Underbittered remedies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choosybeggar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
An remedies for an otherwise sound beer (Kolsch style) that was underbittered and is presently kegged?

And while on the topic of underbittering, are there any respectable beers/fermented malt beverages (undistlled) made without hops?

So I boiled 0.5 oz magnum pellets in 1 qt H20 for an hour, filtered the resultant solution through a toddy filter, and poured it into a keg of kolsch until desired bitterness was reached. I used about 16 oz for a 5 gallon batch. The bitterness is clean and sublime.

If you ever run into a beer that needs more hop aroma, here's a quicky method that works almost as well as a dry hop:

I literally put hops in a filter in the coffee maker and run about 4 cups of water through. It makes a quick, clean, easy hop tea that can revitalize the aroma of a keg of beer in under 10 minutes.

I have also used this method to bump up various additions, like coriander, orange peel, camomile, vanilla, and even coffee :)

Back