75-100% Oat Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In all the time I've spent on HBT, that is a first. Freakin hilarious.

I am glad I could amuse you ... and with the risk of making enemies... I will take your opinion with more seriousness once you start brewing your own recipies that are more then sleightly modded extract kits or AG brews that someone else came up with..... Or when you have plans in place to start selling what you brew........

Not trying to be offensive but its kinda hard to keep quiet when someone is belittling something your trying to accomplish.... Or maybe I just took it wrong........

THAT being said...

chefmike here are the links to the roasted oats I promised
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/michael90t/HomeBrewing/DSCF0490.jpg

and

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/michael90t/HomeBrewing/DSCF0494.jpg

the lighting isnt the best but it give an idea for what I go for..........

I am glad I could amuse you ... and with the risk of making enemies... I will take your opinion with more seriousness once you start brewing your own recipies that are more then sleightly modded extract kits or AG brews that someone else came up with..... Or when you have plans in place to start selling what you brew........

Not trying to be offensive but its kinda hard to keep quiet when someone is belittling something your trying to accomplish.... Or maybe I just took it wrong........

Chill man... I tried to tell you... recipe= guideline. Only YOU can make YOUR BREW... Coastarine is just saying HBT is about sharing, NOT stealing... if you were really serious about starting a brewpub or winning awards, POST YOUR RECIPE!!! People with a whole lot more experience than you and I will work WITH YOU.... and there are people on here who have done it... professionally and otherwise. And then maybe you will see someone giving you credit in their sig when you are rich and famous for tweaking a stout recipe.

You will find a whole lot of love here... lots of ribbing too... but it is good natured. And there is a lot of experience here.

Thanks for the info on what you are doing. All the best to you.

THAT being said...

chefmike here are the links to the roasted oats I promised
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/michael90t/HomeBrewing/DSCF0490.jpg

and

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/michael90t/HomeBrewing/DSCF0494.jpg

the lighting isnt the best but it give an idea for what I go for..........

Whoa. Even Jamil Zainasheff shares his recipes. You don't have to, of course, but please don't take offense if we're surprised. We'd not only need your exact ingredients (including yeast, and fermentation temperature) but your exact water profile, and then do it on a commercial scale. No one can make your brew the way you can, even if we wanted to try.

If Vinnie Cilurzo shares his recipes but manages to stay in business, I imagine it could be done. Charlie Papazian has given me a couple of tips, too. Jim Koch has told me what kind of hops he uses. Denny Conn is hanging around here, and gave me some hints on one of his recipes.

Again, you definitely don't need to feel that we expect you to spill your guts! But you don't have to insult other members with the "I will take your opinion with more seriousness once you start brewing your own recipies that are more then sleightly modded extract kits or AG brews that someone else came up with..... Or when you have plans in place to start selling what you brew........" comments.

Some of us can brew, and have done so professionally. I take it personally when those kinds of comments are thrown around. We're all learning, even the guys on here who have literally "written the book" on brewing.

Quite the thread. Wish the OP would come back and tell us how it went. Maybe he's still trying to clean the goo ball out of his mash tun. :D

Yeah, chef mike. Beer recipes are not exactly entirely repeatable. Do you knw that even the mega breweries beers taste different depending what brewery they come from? Inbev (labbatts) brewmaster told me that.

Because if the way the text was quoted I took it as an attack on that either my brew was not good enough to be either a winning beer or a flagship brew for a microbrewery(come on thats like telling someone their baby is ugly :) ) ... Thats why my post was as hostile (to hostile) as it was... We have both apologized to each other through PM am I am apologizing here as well for taking it too personally and out of context of what he intended and the world is once again bright and wonderfull :)

AND to make it more clear the ONLY reason I attacked the way he brews is because I thought he was attacking the way I brew.... Facts are it really doesnt matter if you're all grain,extract,partial mash,mead,wine,etc etc or even if you dont brew but just have a passion for great drinks. We are all here to share and experiment and learn and generally to have fun and enjoy and make new friends.....

Mike - Glad to see you figured out how to chill.

Everyone else - Some facts.

* 100% oat malt beers used to be fairly common in UK until about the turn of the 20th century.
* Fawcett's oat malt will make a hell of an oat-malt beer. I oughta know; I did one with 75%+ oat malt recently that turned out just fine. (Okay, it was an 'ale' ca. 1286 AD, but who's counting?) It has plenty of diastatic power, no matter what any website says.
* Oat malt does not, say again not require rice hulls, as it is a husked grain. Flaked oats in that proportion, well, yeah. But not oat malt. The corn itself is much less plump than even Pils malt, and will require narrowing of the mill gap to get a good crush. The husk:endosperm ratio is relatively high. Adding rice hulls will only increase the husk matter, increasing the possibility of increasing unwanted 'grainy' flavor effects.

That's about all. Don't fear oat malt. I'm finishing a glass of uncarbonated Tudor Hopp'd Beere with 25% oat malt, and it's goooooooood. (I love bottling day!)

Cheers,

Bob

Well said, Bob.

Three Floyd's and Mikkeller came out with an Oat Wine last year or so.
mikkeller-three-floyds-huedegoop_site.jpg

* 100% oat malt beers used to be fairly common in UK until about the turn of the 20th century.
* Fawcett's oat malt will make a hell of an oat-malt beer. I oughta know; I did one with 75%+ oat malt recently that turned out just fine. (Okay, it was an 'ale' ca. 1286 AD, but who's counting?) It has plenty of diastatic power, no matter what any website says.
* Oat malt does not, say again not require rice hulls, as it is a husked grain. Flaked oats in that proportion, well, yeah. But not oat malt. The corn itself is much less plump than even Pils malt, and will require narrowing of the mill gap to get a good crush. The husk:endosperm ratio is relatively high. Adding rice hulls will only increase the husk matter, increasing the possibility of increasing unwanted 'grainy' flavor effects.

That's about all. Don't fear oat malt. I'm finishing a glass of uncarbonated Tudor Hopp'd Beere with 25% oat malt, and it's goooooooood. (I love bottling day!)

Cheers,

Bob

Now this has me curious. OR rather, the Tudor Hopp'd Beere uncarbonated does. I assume from your statement that it is supposed to be uncarbonated? The last suggestion for a beer I received was something that wasn't too bitter, used oats, and was uncarbonated. Haven't quite found the right recipe for that and am leaning toward some type of oat beer in general, but this peaked my interest. I'm not seeing a recipe anywhere for this type of thing, what should I be looking for?

Thanks!

-- PS: Holy Ghost Thread Batman!

Just a partial mash with 5# of fawcetts malted oats as only grain, got about 60% from it, we will see how it tastes.

Cheers,

Bob

Been thinking I'd like to brew a 100% oat beer with Fawcett's oat malt as the base and a little golden naked oat malt for some complexity. Further reading had me coming across warnings of oat beers have an undesirable astringency or tartness. Did you notice any glaring off-flavors from the 75%+ oat beer? Thanks.

Why not try 6 row for diastatic power. Then do a Step/Cereal mash with rice hulls to get a proper lauter/sparge. I would be interested in how this would turn out. I love a good oatmeal, with a handful of berries and crushed almonds/walnuts/pecans.;)

Been thinking I'd like to brew a 100% oat beer with Fawcett's oat malt as the base and a little golden naked oat malt for some complexity. Further reading had me coming across warnings of oat beers have an undesirable astringency or tartness. Did you notice any glaring off-flavors from the 75%+ oat beer? Thanks.

Not glaring, no. It is different than mostly-barley beers? Hell, yes. Oats have a flavor all their own, just like barley and wheat. I find the difference refreshing. So long as you keep that in mind, you'll have an interesting experience.

Why not try 6 row for diastatic power. Then do a Step/Cereal mash with rice hulls to get a proper lauter/sparge.

As has been said above at length, you need neither greater diastatic power nor rice hulls to mash/lauter oat malt, as oat malt has both plenty of diastatic power and husk material. Other than a β-glucan rest to reduce wort viscosity and a tighter mill setting to ensure a good crush, no more complicated mashing regime or ingredients list need be followed.

Cheers,

Bob

Not glaring, no. It is different than mostly-barley beers? Hell, yes. Oats have a flavor all their own, just like barley and wheat. I find the difference refreshing. So long as you keep that in mind, you'll have an interesting experience.

Cheers,

Bob

Cool, thanks for the info.

Next brew: oat beer!

I know this is an old thread but ...

What was the recipe?
I'm especially interested in the hops used (from circa 1265 :)

I am trying to make an oat wine/beer for the purpose of being gluten free. I am going to brew several 1 gal batches in a few weeks only using Bob's Red Mill GF rolled oats, molasses, and hops. The only thing I am going to change each batch is how I roast the oats: time, wet/dry, temp, etc.

I'll post any results that might be beneficial.

Hey guys this is kind of right in line with what I'm planning next. I've brewed a bunch of non-grape wine (hooch) this year and I'm starting to get decent at it, I think. I picked up the alaskan bootlegger's bible and read it cover to cover in one night, so I called around town looking for raw barley and finally ended up ordering 21 pounds off amazon. Then I malted it. The plan is to dive headfirst into beer, and make a barleywine as my first beer. Been reading everything I can get my hands on and picking a lot of brains, just helped a friend brew an oatmeal stout, and the topic of what I should brew next came up. I've got 5 empty carboys that I really just need to fill. He's been talking about making a maple beer, so he said maple syrup wine. That would be as expensive as hell. But! What if I made a maple syrup and oatmeal wine or beer? I coincidentally have 3/4 a bottle of amylase, left over from what I needed to clear up some carrot wine that I didn't make properly. Anyway, toasting the rolled oats sounds like an amazing idea, add amylase and maple syrup. This sounds like a perfect practice batch for a barleywine, I'll get to practice mashing and try out the mash tun I'm going to have to build, and all that. Rice hulls, right. And figure out a high gravity beer yeast and try that out. So, maple oat beer. Any thoughts on that?

Just came across this thread after looking to see if anyone else had tried making oat beer.
What i essentially did was in a BIG BIG pot, throw in a good few KG of cheap oats, boiled them until they were essentially porridge, then added Amalayse and left it covered for a couple of days.
Then i added even more water so that what resulted was very watery and boiled again.

This was my recipe: (5 UK gallon/25l batch)

2kg oats
1 pound honey
1 pound Wheat Dry extract.

For the oats - boil them to oblivion - like HOURS - This will take a lot of water - 16 litres in-fact - so get a BIG pot!

Then, add amylase - couple teaspoons worth once it has cooled and leave for 2 days covered.

Boil oats again.

Add water until the mix is very runny, runnier than gruel. This will take a lot of water again, so will require you to split the mixture to several pans to complete. Take 1/3 of the oat-slop and make it back up to 16 litres with boiling water.

bring these to the boil and leave to cool.

Strain this mixture through very fine muslin or a jelly bag, squeeze to get all liquid out but avoid as many lumpy bits getting out.

Guess what - BOIL AGAIN!

This needs to be boiled right down - back to the original 16 litres, so get all your pans going on a hob, open a previous brew and wait...

Right - thats the hard part done - now you just want to let the oat mixture cool and add to your FV.

Get a pan of water boiling - just a couple litres, and add your dry wheat extract - while thats boiling throw in a hop bag of whatever you want really - personally i used 25g of Cascade and 25g of Galaxy for 25min in the boil.

Let this mix cool and add to the FV.

Add your honey to the FV, top it up to around 25l with cold water and add your yeast (I used US-04) once it reaches the room temp!

Leave for 7-10 days bubbling away, bottle and keep for 3 weeks warm and a week in the cold - DONE! XD

hope people see this and like it :)

In Colonial times they made what was called bran beer in America as getting malted barley from England was very expensive. Similar idea, taking unmalted wheat bran and boiling it for 3 hrs to gelatinize the starches, mix in some molasses, honey, or sugar, and ferment.

Malted oats are sprouted and kilned, just like malted barley. To use unmalted oats you would either have to boil them for hours to gelatinize them, or purchase flaked oats (the dried finished product after some else did the boiling for you).

In Colonial times they made what was called bran beer in America as getting malted barley from England was very expensive. Similar idea, taking unmalted wheat bran and boiling it for 3 hrs to gelatinize the starches, mix in some molasses, honey, or sugar, and ferment.

Malted oats are sprouted and kilned, just like malted barley. To use unmalted oats you would either have to boil them for hours to gelatinize them, or purchase flaked oats (the dried finished product after some else did the boiling for you).

So purchase them flaked.

And do unmalted oats taste noticeably different from malted ones?

Does it take *3* hours to gelatinize oats? Are there some sources I can read? I'd like to take a look at other grains too.

People sometimes did things in the past because they lacked the knowledge of materials. For example, most people don't like beer that is dried (smoked) with Peat or Coke (!). Just because it was "done that way" in the past doesn't mean it's necessary or correct.

You can try a combination of unmalted outs with a high distatic malt like 6 row, and mash low for a longer time to convert what you can..

And do unmalted oats taste noticeably different from malted ones?

No idea, but I would imagine the malted would be sweeter for the malting process.

Does it take *3* hours to gelatinize oats? Are there some sources I can read? I'd like to take a look at other grains too.

People did things in the past because they lacked the knowledge of materials. For example, most people don't like beer that is dried (smoked) with Peat or Coke (!). Just because it was "done that way" in the past doesn't mean it's necessary or correct.

And sometimes they DID do things because it was necessary and correct. Whole oats must be cooked completely to break up cell walls and to hydrate the starches. How long it takes depends on your cook pots, how much grain, etc.., but it is more in the range of hours than minutes. Any brewing text that discusses grain manufacturing should have a section on this. Google 'starch hydrolysis'.

The original 3-6 hour boil is to hydrate starches and break cell walls. Subsequent boils are to remove excess water - as the oat mixture starts off very thick and must be diluted to filter before being concentrated again.

But why spend the time and fuel to boil for 3-6 hours? Just buy flaked oats and mash them.

Do 3-6 hours boiled oats taste noticeably different form flaked oats?

basically, flaked oats are expensive, and in the UK i get get 10kg of porridge oats for £7.50, making this literally the cheapest beer i've ever made :)

basically, flaked oats are expensive, and in the UK i get get 10kg of porridge oats for £7.50, making this literally the cheapest beer i've ever made :)

Propane/Gas has a cost, as does your time, so I wonder if it really saves anything to not buy Flanked oats.

well in the UK at least, flaked oats cost over 5x as much per kilo as regular - for 10kg of flaked oats i'd be paying over £40 ($60) as opposed to £7.50 ($12)

Latest posts

Back