• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Michigan New Heating Elements- perfect for BIAB, small batc- bottom mount & low profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberbackpacker

Reaction score
I have 5 brand new, never used or mounted, Burco Boiler 2500w heating elements I imported from England. I paid $36 each to have them shipped here from the UK.

$26 each- shipped

These are 240V elements, with a built in ground lug (so no need in trying to come up with a solution for that), mounting gaskets, and mounting nut. In addition, it also has a built-in dry-fire mechanism! Mounts in a 1 9/16" hole (I used a greenlee hole saw and it was perfect).

My original intent was to build a Braumeister clone. These elements are used in Burco Boilers (hot water tea pots in the UK so these are designed with human consumption in mind-- aka designed for food) and are super low profile... just less than 1.5" tall from the kettle bottom, which makes them ideal for this application or for BIAB where ideally the amount of fluid between the kettle bottom and top of the element is minimal-- these elements accomplish that. Also great for SMALL BATCH systems. But for example, with a 20" wide pot, you would need only 2 gallons to cover the element, so a smaller pot would need even less volume to cover the element, making it perfect for Small Batches.

The low profile allows you to brew small batches down to 2.25 gallons, or up to 10 gallon batches.

For frame of reference WRT to power-- the Braumeister 20L for 5 gallons batches uses a 2kw element, and their 50L for 10 gallon batches uses a 3.2kw element. These elements fall right in the middle. I used one element (originally bought 6) and was able to boil 12 gallons with it in a tall/skinny pot.

I was going to use two elements wired in parallel to get 5kw in a kettle if I wanted to brew bigger than 10g batches, but I have gone a different direction with my brewing.

Again these are brand new, never mounted or used. The elements not in their package were merely removed for mock-up purposes.

I have also included close-up pics of the mounting and wiring. They use spade connectors, and the screw you see is the ground lug. The yellow plastic-y thing is the dry-fire mechanism.

image-63074.jpg

burco-3-63076.jpg

burco-4-63077.jpg

Latest posts

Back