Aluminum pot with stainless fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitehause

Reaction score
I'm thinking of using an aluminum 40 QT as a mash tun, and I'm aware of galvanic corrosion, but has anyone done this and had a problem with it?

I'm thinking bargain fittings weldless new style bulkhead that uses the large flat silicon seal. Has anyone done this and found any problems with it?

Many people have done that exactly with good results. It's how I started.
Now if you're going with high powered electrical elements, you might see some galvanic corrosion in several years, but in a mash tun? Extremely doubtful.

Good to hear:rockin:
I figured it would be ok, but it's nice to know others have had good luck doing this.
I have a couple keggles now, but I still have a large aluminum pot from when I first started doing BIAB. It's heavy duty (about 1/4 inch thick) so it should work well with a wrap or two of reflectix around it. My cooler is getting shot and this is just collecting dust, plus I could direct fire if I had to, and the larger opening makes it easy to stir the mash well.

I've been using the same 32QT aluminum pot for years. Started out life as my boil kettle, then I put a 4,500w element in it, and it became my electric boil kettle. These days it's my electric HLT. It's still trucking along. Stainless fittings, and no signs of corrosion yet.

The entire pot acts as a sacrificial anode if you use it with an electric element. In theory, the entire pot will eventually wear out. It could be decades before that happens, and if it ever does, it was only a $22 pot.

If you are using propane, my setup is a worst-case scenario by comparison, and I've had zero issues. Carry on =)

I've been using the same 32QT aluminum pot for years. Started out life as my boil kettle, then I put a 4,500w element in it, and it became my electric boil kettle. These days it's my electric HLT. It's still trucking along. Stainless fittings, and no signs of corrosion yet.

The entire pot acts as a sacrificial anode if you use it with an electric element. In theory, the entire pot will eventually wear out. It could be decades before that happens, and if it ever does, it was only a $22 pot.

If you are using propane, my setup is a worst-case scenario by comparison, and I've had zero issues. Carry on =)

Excellent...thanks for the reply:rockin:

Back