Hobbies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich_F

Reaction score
So I know everyone here brews (or at least I think so!), but what else do you like to do? Play instruments, run, paint, anything! I'll start:

Other than brewing beer I have a bunch of things to do that keep me busy:

I'm an avid hiker, This is me on a high peak (cascade) in the ADK
418823_10151157308162079_984123465_n.jpg

I also love animals and have a few pets including leopard geckos, dart frogs and my dog, Rondaxe

228929_10151230454137079_1496465846_n.jpg

262569_10150327200872079_1241389_n.jpg

Ezio the Leopard Gecko

150124_10150884758622079_246777607_n.jpg

I LOVE water skiing

59818_470096282078_1813211_n.jpg

and bouldering

25413_412373232078_5784860_n.jpg

and of course being a (new) Dad!

My wife, Lindsay, daughter Dakota and myself in Allegheny State Park

1382985_10202077971372734_1906092722_n.jpg

So I think that's the end of my long post, and for anyone wondering, I am fairly young (21 almost 22) and I started brewing when I was 20. So, lets hear from you guys!

Besides brewing and related hobbies(sausage,vinegars,coffee roasting) I'm back into rock collecting for the first time in almost 30 years. I also love nature photography, gardening and brewing. Drinking beer is also a favorite hobby.

First off, Dakota is an awesome name! My hobbies are computer gaming, fishing, and diving. I used to go backpacking but my wife refuses to climb mountains or poop in the woods so I had to drop that hobby. I have to pick a fishing or diving location where she can go shopping or lay on the beach but that isn't too hard to do :p

Besides brewing and related hobbies(sausage,vinegars,coffee roasting) I'm back into rock collecting for the first time in almost 30 years. I also love nature photography, gardening and brewing. Drinking beer is also a favorite hobby.

I'm interested in getting into coffee roasting. I was thinking in march I might get a beginners set up going. I drink a lot of coffee and it sounds like an interesting hobby.

First off, Dakota is an awesome name! My hobbies are computer gaming, fishing, and diving. I used to go backpacking but my wife refuses to climb mountains or poop in the woods so I had to drop that hobby. I have to pick a fishing or diving location where she can go shopping or lay on the beach but that isn't too hard to do :p

Thanks man! It was either Hannah or Dakota. As soon as I saw her I knew Dakota was it. Dakota Grace

Playing guitar. Didgeridoo. Hand drums.. anything musical actually. I am an at home music producer and part time dj. I love to cook also. Mostly bbq :) I also love mountain biking and working on bikes. In the spring I hunt mushrooms. ... and brewing of course. :mug:

Stuff I do often: Brew beer, run, photography, collect/build Star Wars Lego, cake decorating, squash, computer programming and web design, Magic (as in Magic: The Gathering the card game), travel

Stuff I do occasionally: Woodworking, piano, mat-cutting (as in custom framing), gardening, private aviation, target shooting, magic (as in card tricks), model-building.

It's great to be DINKs. :) (Dual Income, No Kids)

I forgot to mention that I used to shoot competitively and that I also have played clarinet, drums, sax, piano and guitar through the years. I enjoy kayaking too, although my favorite spot is about 5 hours from where I live

Where do I begin?!

Motorcycles
Cooking
Gardening (including hops growing)
Hiking
Camping
Fishing
Hunting
Shooting
Ammunition reloading
4-wheeling (yeehaw!)
Dogs (we have 3)
Automotive repair and maintenance
Custom automotive lighting (xenon projectors, LED tail lights, etc.)
Home improvements (I'm in the middle of bathroom reno)
And how could I forget the biggest hobby of them all; being married!

Honestly, there isn't enough time in the day....

Playing Bass, Woodworking, cooking/grilling.
We only just started using the spent grains to make burgers, pizza dough, cookies, etc. Good fun.

100_1736.jpg

100_1263.jpg

100_1683.jpg

Besides Beer and brewing, I'm into music - both listening and playing. I play guitar, some bass, a little drums, though I haven't had a space to set up my kit in some years.
Bicycling, mostly road - I've done several centuries and quite a few metric centuries (100KM, roughly 66 miles) and half centuries.
books and reading
Cooking and smoking (BBQ, not inhaling)
DIY - I've built wine racks, a bass, a bunch of the parts and pieces to my brew rig, replaced my deck, built my hops trellis and have a few more projects in mind.
a bit of gardening - again growing hops, hot peppers, tomatoes for SWMBO, herbs...
Sailing, golf...
IN other words, way too much stuff for my poor wallet to keep up with.

In no special order:
Family (2 kids can take up a lot of time)
Motorcycles
Music (playing and listening)
Gardening
Computers (programming and fixing)
Reading about my newest hobby - homebrewing
Hiking
Camping
Farming (I'm a wanna be cowgirl - someday I will own my farm...someday)
Gaming (computer games)
Backyard Mechanic
Cooking
Photography
Knives and Guns

Wow...no wonder I don't seem to have much money in the bank... :ban: I'm too busy playing. :rockin:

Building and drag racing cars

Offroading

Fishing

Hunting

Owning and running a small ranch I guess cause animals don't leave much time for anything else.

Glad to see so many others with LOTS of hobbies here. Everyone always thinks I'm crazy for having "too many" hobbies, like you're only supposed to have one, if any?!? Anyway, here are mine:

- Ham Radio
- RC planes
- Flight Sim (X-Plane 9)
- Aquariums
- Pool (APA league for a few years, taking a break for now)
- Hookah and pipe smoking
- Shooting (paper only)
- Hopefully soon starting flying lessons
- Gardening
- Electronics
- Violin (Started lessons few years back, life got in the way, trying to pick it back up)
- Vinyl (record) collecting and listening

Amtgard
1236950_10151638126048062_365975256_n.jpg

Metal/ armor making( not my best work only pic I could find)
886776_613824745332221_1985133369_o.jpg

FX make up
1002240_538874696160560_406110037_n.jpg

Sculpting
1237079_563814260333270_1934467633_n.jpg

Foam smiting
558895_10151631915527666_1636506837_n.jpg

Sewing
1276921_566205226760840_1286476448_o.jpg

Video making
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fAwX0qFR-5E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Video games
PnP games
Technology
Reading
Movies
Learning new hobbies( while it might not be a hobbies in it self I usaly pick up a new one each year at lest.)

If I'm not on the trail hiking, I'm in the water scuba or cave diving, if I'm not in the mood for those, I'm in the woods with the camera. I'll take the outdoors anyway I can get it.

IMAG0007-M.jpg

What I appreciate about this thread is so many folks that have a passion for doing things other than work. It seems I am surrounded by many people that all they do is make work their lives. They are always at work and often look around for me and I'm not there.

I have a family that is my main focus, but I also:

play fiddle
fly fish
bird hunt
garden
beach in the summer
roast coffee
lots of cooking
surf the net
read about WWII submarine service and brewing

and then I was telling my wife that something I like to do but don't think about too much is resting. I like to rest, on the couch, in bed in the morning, etc. I often rest while doing some of the other hobbies. I like resting, eating and drinking a lot.

and I have never sent a text in my life and I do not Facebook.

I used to play guitar a ton but rarely touch it now. I love to fish, and recently got into flyfishing. Hoping we have a stable cold winter for ice fishing and pond hockey. Also getting into hunting. I love guns and shooting, camping, biking, cooking/grilling, gardening, taking care of my cats and fiance, reading, and my biggest hobby is going through phases and alternating between hobbies and obsessing over them. Right now im stuck between fishing and brewing lol

I like just about all stringed instruments, and have been playing guitar for around 30 years.
Balsa model airplanes
Used to play drums, would love to get back into it
Model boat, river tugs mainly
gun collector
photography
I live beside the Ohio River, and I collect old photos of steamboats and river related stuff

Guns
Shooting
Reloading
Doing less of those now as I have developed arthritis in my hands after 40 years of pistol shooting.:(

Cooking
Collecting old movies and radio broadcasts from way back..20's---40's.

bosco

Our rescue dogs
Home remodeling
Travel...but less of that after spending 6 years working on the road
Learning to weld because...

24 Hours of LeMons racing has started consuming all of my non-work, non-brewing time. The car has been "done" for over a year but we keep having random, never-seen-before catastrophic failures in vital components. There is just something that trips all my redneck buttons about taking a crappy car, prepping it to endurance race and then spending a long weekend trying to do just that.

I am a woodworker, I've made guitars for years. I take custom orders and sell them extremely cheap because I believe everyone deserves to have something specifically for them.

482810_10151430031509360_1723512445_n.jpg

299871_10151430510989360_1262463528_n.jpg

I'm also an avid musician. I went to culinary school while in high school so I enjoy cooking. I hold 3 state records in powerlifting and regularly train other athletes (since my injuries have taken a firm hold in my life I am now just your average run of the mill bodybuilder). I'm finishing up my degree in law and headed straight into graduate school so I read a lot of Foucault and other boring stuff. I'm a tech junkie and have been building a pretty sweet computer for the past year with two liquid coolers and some other non-necessary luxuries.

But mostly I just drink beer and sit around my house :drunk:

I work a lot but I try to make time for other fun things, like

Hunting, Snowboarding, Hiking, Camping, Fishing, and Travel. Can you tell I like the outdoors? To bad I'm cooped up in a stuffy hospital at work ( I am a ER Nurse)

Hobbies other than beer:
1. Remodeling the house
2. Fixing things the previous house owners did badly. Very badly.
3. Repairing things the dogs have dug up, buried, shredded, or otherwise destroyed
4. Fixing the %@!#*% house!

Make wine
Brew beer
Make systems that make brewing beer

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

My wife likes to tell me my hobby is hobbies. I travel a lot, so there's not a lot of extra time.

- travel
- cooking (tend to be cooking or brewing)
- just started vinting and mead making
- figuring out hotel points and flyer miles bonuses
- making wedding invitations and thank you cards (conscripted)
- weight lifting
- volleyball
- used to play basketball but my knees aren't so great
- swimming
- home renovations
- gardening
- hydroponics (pipe dream - really bad at it)

Things I don't do anymore
- play MTG, collect baseball cards and comics
- build my own computers and program
- choir (concert and acapella)

Things my wife wishes I didn't do:
- buying things wholesale (love getting good deals)
- helping people start businesses
- designing brewing equipment

I'd really like to learn woodworking and welding, but there isn't enough time in the day.

Wow, just thinking about it...

I brew beer,
have a small dairy farm (goats),
garden,
hack around a bit on guitar,

I used to golf (but now I farm),
used to fish (but now I farm),
used to ski (but now I farm),
used to hike (...)

-- Old Goat

Here's my list of obsessions
-Brewing Beer
-Motorcycles
-Woodworking
-Metalworking
-Scuba Diving
-Music (I play drums mostly but I can also play guitar)
-Running
-Camping
-Hiking
-Disc Golf

Marklin HO Trains

I do O scale as well. First year in about 25 years I have not pulled my stuff from storage and spent a month building and preparing. Too broke to be in the spirit this year. I won't be guilty of it again. I run 4 digital control sets. Lionel Legacy and MTH.

Woodworking--runs the gamut from mission-style furniture to turning pens. I occasionally design and build loudspeakers.
Travel--overseas and U.S. Always had a wanderlust and there are very few places I wouldn't want to go.
Photography.
Listening to music--mainly '70s progressive rock, classic blues rock, old-school electronica, depending on my mood at the moment.

Back