Old Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandyeggoxj

Reaction score
So a while back I found a bomber of homebrew in the fridge. It had been tucked away from the heat and light for a long time. Somehow this happened, but I am not quite sure how. Anyways, I thought that it had been there for a while so I might as well keep it for a while longer and see what happens. I opened it tonight expecting it to be gross. Wow, I was wrong.

Malt forward, slight molasses and chocolate notes. Smooth. A nice roasty finish with just a touch of bitter. So got to thinking about how old it REALLY was. After looking at the brew logs it was likely brewed around Christmas of 2010 and bottled spring of 2011 via a keg and beergun. It is amazing clear, even for being dark, has a real nice sweetness.

In classic style, this was the LAST bottle. My fiance thought it was tasty too, so that means I wasn't drunk when I first tasted it! I am now though.

Measured:
OG: 1.102
FG: 1.022
ABV: 10.5"%

Recipe:
Briess 2-Row Brewers Malt 16.0 lb 86% Mash 37 1 °L
Carafa I 1.0 lb 5% Mash 32 337 °L
Briess Caramel Malt 120L 0.5 lb 2% Mash 32 120 °L
Briess 2-Row C60L 0.5 lb 2% Mash 34 60 °L
American Crystal 90L 0.5 lb 2% Mash 33 90 °L

Hop Schedule:
Simcoe (US) 1.0 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 13.0%
Simcoe (US) 1.0 oz 30 min Boil Pellet 13.0%
Simcoe (US) 1.0 oz 15 min Boil Pellet 13.0%
Simcoe (US) 1.0 oz 5 min Boil Pellet 13.0%
Simcoe (US) 0.5 oz 1 min Boil Pellet 13.0%
Simcoe (US) 2.0 oz 10 days Dry Hop Pellet 13.0%

So an Imperial Black IPA. Lost all of the hop character over time. But the malt character really shines. It was weird enjoying this. I opened it and planned to dump it down the drain, but I thought that I should taste it first. Seriously surprised me.

Here are some pictures:

Before:

After:

Back