Gelatin - My Way, w/Pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yea, yet another gelatin post. Here's mine, with pics.

Why gelatin? It will clear your beer, very well. It works best if you add it to beer at fermentation temps, then chill the beer to freezing ( ~30F). I do this to every beer I make except for German wheats and Belgian Wits, which I like to leave cloudy.

I use 1 packet for 2 carboys.

Add unflavored gelatin to a cup of water. Let it sit for 5 minutes. It will absorb water, bloom. Here it is before and after it has absorbed the water:

IMG_0368.JPG

IMG_03715.JPG

After blooming...

IMG_03772.JPG

Microwave for 1:45 (adjust for your microwave power). I throw a plastic spoon in there so I can stir, but stirring really isn't necessary:

IMG_03821.JPG

Make sure it's heated to above 160. This will ensure sanitation. The gelatin will dissolve into the water and the entire mixture will become completely clear. If it starts to boil, you will get jello. If this happens, dump and start over :mad:

IMG_03881.JPG

Pour into fermenter:

IMG_03841.JPG

Now was that your primary fermenter, after fermentaion has subsided. Or were you using a secondary at all for this? (It looks like the primary due to the krausen residue, but bad things happen when we assume)

Back