NB Imperial Stout - Carbonation issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sejasba

Reaction score
Hi all,

We brewed a Northern Brewer Imperial Stout in early Nov. The primary fermentation was crazy, as expected. Almost a month later we racked to secondary and put it in the basement (mid-60s F). With the winter we've had, the basement has been colder than normal, probably around 60 F. We just bottled 2 weeks ago, and without thinking too much about it, I put them all back in the basement.

After 2 weeks I tried one just to see how bottle conditioning was going, and there was barely any carbonation. I realized this is probably because we've had them in the relatively cold basement. I took them all upstairs where it's 65-70 F and swirled them around, and let them be.

Do you think we'll be okay? Would the cool temps in the basement be the reason for poor carbonation? Now that I've brought them upstairs, should we expect them to improve or could we have a problem here?

Back