Big Krausen = Good Head?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtpro

Reaction score
After my pale ale greeted me with a big krausen this morning, requiring my first blowoff tube setup, I got to thinking. . .

I would assume that the proteins that are present in krausen are the same or similar to that which form the head on your finished product when poured. Would a higher concentration of these during fermentation translate to a beer with good head and lacing? Just wondering if anybody has ever noticed this correlation.

Are protiens a major factor in head retention?

Sorry to answer a question with a question...

I was under the impression that proteins are in fact a big factor in head retention. When you get a big kreusen, aren't those proteins actually precipitating out? I imagine they would settle out. I could be wrong, it's been known to happen once...

I've not noticed a difference either. My biggest krausen (robust porter) resulted in a beer with the smallest (read: zero) head. However, that could be because I bulk aged it a little long and didn't add more yeast.

How about the color of krausen and head color? I onticed a brown ale I made had a very brown and derker than most (for me) krausen, and the head is very similar in color. Maybe just a coincidence?

Oh snap! It must be too early for me, I missed the obvious here, let me try again...

"I find that regardless of the size of my krausen, I never get enough head." :D

There, I feel better now.

Certain molecular weight proteins are foam positive (but not the only foam positive compounds in beer, eg some hop derived phenols are foam positive).

So you could say, accurately I think, that a beer with a lot of foam positive material would tend to produce more krausen, all else being equal. However I think the dominating factor in krausen size is the vigor of co2 evolution, as that is what brings foam positive material out of solution forming foam.

An interesting but probably not very important fact is that once these foam positive materials come out of solution to form krausen or beer foam, they do not go back in solution and so are effectively lost. Therefore it is probably also accurate to say that all else being equal, a lot of krausen would reduce the amount of foam positive material in the finished beer and reduce foam stability. However, I think this is a pretty minor and insignificant effect.

So bottom line, I would say you can glean about zero information about the foam stability of the finished beer by observing the krausen.

Certain molecular weight proteins are foam positive (but not the only foam positive compounds in beer, eg some hop derived phenols are foam positive).

So you could say, accurately I think, that a beer with a lot of foam positive material would tend to produce more krausen, all else being equal. However I think the dominating factor in krausen size is the vigor of co2 evolution, as that is what brings foam positive material out of solution forming foam.

An interesting but probably not very important fact is that once these foam positive materials come out of solution to form krausen or beer foam, they do not go back in solution and so are effectively lost. Therefore it is probably also accurate to say that all else being equal, a lot of krausen would reduce the amount of foam positive material in the finished beer and reduce foam stability. However, I think this is a pretty minor and insignificant effect.

So bottom line, I would say you can glean about zero information about the foam stability of the finished beer by observing the krausen.

"I don't know what you just said litle man, but you reached out and touched a brother's heart!"

I'd agree with both of these statements.

An interesting but probably not very important fact is that once these foam positive materials come out of solution to form krausen or beer foam, they do not go back in solution and so are effectively lost.

Ahh... ol' Lost Foam issue. Apart from an article by Chris Colby and a post by Cargill Malt on ProBrewer (neither of which explain the science behind it), I've not seen evidence that this is true. Noonan states albuminous matter is reabsorbed into solution due to the alcohol content. I imagine that if the proteins combine with phenols or other compounds, they may not be reabsorbed, but the foam positive proteins that are independent of ulterior chemical bonds should be reabsorbed for the most part.

Ahh... ol' Lost Foam issue. Apart from an article by Chris Colby and a post by Cargill Malt on ProBrewer (neither of which explain the science behind it), I've not seen evidence that this is true. Noonan states albuminous matter is reabsorbed into solution due to the alcohol content. I imagine that if the proteins combine with phenols or other compounds, they may not be reabsorbed, but the foam positive proteins that are independent of ulterior chemical bonds should be reabsorbed for the most part.

Why doesn't the beer reabsorb break material?

Why doesn't the beer reabsorb break material?

I'm not going to act like I know everything about proteins in beer, but here are some thoughts... isn't hot and cold break material composed of long-chained proteins and not the shorter-chained proteins associated with beer foam (Protein Z, et al.)? Are hot/cold break proteins bonded to phenols and other compounds, facilitating precipitation?

I'm open to all possibilities, but everything I've observed goes contrary to the lost foam idea, e.g., shake aeration. I've never seen a scientific explanation why it would get "lost" and where it goes. I've only seen it stated. Noonan states the opposite and states why... that it is reabsorbed into solution, facilitated by the alcohol as fermentation progresses.

I'll add a real world observation that my head retention and volume of foam on my finished beers have steadily improved with each quality improvement of my process.

The improvements are fermentation temperature control, fresh quality ingredients, proper mash temps, good rolling boil, balanced keg carbonation and consistent brewing process in general.

Wayne.

I'll add a real world observation that my head retention and volume of foam on my finished beers have steadily improved with each quality improvement of my process.

The improvements are fermentation temperature control, fresh quality ingredients, proper mash temps, good rolling boil, balanced keg carbonation and consistent brewing process in general.

Wayne.
I've had the same...but have not noticed any (not one bit) correlation between beers that blew off a bunch of foam or beers that didn't blow off at all. I even tried to test it by taking two beers bottled from the same keg, one right after the other, leaving quite a bit of headspace. I shook one every time I opened the fridge for a month, the other didn't get shaken at all. Zero difference, both beers had great head that lasted. That's certainly not a definitive test but at this point I'm not buying the whole 'lost foam' thing unless proven. My experience (albeit limited) is soooo contrary to that statement.

Other than wheats vs everything else, I haven't noticed a correlation. Krausen seems to be a function of fermentation speed, first and foremost.

Back