Weird Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finsfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So last week I made a starter of 1056 but had to jar it so I could put conan on the stirplate for a few days before pitching. Yesterday, I put the 1056 back on with the liter of wort it has previously been on the stirplate with/was jarred with. It now has more krausen and seems to going fine. MY question is though, will this have a higher cell count then it did before, or will it be the same since its the same wort that it had already been grown in? Thanks!

My guess is no. Its the same starter you had it in so unless you stepped it up again it wouldn't create anymore cells. Sounds like you may have pulled it off before the starter finished so now that you put it back on the yeast are finishing off their meal.

My guess is no. Its the same starter you had it in so unless you stepped it up again it wouldn't create anymore cells. Sounds like you may have pulled it off before the starter finished so now that you put it back on the yeast are finishing off their meal.

I didnt think it would be higher, but wanted to make sure I didnt pitch too much. I will let it go longer next time, just had an inclination to use conan instead of 1056 on a pale ale so I switched them out before brewday. Thanks for the response.

Did this starter go straight into the jar, or did it get stir plate time initially? From what I understand, on a stir plate you're getting all the growth you're going to get within something like 24-36 hours, maybe less than that. With something just shaken, or allowed to sit, it might take a little longer, but not much. But odds are the yeast have grown as much as they will, and already switched modes to alcohol fermentation of the starter. If anything, I would assume a small (basically insignificant) reduction in viable cells, and not any measurable increase.

Did this starter go straight into the jar, or did it get stir plate time initially? From what I understand, on a stir plate you're getting all the growth you're going to get within something like 24-36 hours, maybe less than that. With something just shaken, or allowed to sit, it might take a little longer, but not much. But odds are the yeast have grown as much as they will, and already switched modes to alcohol fermentation of the starter. If anything, I would assume a small (basically insignificant) reduction in viable cells, and not any measurable increase.

It was on the stirplate for about a day before I put it into jars.

Exactly this.

You would have to do a MASSIVE over-pitch to get any sort of off flavors associated with over-pitching a clean ale strain like that. I almost always "over-pitch" my clean strains to get fast and clean fermentations. When the brewery opens we will essentially be double-pitching what is suggested on the homebrewing scale.

Exactly this.

You would have to do a MASSIVE over-pitch to get any sort of off flavors associated with over-pitching a clean ale strain like that. I almost always "over-pitch" my clean strains to get fast and clean fermentations. When the brewery opens we will essentially be double-pitching what is suggested on the homebrewing scale.
that is good to know! I guess I wont worry about it too much anymore with yeast like this :D I normally try to pitch within 10-20 ml of what is suggested. I guess I dont have to be that precise with certain strains.

Exactly this.

I'm with you. I use mostly clean strains and I always "over pitch." I have a feeling most breweries pitch at much higher rates than homebrewers.

Just chiming in with my agreement that a) you probably aren't growing more cells than you originally intended, and b) even if you did, it wouldn't be a disadvantage. I've started pitching my clean ales at about 1 million cells per ml per °P (well, as close as reasonably possible using starter calcs and such) and I like them better than when I was trying to stay closer to .75 million.

Back