How much malto dextrin is too much? 12lbs.?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MmmmBeer

Reaction score
So I started doing some extract brewing on New Years Eve and got 20 gallons down and one more batch in the secondary. I am currently gathering all my toys for AG while making sure the SWMBO gets some wine to enjoy. I purchase a Blueberry Wine kit on Sunday and come home to throw it in the primary.

At work on Monday morning I received a voicemail from my LHBS explaining I didn't get the proper sugar and they accidentally gave me malto dextrin....12 lbs. of it.

They provided a replacement kit and now I have a free experiment to see what happens when you add 12 pounds of malto dextrin to a wine kit and what it should have been from the new kit.

I don't mind cause it happens and then you get a free 5 gallons so no complaining here.:mug:

Scary. It sounds like it might get to the point of solidifying. Unfortunately, it does also mean that the 12 pounds was probably a fermenting sugar, so it's going to be low alcohol. Also, any sweetness from the maltodextrin (which tends not to be a whole lot) isn't fermentable so that would show up too.

You'll have to let us know what it's like anyways.

That's probably going to be one viscous wine... If it's too viscous, you might want to try adding some brett to the wine to see if it does anything to the maltodextrin. That could take an experiment to another level.

not familiar with the brett but they suggested trying to add like 12 lbs. table sugar boiled to break it down then added to give some fermenting sugar for an alcohol boost.

I am interested and wonder if it will turn out to be a good mixer or not.

sorry.. my bad... i just remember that maltodextrin is the main ingredient in splenda..

Bit of a thread derailment here: The sweet stuff in Splenda is sucralose, which is basically sucrose with a chlorine added to it. The deal with the maltodextrin is that they just use something (I assume) to make it easier to pour out. Because sucralose is like 600x as sweet as sugar, you would have to get all of about 3 grains of that stuff into your coffee as opposed to the bulk of the packet. Seems like it would be a bit harder to me.

I would second the brett idea to maybe take it in a totally different direction. I'm not sure if brett can eat maltodextrin, though. Only one way to find out!

So I decided to up the alcohol content by adding 12 lbs. of boiled table sugar to the batch and we shall see how it turns out.

My LHBS suggested this and to also possibly add some vodka to thin it out since all the Maltodextrin will make it real syrupy and thick as I take it.

I just want to be able to make my proper batch that was replaced by my LHBS.

I started laughing, because my son used 1/4 cup of MD in a batch of rootbeer. He had root beer jell-o, which isn't nearly even as good as it sounds.

It sounds like you're making wine jell-o.

I'm not sure if brett can eat maltodextrin, though. Only one way to find out!

Brett will eat pretty much anything. I've heard of people that deliberately add a bit of maltodextrine to their beers when doing a sour ale, if they're using both a regular ale yeast and Brett. The regular yeast will leave the MD alone, but the Brett will ferment it out. Adding the MD ensures that there's enough sourness, otherwise the regular yeast sometimes dominates too much. Spoken, though, as one who has not yet crossed over into actually MAKING a sour beer!

Pretty sure lacto will eat it as well.

Whatever you end up with... I'm not really sure what the hell it will be.

I just wanted to ask you what the correct recipe is! With 12 pounds of some sort of sugar, I'm concerned that your recipe is flawed. Could you post the corrected info, just to make sure the "right" recipe is actually decent?

12 POUNDS of Maltodextrine?!? :lol:

This is a sarcastic post right? Right?

More on topic here. 12lbs of Malto would do well in 60 gallons of beer to bring up the FG about 6 points. That much maltodextrine sounds like an idea PaulTheNurse would have, since he likes to get things stuck hard as concrete.

Really, though, I have no idea what you want to accopmplish with this. Is this a wine recipe? Are you just going to ferment 12lbs of Malto?

Malto Dextrine is the numero uno ingredient in Splenda, though. My a large amount I suspect — it's used as a filler to make it more sugar-like. Look at the ingredient order on a package sometime.

What was the starting gravity measurement?

Usually wine kits are 'balanced' to be what they should be for all things like the OG and such.

A quick guess at the 12 lb of MD should be around 480-500 total points (figuring about 40/lb/gal) so in 5 gallons, 12 of MD woudl be like 96-100 or your OG without having anything else would be 1.096-1.100 assuming 5 gallons. I'm using table sugar for my basis of 40 points/lb/gal - btw, most extract and other things (sugar etc) show up about in that range.

Anyhow I think the 12lb would be to much for a 5 gallon of win. Of course if you are making more than 5 gallons....

ok ok here is the WINE recipe...sorry for originally posting it in the beer forum, I was trying to make a wine that my fiance would like since she is more of the wine lover.

So it's a house recipe from my LHBS and my first batch of wine ever....20 gallons of beer i can't make fast enough to keep around but the SWMBO doesn't need to know the ratios....

6 lbs. Blueberry Puree
4.5 gallons water
12 lbs. white table sugar(not corn sugar)
6 tsp. Acid blend
4 tsp. Yeast Nutrient
2.5 tsp Pectic enzyme
5sp. Bisulfite solution (Sanitization)

1 pack of yeast
2.5 tsp. potassium sorbate

So that's what I have now from them since they botch it giving me MD instead of what I thought was to be corn sugar but guess table sugar was to be fine.

Back