When Carboys go bad - AKA fall on the floor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, two at once? That's what stops me from considering glass. I'm just not coordinated enough to trust myself not to drop them.

Glad to see that it was just broken glass and a wort mess to clean up.

Assuming no injuries.

That is the primary reason I never considered getting glass carboys even before I bought my first kit.

Dude, that sucks. I broke a 5 gallon secondary once, but at least it was empty. This is so much worse.

The locking ring on the bottom of the table didn't set and when the second carboy was placed on the table it collapsed. No injuries, thank goodness!! Just 2 6.5 carboys and 10 gallons of Triple and Quad; 5 each.

I really want to stay with glass, but I might try and get some of those 6.5 G kegs Bud comes in and make that the new norm for fermenting. At this point I need to buy $80 worth of new glass to get back to normal production.

Many years ago when I was a new brewer I lost a 5 G due to rapid cooling, but none since. Unless you count the one I saw a large crack in the bottom and tossed it for safety reasons.

I love glass, but SS is way better if possible.

BW

Here's hoping all your fingers, toes, and femoral arteries are still intact. Cheers!

Think of the good times you had with the carboys and wort; I'm sorry for your loss, and the mess to clean up.

So it sounds like operator error that had nothing to do w the carboys?

The locking ring on the bottom of the table didn't set and when the second carboy was placed on the table it collapsed. No injuries, thank goodness!! Just 2 6.5 carboys and 10 gallons of Triple and Quad; 5 each.

I really want to stay with glass, but I might try and get some of those 6.5 G kegs Bud comes in and make that the new norm for fermenting. At this point I need to buy $80 worth of new glass to get back to normal production.

Many years ago when I was a new brewer I lost a 5 G due to rapid cooling, but none since. Unless you count the one I saw a large crack in the bottom and tossed it for safety reasons.

I love glass, but SS is way better if possible.

BW

Sorry for your loss my friend. I am so paranoid when I handle mine, sometimes I'm worried they're going to break just from the He-Man Death Grip I use whenever I touch them.

Lucky. I won a trip to the emergency room when I dropped mine. I bought better bottles that night.

I am right behind you! With all that glass everywhere I am lucky my feet or legs didn't get some good cuts. I was wearing shorts and slip-on shoes.

So it sounds like operator error that had nothing to do w the carboys?

Accidents are like that. One minute you are doing fine and the next your piled up and need 9-1-1. My bad for not locking the second ring on the table; that's for sure. However, if I was using better bottles or SS, they would had hit the ground, spilled a little and I wait a week to keg with little lost.

BW

Back