Is it infected???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtgrdn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I made a Kolsch, fermented for 4 weeks at 67 degrees, bottled last Monday and is in the basement at 70 degrees. Checked some of the bottles today and found this on all of them. Are they all infected? When I bottled it looked fine in the bucket.

IMG_20140726_093419652.jpg

IMG_20140726_093316352.jpg

IMG_20140726_093237069.jpg

I'm not an expert and am looking for information on infected beer myself. But the beers I have that I suspect are infected look nothing like that. They may have a really faint ring around the beer at the top but it's the flavor I'm suspecting.

I would say yours are definitely infected. I know this is a late reply but did you try one? If so, how did it taste and smell?

why so much airspace in your bottles?

Definitely looks infected, but maybe mold. If this were a bucket, you could rack beer out from beneath a layer of mold and things would ok. Tougher in a bottle.

HOw's it smell? Taste?

Huge airspace. Might have something to do with it.

Looks like a pellicle to me. Brett, but this is pretty fast ....... maybe the large airspace and oxygen is the cause of the rapid pellicle.

If you like Brett beers (and I do), it might turn out interesting.

Problem is, whatever is causing this is working on the sugars in the beer. probably the complex sugars, and not just the priming sugar, so it will be getting 'over' carbonated. The large airspace will actually help keep the pressure lower (air being compressible), but if it gets too high, the large airspace will also be worse if the bottle blows under the pressure. Air is compressible (whereas liquid is not), so if it 'blows', the air will expand; the larger the airspace, the larger the expansion, and the further the shards of glass will fly.

It is now 2 weeks since bottling. I'd fridge a couple and see what you have on opening in a couple of days. if carbonation and taste is OK, fridge the lot and get drinking before you do have any problems. NOTE: There are no known pathogens that can survive in beer ....... it will not kill you!

I fridged 1 for a week and just drank it. There was nothing on the top, everything had settled to the bottom of the bottle. Carbonation was a little high but close to normal if that makes sense. No gusher or foam over, and nice lacing on the glass. And the beer tastes great! I even had the swmbo try it and she said it tastes good.

I have to admit it wasn't the bottle in the pictures. I only had a couple that were that bad. But all of them had some sort of something floating in them when I posted the pictures.

Back