Improving the Swamp Cooling Method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iBrewBeer

Reaction score
I've been experimenting with keeping my primary carboy cool for summer brewing. I don't have a fancy fermentation coolers so have to resort to the swamp cooling method- putting the carboy in a tub full of water then wrapping it with a towel or t-shirt. Pointing a box fan set on low at it also helps.

Recently, I ditched the cotton t-shirt and substituted a wicking runners shirt (CoolMax type fabric) around the carboy and man does it do a better job. The wicking fabric draws up water and evaporates it much more efficiently than cotton ever could. I was able to maintain fermentation temps of 68 degrees with the ambient air temp at 76 degrees.

Just thought I'd pass the tip along.....

Cheers!

This is a great tip! Thank you for that.

I'm in the midst of cooling a primary from Sunday and the cotton t-shirt is doing just fine. I have a couple of those sport shirts that I never wear so will try that to see how it goes. My current set up is maintaining temperatures of around 69 and without a fan so I'm not terribly worried about it.

I do look forward to the fall/winter/spring when I just don't have to worry about primary fermentation temperatures.

Hmmmmm... This one didn't work for me. I tried today with one of the shirts and it just dries toooooo quickly and it doesn't wick up far enough so there is really no cooling effect at all. I put the heavier cotton t-shirt back on this evening.

I may not have the quality of sport t-shirts that you have. This one just didn't work for me. As always, YMMV.

Sounds like a great idea-will try it. My last set up wouldn't stay under 72 no matter what I did. MMMMMM butter!!!

.....it just dries toooooo quickly and it doesn't wick up far enough so there is really no cooling effect at all. I put the heavier cotton t-shirt back on this evening.

Wow! Too much evaporation is usually a good thing. I've never had any problems with the fabric keeping the carboy cool but guess lots of environmental factors come into play.

You did spark another thought however. Wonder if placing a cotton t-shirt against the carboy then the wicking fabric on top of that would work better?

Think I'll crack open a homebrew and ponder that configuration a while.....

Thanks for the feedback!

Found something even better than the "coolmax" fabric over the carboy in bathtub........ the Sham Wow!!!!!!

Darn thing wicks up water like there's no tomorrow! I wrapped 3 of them around the carboy and pointed a box fan on low speed at it. maintaining 68 deg. is no problem.

To heck with the refrigerator idea........

Latest posts

Back