Maltodextrin as priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robodo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about to bottle my first brett beer. This is a dubbel that had wyeast 1214 in primary and brett b added to secondary. Does it make sense to use maltodextrin to prime bottles instead of corn sugar? I'm thinking that if the 1214 can't eat maltodextrin, I'll get funkier results relying only on the brett. Is this sound thinking?

Thanks!

That makes sense to me. Just this week I ran out of DME and wanted to step up a Brett starter I have going. I used my maltodextrin instead and it's chugging away. Unless there's some reason I'm unaware of, I say go for it.

I wouldn't do it, it'll be tough to predict how much CO2 is created and how long it'll take to do so

I wouldn't brett doesn't make co2 in the same levels as yeast you will probably get under carbed beer

Not sure where you heard that, but it isn't true! Fermentation is fermentation.

That being said, the production of secondary metabolites (flavor/aromatics) by Brett isn’t really that dependent on the amount of fermentables that it has access to. That is why a 100% Brett fermentation isn’t any funkier than a standard secondary one. It is really the phenols, acids, esters present in the wort that provide substrates for Brett to produce its signature character. Fermenting under pressure, that is to say bottle conditioning, does seem to boost the flavor production (or retention?) of Brett generated aromatics. I’d probably just prime with a relatively simple sugar (glucose, or sucrose), no telling how long Brett would take to ferment malto-dextrin. I’m also not 100% sure that the entire contents of malto-dextrin powder is under the 9-glucose-chain-limit for alpha-amylase (the main enzyme Brett relies on for this sort of thing).

I’ve become some sort of horrible sour-beer nerd, I apologize.

I saw Chad Yakobson speak at a dinner during a homebrewing competition and asked this same question. He stated basically the same thing as Oldsock. Most of the flavors associated with brett come from reproducing and being stressed. That being said, I'm going to try it on a few bottles when I blend my gueuze soon.

Not sure where you heard that, but it isn't true! Fermentation is fermentation.

That being said, the production of secondary metabolites (flavor/aromatics) by Brett isn’t really that dependent on the amount of fermentables that it has access to. That is why a 100% Brett fermentation isn’t any funkier than a standard secondary one. It is really the phenols, acids, esters present in the wort that provide substrates for Brett to produce its signature character. Fermenting under pressure, that is to say bottle conditioning, does seem to boost the flavor production (or retention?) of Brett generated aromatics. I’d probably just prime with a relatively simple sugar (glucose, or sucrose), no telling how long Brett would take to ferment malto-dextrin. I’m also not 100% sure that the entire contents of malto-dextrin powder is under the 9-glucose-chain-limit for alpha-amylase (the main enzyme Brett relies on for this sort of thing).

I’ve become some sort of horrible sour-beer nerd, I apologize.

Awesome I can always stand to be corrected. That being said I am bottling a Brett C Oktoberfest this weekend the beer itself is about 8 months old. Typically I bottle my sour beers with Champagne or Wine yeast do I not need to do this with strait brett secondary? Any time I can save a few bucks I do.

Awesome I can always stand to be corrected. That being said I am bottling a Brett C Oktoberfest this weekend the beer itself is about 8 months old. Typically I bottle my sour beers with Champagne or Wine yeast do I not need to do this with strait brett secondary? Any time I can save a few bucks I do.

It depends how soon you want to be drinking the beer. Wine yeast speeds things up, but for years I bottled ~year old sour beers without re-yeasting. It'll take a couple months to carbonate, but the Brett will get it there eventually on its own.

Back