Heady Topper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When did you smell it the first time? At which point of stepping it up? I have found the first step smells really like Heady but once I get past that and further from hops, it smells more Belgiany with some peach in there.

Interesting. No, I definitely smelled it all the way through (did 3 steps) and I never got a belgian-y nose at all. But, it's good that someone else had the same experience. Less nervous.

Visted the brewery over the weekend and got a chance to sneek a peek at there temp controllers...

53F?!?!

This was on a tank that had a blow off but looked 95% finished with fermentaion due to no activity in the bucket and being in the same row as other vigorously fermenting tanks
Wondering if this is there "cold crash" or the "magic step" that put this beer into the top
Not sure what it would do to the beer ( dropping temp at the end up fermentation) but to me may be the reason for all the citrus and tropical tones almost a short lager for ales? Cali common IPA? Got real caught up on this past couple days and cant figure it out

There was a tank that was blowing off like crazy but unfortunately did not get a read on the controller
Anybody know?

Johnnyhitch1 said:
Visted the brewery over the weekend and got a chance to sneek a peek at there temp controllers...

53F?!?!

This was on a tank that had a blow off but looked 95% finished with fermentaion due to no activity in the bucket and being in the same row as other vigorously fermenting tanks
Wondering if this is there "cold crash" or the "magic step" that put this beer into the top
Not sure what it would do to the beer ( dropping temp at the end up fermentation) but to me may be the reason for all the citrus and tropical tones almost a short lager for ales? Cali common IPA? Got real caught up on this past couple days and cant figure it out

There was a tank that was blowing off like crazy but unfortunately did not get a read on the controller
Anybody know?

Sounds like you got a peek at the brite tanks..

We've now seen 58 and 53 on the tanks and the signage says 68. I believe I read somewhere they do two weeks of cold crash at 40 to drop the yeast. Maybe that tank was on it's way do to 40 slowly?

We've now seen 58 and 53 on the tanks and the signage says 68. I believe I read somewhere they do two weeks of cold crash at 40 to drop the yeast. Maybe that tank was on it's way do to 40 slowly?

That would make sense. Every IPA I've fermented with Conan is super hazy even with my regular cold crashing. I did a SMASH recently with pale ale malt, fermented with Conan, that looks like an amber ale, while the IPA I brewed directly following it, with the same base grain and some wheat malt, fermented with S-05, looks like your typical golden IPA.

That would make sense. Every IPA I've fermented with Conan is super hazy even with my regular cold crashing. I did a SMASH recently with pale ale malt, fermented with Conan, that looks like an amber ale, while the IPA I brewed directly following it, with the same base grain and some wheat malt, fermented with S-05, looks like your typical golden IPA.

My clone is very hazy and I have just started the crash. I had mentioned in another post it reminded me of Bailey's. I think I will do the 2 weeks like mentioned at the cannery and then dry hop one more time in the keg.

Does anyone have any cultured Conan on hand? What would it take to get some my way. Besides finding HT and culturing. Trades? Good will?

When did you smell it the first time? At which point of stepping it up? I have found the first step smells really like Heady but once I get past that and further from hops, it smells more Belgiany with some peach in there.

I noticed something similar with mine. Those first baby steps had a huge Heady-like aroma. Now that I've decanted and pitched just the slurry into fresh wort, I'm getting less of that and an aroma that "Belgain-y" describes pretty well.

53F?!?!

Hmmmm, interesting... I think BB might be right, mayhap a bright tank?

theveganbrewer said:

Possibly. It was mid day and i checked it a second time ( 30min later) before leaving and it was still at 53

Heres also a pic of there hop plaque lol

image-259332123.jpg

Possibly. It was mid day and i checked it a second time ( 30min later) before leaving and it was still at 53

Heres also a pic of there hop plaque lol

Is there actually a sign outside that says "6 American hops" or something like that? And does that sign you took a pic of say anything about those 8 hops listed being the ones in HT? Sorry, all I can read on your pic are the headers and those 8 hops varieties.

Is there actually a sign outside that says "6 American hops" or something like that? And does that sign you took a pic of say anything about those 8 hops listed being the ones in HT? Sorry, all I can read on your pic are the headers and those 8 hops varieties.

Here's a focused version from someone's flickr account. This is where I got the 6 hop propriety blend. They're adding those other hops in there just to confuse us.

There's 13 varieties on the plaque.

6 of them have larger text size than the rest:
Centennial
Nugget
Simcoe
Warrior
Bullion (?)
Fuggles

I shall start there...

A lack of cascade may be what gives heady it's unique taste (to me, at least). Who knows....

Brewed my Psuedo Heady clone last night, did a 4 gallon test batch on my stovetop lost about 1/2 gallon to the massive hops in this beer and will probably lose another 1/2 to the drop hop. Anyway, I was measuring and mixing up my "proprietary hop blend" for my 5 min and steep additions and goofed and ended up with 2.5 oz of Amarillo instead of 1.25 which I originally wanted and since there was a handful of other hops in that bowl already there was no turning back, so my attempt might be a little more Amarillo forward which doesnt bother me none.

I didnt have Pearl malt so I did a little blend of 2-row and Marris Otter, IBUs are exact but again Im not too worried. Most of this for me is seeing how Conan works in a big DIPA and just seeing if this blend of hops will get me in the ballpark. I pitched at midnight last night after hitting the wort with 45 seconds of pure O2, woke up this morning and the airlock was bubbling and had a thin white film on top. I fully expect to come home to a vigorous fermentation.

Measured OG was 1.072, my efficiency is a bit crappy with my small system dont know why but I only use it a few times a year so I dont fight it.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 4.26 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 4.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 3.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.077 SG
Estimated Color: 5.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 105.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 71.9 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 56.5 %
3 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 30.4 %
1 lbs Vienna Malt (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 3 8.7 %
8.0 oz Dextrose (Briess) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 4 4.3 %
1.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 57.8 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 7 -
1.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 16.0 IBUs
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 5.2 IBUs
0.75 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 6.2 IBUs
0.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 Hop 11 8.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 5.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 13 6.2 IBUs
2.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Aroma Steep 30. Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
1.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 17 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 18 0.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Aroma St Hop 19 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Conan (The Alchemist #) Yeast 20 -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Day Hop 21 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Day Hop 22 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 23 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 24 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 25 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 26 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 14.75 qt of water at 159.5 F 149.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.26gal, 2.63gal) of 170.0 F water
Notes:
------
2 seperate dry hops, 3 oz each for 5 days.

Very interested in the results from those of you who used Amarillo and also interested in your use of Warrior in the whirlpool, something I thought about

Low floccing yeast, reasonably good attenuation and likes colder fermentation temps? Does this sound like a Kolsch yeast to anybody else?

There's 13 varieties on the plaque.

6 of them have larger text size than the rest:
Centennial
Nugget
Simcoe
Warrior
Bullion (?)
Fuggles

I shall start there...

A lack of cascade may be what gives heady it's unique taste (to me, at least). Who knows....

I really don't think they're trying to present us a riddle in that. Besides, Citra and Fuggle are printed just as large, we know there's no Citra and I've never heard any talk of fuggle in there either.

Does this sound like a Kolsch yeast to anybody else?

Not at all, low flocc and good AA% are not exclusive to Kölsch yeast. Besides, it's no where near as clean as any Kölsch yeast I've used before. It's characteristics seem to be British or Belgian more than anything.

Thoughts.....

I'm coming up empty on my Heady search to harvest Conan. I have been looking at different yeast profiles and am leaning towards using Wyeast Trappist high gravity 3787. Since people are picking up English or Belgian I was thinking this might be a good albeit not exact substitute.

Whaddaya all think?:cross:

whitehause said:
Thoughts.....

I'm coming up empty on my Heady search to harvest Conan. I have been looking at different yeast profiles and am leaning towards using Wyeast Trappist high gravity 3787. Since people are picking up English or Belgian I was thinking this might be a good albeit not exact substitute.

Whaddaya all think?:cross:

Accept no substitute.

Brewed my Psuedo Heady clone last night, did a 4 gallon test batch on my stovetop lost about 1/2 gallon to the massive hops in this beer and will probably lose another 1/2 to the drop hop. Anyway, I was measuring and mixing up my "proprietary hop blend" for my 5 min and steep additions and goofed and ended up with 2.5 oz of Amarillo instead of 1.25 which I originally wanted and since there was a handful of other hops in that bowl already there was no turning back, so my attempt might be a little more Amarillo forward which doesnt bother me none.

I didnt have Pearl malt so I did a little blend of 2-row and Marris Otter, IBUs are exact but again Im not too worried. Most of this for me is seeing how Conan works in a big DIPA and just seeing if this blend of hops will get me in the ballpark. I pitched at midnight last night after hitting the wort with 45 seconds of pure O2, woke up this morning and the airlock was bubbling and had a thin white film on top. I fully expect to come home to a vigorous fermentation.

Measured OG was 1.072, my efficiency is a bit crappy with my small system dont know why but I only use it a few times a year so I dont fight it.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 4.26 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 4.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 3.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.077 SG
Estimated Color: 5.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 105.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 71.9 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 56.5 %
3 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 30.4 %
1 lbs Vienna Malt (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 3 8.7 %
8.0 oz Dextrose (Briess) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 4 4.3 %
1.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 57.8 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 7 -
1.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 16.0 IBUs
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 5.2 IBUs
0.75 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 6.2 IBUs
0.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 Hop 11 8.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 5.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 13 6.2 IBUs
2.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Aroma Steep 30. Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
1.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 17 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 18 0.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Aroma St Hop 19 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Conan (The Alchemist #) Yeast 20 -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Day Hop 21 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Day Hop 22 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 23 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 24 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 25 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 26 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 14.75 qt of water at 159.5 F 149.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.26gal, 2.63gal) of 170.0 F water
Notes:
------
2 seperate dry hops, 3 oz each for 5 days.

18 oz of hops in a 5 gallon batch:eek: Seems like a bit much to me.

I have trillions of cells of Conan waiting for you to buy from me or send me beer for. :cross:

That is good to know Vegan. I appreciate the offer.

I'm going to give my "source" about a week yet and if nothing happens I'll PM you. He claims his buddy goes through there once every couple weeks but the holidays slowed him up a bit.

18 oz of hops in a 5 gallon batch:eek: Seems like a bit much to me.

Oh but its a 4 gallon batch so we are good! :mug:

6oz of that are in the dry hop, and I was planning on doing 1.25 oz less of Amarillo but measured wrong. Either way I dont think its too much. :cross:

Oh but its a 4 gallon batch so we are good! :mug:

6oz of that are in the dry hop, and I was planning on doing 1.25 oz less of Amarillo but measured wrong. Either way I dont think its too much. :cross:

hehe....just noticed 5 gal boil 4 gal batch. I assume your using pellet hops or you'll have about a quart of beer left. Should be good though:rockin:

I count 12 varieties from the sign. Am I mistaken or isn't Columbus and Tomahawk the same hop?

As in CTZ - Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus.

It's a conspiracy, you have to figure out the riddle.... 12 hops names listed, two names describe one hop, so divide the 12 by 2 and get 6. :D No, really, you're right, Tomahawk is Columbus. I am leaning more towards using amarillo and nugget instead of amarillo and cascade though.

hehe....just noticed 5 gal boil 4 gal batch. I assume your using pellet hops or you'll have about a quart of beer left. Should be good though:rockin:

Oh yea all Pellet, I bagged the late addition hops but some of it was still able to seep out into the wort. No big deal but I was just trying to keep as much hop matter out of the fermenter.

I was just reading Extreme Brewing and the section from Vinny on dry hopping. He was talking about his double IPAs and how they dry hop for about 2 weeks on each between 52 and 72 degrees. He says they add their dry hop after two weeks and then on the 5th day rouse the hops with an injection of co2 and add the second dry hop.

This was sort of the path I was already on before reading last night, but am wondering about temperatures.

I like to dry hop after most of the yeast has dropped out, so it doesn't steal all my hop aroma. I also like to dry hop warm, at about 60 degrees or so. Since I don't crash to drop the yeast, I am usually at week 3-4-5 by the time I dry hop and the beer is sort of naturally crashed by then and clearing well. A lot of times I won't even dry hop until I'm in the keg off the cake completely. But the sign for Heady, if we are to believe it, says the beer is aged for 2-3 weeks at 40 degrees. But no one has seen a tank that cold yet, only ones at 53 and 58, which would make more sense for max dry hop aroma. Anyone think it's possible they would crash the beer to drop the yeast at 40 degrees, then raise it up again to 53 to dry hop?

Are the rest of you guys doing two dry hops, or just one?

I was just reading Extreme Brewing and the section from Vinny on dry hopping. He was talking about his double IPAs and how they dry hop for about 2 weeks on each between 52 and 72 degrees. He says they add their dry hop after two weeks and then on the 5th day rouse the hops with an injection of co2 and add the second dry hop.

This was sort of the path I was already on before reading last night, but am wondering about temperatures.

I like to dry hop after most of the yeast has dropped out, so it doesn't steal all my hop aroma. I also like to dry hop warm, at about 60 degrees or so. Since I don't crash to drop the yeast, I am usually at week 3-4-5 by the time I dry hop and the beer is sort of naturally crashed by then and clearing well. A lot of times I won't even dry hop until I'm in the keg off the cake completely. But the sign for Heady, if we are to believe it, says the beer is aged for 2-3 weeks at 40 degrees. But no one has seen a tank that cold yet, only ones at 53 and 58, which would make more sense for max dry hop aroma. Anyone think it's possible they would crash the beer to drop the yeast at 40 degrees, then raise it up again to 53 to dry hop?

Are the rest of you guys doing two dry hops, or just one?

Im guessing you have seen this...

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/6351/doubleIPA.pdf

Vinnie says...

Dry hopping is obviously a must; consider
not only a single dry hop addition,
but a second dry hop addition. For Pliny
the Elder, we dry hop for 12 to 14 days.
Furthermore, we dry hop at somewhat of
a warmish temperature that starts at 60°
F. At the end of fermentation we drop the
temperature of the fermenter to 60° F for
two days. We remove as much yeast as
possible and add the hops through the
top of the tank. If you are transferring
your homebrew from a primary fermenter
to a secondary fermenter, be sure to add
your dry hops after the beer has been
transferred so the hops can settle out
through the beer.
We also turn off the glycol so the beer
won’t get any colder; in fact, the beer will
free rise in temperature several degrees
during the dry hopping. On a large scale
we need to be able to remove yeast for
future fermentations, this is why we drop
the temperature to 60° F. Previously we
would go down to 52° F, but we found
that we could get just as much yeast out
at 60° F and we gained 8 degrees, which
left us with even more aroma. As a homebrewer,
you can dry hop at your fermentation
temperature of 68° F and get even
more hop aroma.

He then goes on to talk about the rousing, ect that you described above.

So apparently "someone" drops yeast out prior to dry hopping with colder temps.

Given the fast turn around with Heady I would be shocked if they went down to 40 and then back up for dry hopping. That would also imply an active heating instead of using the ambient temp to let it rise.

For those who have fermented with Conan at 58 how long does it take for a 1065-1075 OG wort to be chewed down?

Yeah, I also didn't think it made sense to go down and then back up, but that sign in the cannery that says Heady is kept at 40 degrees for 2-3 weeks is different that what I read is normal practice. I don't usually dry hop that cold unless I am freshening up a previously dry hopped beer that has been on tap a long time and needs another dose of aroma.

For me at ~60 is took 6 days to get from 1.071 to 1.012. Could have been there earlier, but that's when I checked.

Does anyone have any cultured Conan on hand? What would it take to get some my way. Besides finding HT and culturing. Trades? Good will?

I'm culturing some fresh Conan from several cans right now and should have some extra yeast to trade soon. I'm looking to trade for a Saison yeast (especially Wyeast 3711) or something else unique. PM if interested.

LOL...

check this out

http://www.alchemistbeer.com/hoppy-holidays/

The first response in the comments section is a link to this thread??

Yeah, those are automatic pingbacks, the commenting system automatically searched the net and found our thread since the quote matched the post. I thought it was funny that it got in there, so we know they've seen us now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back