Damnit, it was too good to be true

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongrel

Reaction score
Alright, so I took a load of trash to my neighborhood dump today. I see a case of Deschutes Mirror Pond with only one flap open sitting next to the dumpster. I figure, great bottles. Get closer, The bottles are still capped. Score!

4 of the 24 have been sitting exposed to the sun, but still, that's 20 bottles and the highs are only in the low 50's so the temp shouldn't be a problem. Pop them in the fridge, and just opened the first one.

Something is off, smell & taste.
Best before 08/02/05.
Damnit!

OK, I'm still happy to have a case of bottles, but should I just dump them, or save them to make beer bread?

I think it's better than the other thread where the guy wants to use a carboy that had dead mice in it.

Hey that was my carboy with the mice in it. What's wrong with that?
Also btw I found a 6 pack of blue moon still capped under a highway overpass last week. They were not old though. Took them home and drank them. Garbage beer Ftw

jtakacs said:
u took beer out of the dump and drank it?

It's like a fork that falls in the toilet. You can sterilize it, but you still know where it was...

lol, first off, the case was still glued shut. One flap was open, and all bottles were capped and accounted for. The case was sitting on the pavement, not in the dumpster. People get too squeamish about these things. The beer inside the bottles is clean, but unfortunately it was old.

jtakacs said:

This is the first post I saw in the thread and I thought somebody somehow got their beer In a toilet then got it out and drank it.

dumpster_beer.jpg

Horribly scary looking stuff I know :D

Hey free case of bottles imo. Id just pour them out and sanitize them. Thats unless you keg everything then gift to a newbie homebrewer. Brew karma for you :)

Also btw I found a 6 pack of blue moon still capped under a highway overpass last week. They were not old though. Took them home and drank them. Garbage beer Ftw

You stole some homeless person's beer?!?!

Hey, when I was collecting wine and beer bottles to increase my stash, I went dumpster diving for EMPTY bottles. I can't imagine what I'd do for full bottles! :D

Hey relax - you SCORED a case of un-lipped un-slobbered on beer. I went to my neighborhood pizza joint and asked the cute waitresses about gathering bottles, they thought brewing my own beer was really cool and interesting... but I suddenly got weird about strangers lipping all those bottles and I didn't go back!
I have enough bottles of my own now so its not a problem but... I dunno, you scored in a way... look at it that way.

Hey relax - you SCORED a case of un-lipped un-slobbered on beer. I went to my neighborhood pizza joint and asked the cute waitresses about gathering bottles, they thought brewing my own beer was really cool and interesting... but I suddenly got weird about strangers lipping all those bottles and I didn't go back!
I have about 4 cases of my own now so its not a problem but... I dunno, you scored in a way... look at it that way.

Probably a good reason right there to clean/sanitize those bottles.

After I finished cutting the holes for my converted kegs I poured out what was left into a growler. Got pretty funky after a few days and the metal shaving didn't really digest to well but free beer is free beer.

I think it's better than the other thread where the guy wants to use a carboy that had dead mice in it.

That was me...and I sanitized real well. And the Hefe that I put in it has been named "Floating Rodent Hefeweizen" by someone on here.

You had a dead mouse in a carboy too. This is wierd. Anyone turn a carboy into a fish tank yet?

I gotta say- you are on a roll! Dead mice and homeless person beer... I have to ask though- why were you rootin around beneath an overpass? and why is a homeless person drinking Blue Moon?

I gotta say- you are on a roll! Dead mice and homeless person beer... I have to ask though- why were you rootin around beneath an overpass? and why is a homeless person drinking Blue Moon?

Does said homeless person realize that he/she is contributing to the BMC machine?

Call the local distributor and take the case in and say "HEY, I just bought these at blah blah store and they are horribly out of date, can I get a replacement case?

IrregularPulse said:
Call the local distributor and take the case in and say "HEY, I just bought these at blah blah store and they are horribly out of date, can I get a replacement case?

+1 that's a good idea

Back