Milwaukee People

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bh10

Reaction score
Im going to Milwaukee Friday at the Bradley Center for a concert, but Im going to be hitting up some bars before hand and I want to know what you guys think.

I plan on going South to North, this is kinda my plan of attack.

Drinks here;

-Romans Pub
-Palm Tavern
-Cafe Centraal
-Sugar Maple

I might skip Palm or Cafe, depending on time.

Then having dinner at Old German Beer Hall, then if we have time hit up the Wisconsin Cheese Mart.

Go to concert.

Last hit up water st, something like Milwaukee Ale House or Water Street for beer.

So any suggestions, better places, ect? :mug:

sugar maple is a must hit - however it's dangerous. 60+ taps, and i'd say less than 5 of them are under 5.5% abv.

cafe centraal is ok, good selection of belgian bottles. nothing incredibly special there. never been to palm

lulu's cafe is a neat place. so is steny's on national.

i wouldn't miss ale house, great beer there. be sure to ask what's on cask and what the latest seasonal is. i'd actually have dinner there then hit up OGBH after, ale house has good food.

If you need to skip one, i would miss Café Central. I love the Palm and you will more than likely find something really interesting there. Central will have more standard, while still great, selection.

I hate Water Street a lot. I just isn't my scene. That said, I love the Old German Beer Hall (Or Haufbrau House as most of us call it). It is a fun place with a very eclectic mix of patrons.

I would recommend someplace int he Third Ward (just south of the highway) The Milwaukee Ale house, Hinterland (my favorite, check out the lounge in the back for great bar food, awesome cocktails, and fantastic brewpub beer, especially the luna stout and there pale ale), and a bunch of other fun cool bars.

Good luck and have fun.

While Sugar Maple is a great place and the quantity is incredible, IMO they could do a better job with creative or thoughtful beer selection. Romans and Palm may have less quantity, but you can always count on finding beers you have never had that are incredible.

Those three form my KK trinity.

yeah, ale house is on water street, but "water street" is kind of divided. the "water street" in the 3rd ward (south of fwy) is nicer, it's where ale house is. the "water street" by ogbh is more college kids.

yeah, ale house food over ogbh, but i'd hit up ogbh. make sure you buy some nails and play the nail game.

depending on what music you like you might wanna think about Bomb Shelter as well.

I would prefer the Haufbrau for food. They serve some traditional sausages made by next door neighbor Usinger's. They also have particularly good Brez'n and obatzda for noshing on with your Maß of original.

The ale house's food is okay but pretty standard Wisco Brewpub food IMO.

If you want something a little out of the ordinary, the Hinterland serves upscale creative American Fusion style food along with their great beer.

Make sure you talk to who you are playing the nail game with. That can be an expensive game! :eek: Late at night it is a loser pays gambling game. The loser of the round buys for all other players.

kabouter, since i have your attention, when you brewed Houblon's Chouffe clone, did yours ferment out in 48 hours? cause i think mine did...

No, but it was quick. I don't have my notes at work, but I think it was about 4 days. I want to brew that again. I brewed it too hot and had to much alcohol and phenols come through in the flavor.

Back