointing up and the pump inlet is pointing down. I had a lot of troubles with the pump initially when i had it in a horizontal arrangement, so I am sticking with the vertical orientation.

2. The center of the pump is about 10" off the floor. There isn't much room to make a slow bend in the inlet hose from below. I *could* do this, but....

3. If you've ever disconnected a pump inlet hose when the pump head is full of hot sticky liquid, you know it all comes rushing back onto your fingers. By putting the elbow on it, not only does it help orient my inlet hose, but it also keeps my hands clean. And i can put a small bucket or cup underneath it to catch the run off.

The elbow issue can be eliminated by using a pump that can tolerate the horizontal arrangement, or by using a center inlet pump. If i ever crack a pump head i'll get the center inlet version and re-arrange it. I am using a March pump though and their center inlet stainless pump head is even too much for my frivolous home brewing budget.

I'll post the final picture when it's done. I'm waiting on a shipment with the 3" nipples.

Back