CHUBBY Brewing's Official Build Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNugent

Reaction score
I figured since parts were starting to arrive I needed an official thread to chronicle my build. I am planning a BCS-460 controlled, fully electric, RIMS, single tier 3 vessel setup. I plan on 10 gallon batches for most everything but reserve the possibility to go to 15 gallon if I really push it.

I was a hardcore homebrewer up until about 13 years ago. I was brewing 10 gallon all-grain batches back then on propane burners with coolers for the MLT and HLT. Some medical issues forced a hiatus and then a wife n kids came along and brewing was put on the way back burner. All of my equipment was sold off along the way so now I get to build it bigger and better.

I still have some tough decisions ahead with my first one being what elements to use. I will be running off a 30a 4 wire circuit through a SPA panel to an enclosure with the BCS 460, SSRs, contactors, etc, that I plan on building. But trying to keep it under 30a while factoring in an additional heating element for the RIMS module is becoming a bit trickier than I thought, especially if I go with the "standard" 5500w elements for my HLT/BK. Even with only 1 running that leaves only 7 amps for the RIMS heater, pumps and everything else. So if anyone has any feedback there I would appreciate it.

Oh and just so people don't think my name is only because I'm a bit overweight..... CHUBBY = "Chaska Homebrewers United by Better Beer Yearnings"

But for now, toys....

My 3 new SS vessels just came today. 2 15 gallons and 1 20 gallon, I ordered 3x15g but the seller called and offered to upgrade one to a 20 gallon for the same price. The cost of the bigger pot vs the cost of shipping 2 packages instead of 3 evened out. I think I *may* be able to brew 15 gallon batches this way. Current plan is to use the 20 for the BK.

20131021_125219-vi.jpg

Some misc supplies. Couple Chugger pumps, along with a drinking water safe hose, grain scoop and a couple refractometers that came with the pumps.

20131021_125323-vi.jpg

And finally, the space where I plan to build all this. The table and shelf will be removed along with the baseboard heater and a new steel stand will be built in it's place. Conveniently off camera is a floor drain, double basin wash sink, plenty of water hookups along with the 30a outlet for the dryer that will do double duty.

20131021_125341-vi.jpg

Several large orders were placed this weekend with Electric Brewing Supply and Brew Hardware as well as a Chillus Convolutus from More Beer. So lots of shiny Stainless steel parts and electronic gizmos are on the way.

And finally since P-J is the man when it comes to wiring diagram I will place these two here as the ground work for my design. Some minor changes to the wiring may be done but is still TBD.

power-panel-5b.jpg

BCS-460-wiring-2-4.jpg

Ordered
1 x Rheem 240v 1500w SS Element SP10869FH LWD for the RIMS tube
2 x Camco 240v 4500w 02952/02953 ripple ULWD elements for HTL and BK.

Should be a max of 25a if the RIMS and HLT element are running at the same time leaving 5a for pumps and other stuff.

Some SS bling.

20131025_135256-vi.jpg

All of my elements have arrived also. Need more SS fittings now that I got that big order in. And hopefully my welding connection will be available soon.

Oh, and the freezer for the keezer is in the basement too!

Is that the 14 gallon conical?

edit: compared to the cornies, it must be bigger than 14

Sub'd excited to see the progress and all the goodies coming in. Can't wait to see your build. Cheers!

Going to need a place to put them kegs and a way to control the temps. STC-1000 controller done. Will get a collar and some taps before it gets put into use.

20131030_190322-vi.jpg

I want to see some blinking lights and shiny things too!! Deer hunting took a large chunk of time out of my schedule but we're getting back at it now. All the holes in my kettles are drilled and ready for my welder to have some time. I confirmed the future keezer and controller work well by storing some venison in there until sausage making day so that was a success. Collected a few more parts here and there but nothing too major. Since it will be a few weeks until my welder can get to work I plan on tackling the control panel next. I will be cutting the top for the heat sink and the bottom for the receptacles very shortly and then start mocking up the installation of parts. I think I have everything I need at this point although I'm sure I will soon regret saying that as I make another order online!

A little progress, got the switches and button mounted on the door of my panel. The receptacles are mounted on the bottom of the enclosure as well, I'll try and grab a pic. Hoping for a nice soldering iron for Christmas so I can get a move on with the wiring. Also hope to have the internal components all mounted up in the next few days also.

20131222_172027-vi.jpg

Trying to decide the layout for the internal components has to be the hardest part of the build so far. Want to lay them out in the way that makes the most sens but I keep switching things around.

Here's how I got it so far.

20131223_113219-vi.jpg

Recpetacles are in, need to mount the Cat 5 panel for Network and temp probes yet.

20131223_113231-vi.jpg

Components are all mounted up, wiring starts this weekend. took me forever to find a layout I was happy with. Still aren't sure if I'm complete satisfied with the way I have everything laid out but finally said it was time to move on and get to work.

20140110_220228-vi.jpg

Three are for heating elements, HLT, BK and RIMS. Two are for pumps. And the last one is for future expansion, maybe a third pump or???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Home Brew mobile app

Three are for heating elements, HLT, BK and RIMS. Two are for pumps. And the last one is for future expansion, maybe a third pump or???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Home Brew mobile app

Ahh I see.... so your just going to you the ones for the pumps as on off relays and not as a fast switching ssr right? I have read that a normal contactor/ relay generates less heat and is more reliable for this kind of duty.
I've also read that controlling the pumps flow with high speed MOSFET switching is not ideal and bad for the pump.

Ahh I see.... so your just going to you the ones for the pumps as on off relays and not as a fast switching ssr right? I have read that a normal contactor/ relay generates less heat and is more reliable for this kind of duty.
I've also read that controlling the pumps flow with high speed MOSFET switching is not ideal and bad for the pump.

Correct, will be just on/off and no fast switching. Probably could have simplified but hopefully it will be fine.

If I ever got to try one of your brews I could say you gave me a chubby.

When I first started homebrewing about 20 years ago I had bottle labels made up with Homer Simpson and the saying "Hey, you just gave me a CHUBBY!" I have since lost the artwork but it will make a comeback I'm sure.

btw CHUBBY = "Chaska Homebrewers United by Better Beer Yearnings"

:rockin:

Got a few things to do yet and I will clean up the wiring with wire ties and stuff but man it gets messy fast. Been working on it the last 2 days and I'd say it's 90% done.

20140118_195138-vi.jpg

Still need to run the connections for my temp probes and then figure out how to run my main line. I was going to run 6/4 directly from my spa panel to my terminal blocks but they are rated at only 30a and 10ga wire. I know the 6/4 was overkill as I'm only running it on a 30a circuit but I wanted to future proof it. Guess I'll just go with 10ga and not worry about 50a.

An incredibly long time between updates but that's what happens when life gets in the way. I have my stand built but I can't find my pics so they will be coming shortly. But for now, after months of waiting I finally got my pots back. I can't complain about the wait since the cost was free, and the work is great. Below are some terrible pics of some great welds. The guy who did the work for me does precision TIG welding for medical equipment fabrication and he's one of the best. I did a leak test today and not a drop, now I just need to passivate them and start hooking things up. Unfortunately mother nature decided to be a bi@$# and dump over 5" of water on us so the basement got a bit wet and there's still more clean up to do.

af-vi.jpg

ab-vi.jpg

a9-vi.jpg

20140621_123441-vi.jpg

Coloring is off in the last pic due to using flash inside the pot.

looking good. I fully understand how life often gets in the way of these far more important brewing projects :mug:

looking good. I fully understand how life often gets in the way of these far more important brewing projects :mug:

Thanks, can't believe I bought the kettles 8 months ago.

Getting excited now. Need to move a few things so I can move the brew stand to the right so it clears my control panel but I think it's going to work good here.

20140622_161448-vi.jpg

Subscribed! Nice to see a fellow Minnesota building a very similar setup that I'm trying to accomplish. Beware of me pestering you with questions.

Subscribed! Nice to see a fellow Minnesota building a very similar setup that I'm trying to accomplish. Beware of me pestering you with questions.

Fire away, hopefully I can answer any questions that come up. So much of my knowledge has come from pouring over these forums.

Nice build!

And you had me at Chaska.

El madre grew up there

Sent from myPhone

Nice, I grew up here and basically lived my whole life here other than college and a few years in the neighboring town of Waconia. Had to move back because WHUBBY Brewing just doesn't have the same ring to it! :fro:

Fire away, hopefully I can answer any questions that come up. So much of my knowledge has come from pouring over these forums.

Nice, I grew up here and basically lived my whole life here other than college and a few years in the neighboring town of Waconia. Had to move back because WHUBBY Brewing just doesn't have the same ring to it! :fro:

I grew up in waconia!!! Went to college in Fargo and that's where I've been since college tho.

Sent from myPhone

Did my first brew on Saturday on the new system and I have to say I couldn't be more pleased. It was amazing how well things went and I didn't really run in to any issues. The worst thing that happened was that I lost contact with my BCS a couple times but I think that is because of the wireless module I'm using and the weak signal in that part of the basement. It only lasted a few seconds a couple times but I may need to plan for next time and put a wireless access point in down there or something.

Unfortunately I don't have a single picture, I was also smoking several pork butts on my new smoker at the same time so things were pretty hectic. We have had had a few beers at some point as well but things didn't get crazy until after the beer was in the fermenter. I'll try and get a few pictures of the final configuration with the vent hood and everything as it sits now. I can't wait until I get to brew again.

Keep an eye out for the Jan/Feb edition of Brew Your Own magazine as my build is slated to be featured!

I was just reading through your build and noticed Chaska.... We're right up the road off of Rolling Acres in Victoria! Awesome! Now I know some poor people I can bother while I'm building! :)

Ha!!! That's awesome! I'm going to tell people I know you now, even though I don't.

Trent,

Sent you a private message about BCS stuff but thought I'd ask you a question in the thread as well.

Where did you purchase your Rheem 240V/1500 watt LWD element? Did you source that locally or get it online?

p.s Greatly enjoyed reading the article in BYO! :mug:

Back