LED and 3-way switch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iijakii

Reaction score
So I was wanting an LED to come on when either NO is open on this switch. Just realized this might not work as I'm going to wire it up.

cghZwo7.png

That would probably open both relays, right? If I wired the LED up on the element receptacles instead of the relay coils I think it might work. There'd be way more resistance going to the LED. Still might have some power going to both elements though huh?

If you had to estimate, how much dimmer are we talking? Thanks for the suggestion, it seems cheap and simple. I'll try and grab some from Radioshack.

Curious about your mention of which terminal the LED cathode is on. How come that matters with the diode?

Technically it will emit just a half of light but since our vision ulinear it will look 20-30% dimmer.

You need to know how to connect ypur LED to diodes. If you do it wrong way it will not lit. But you can just try both variants.

Got some 3a 400v diodes from Radioshack this weekend. Looking forward to soldering these up and trying it out tomorrow. Have that and then wiring up the RTD and SSR signals to PID and that's it.

5RTgsrs.jpg

c0UHQXF.jpg

Wiring isn't the neatest but I'm fine with it. Wish I had made a lot of the runs longer so I could route better, but way too apathetic to change anything.

Just reporting back that the diodes did the trick. LED comes on and it sounds like only one relay opens at a time. It's not noticeably dimmer at all.

Back