Booger Beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stauffbier

Reaction score
How ya likes me now?!

IMG-20131106-00404.jpg

Ooh goody, I get to learn something. Noob question... I made a farmhouse IPA not long back (drinking it not actually...really damn good) and had this stuff floating in it even after fermentation was complete for days. Looked exactly the same. Was worried at 1st, but assumed it was from the brett yeast or just hop/yeast floaties from the magic of fermentation so racked around it and bottled. What causes it? Made a lot of batches but first time I had something that wasn't clear at the end.

Ooh goody, I get to learn something. Noob question... I made a farmhouse IPA not long back (drinking it not actually...really damn good) and had this stuff floating in it even after fermentation was complete for days. Looked exactly the same. Was worried at 1st, but assumed it was from the brett yeast or just hop/yeast floaties from the magic of fermentation so racked around it and bottled. What causes it? Made a lot of batches but first time I had something that wasn't clear at the end.

To be honest... After making 100's of gallons of homebrew I've never had this happen before. The only thing I did out of the ordinary on this batch was add ground espresso at flameout. I wouldn't expect that to really change anything, but who knows...

I used whirlfloc as a matter of fact. US05 was the yeast. Mostly Munich as a base malt. Tossed some lactose in on a whim, which I rarely use.

I was poking at the boogers to see if they would sink, but they just float back up. I'll just have to rack carefully when I bottle...

If your homebrew starts to move on its own, Burn it...Burn it with fire!

I had a similar experience recently. Turns out it was just big clumps of cold break. I suspect they were being held up by CO2 because, once active fermentation stopped, they sank fast.
Here it is from the side.

image-1588119199.jpg

JonM said:
I had a similar experience recently. Turns out it was just big clumps of cold break. I suspect they were being held up by CO2 because, once active fermentation stopped, they sank fast.
Here it is from the side.

My god man! That looks like cottage cheese!

Here's a better pic. Looks like a preserved brain in formaldehyde.

Yeah, that's pretty crazy looking JonM.

Mine has been at FG for a few days, and that stuff is still floating around. I plan on dissecting one of the blobs after I rack the beer out..

Boy, I was hoping ya'll would tell me what that was.

Something that looked just like the OP's pictures I got in a bottle of this:

http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDe...rs/St-Amand/St-Amand-French-Country-Ale/21538

Smaller pieces, but very similar looking. I fished most out of the glass but I'm sure I drank some of them... didn't really taste like anything.

I poured out the rest of the bottle.

It's more than likely just coagulated protein and other break material. I'm not sure why it floats instead of sinks, though. Finding it in a bottle does seem pretty strange. I hope I don't end up with that problem on this batch. I'll be bottling today, and I plan to be very careful not to pick anything up with the siphon..

Well, since I started this thread all of the snot had finally dropped out. I bottled it up today. The blobs kept trying to pull up in to my siphon, but I managed to avoid them for the most part. I'm starting to think more and more that it had to do with the coffee I added at flameout. Maybe the acidity of the coffee...

Latest posts

Back