Time for an end-of-Summer IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ICWiener

Reaction score
I'm showing a friend how to brew this weekend. It's his first go-round, so I'm keeping it as simple as possible. I don't want to overwhelm the guy right off the bat. Making an easy extract IPA.

Here's what I'm working on. I used Racer 5 as my starting point:

9 lbs pale LME
.5 lb Crystal 10
.5 lb Crystal 40
1 oz Cara-Aromatic

1.5 oz Columbus @ 60min
.75 oz Chinook @ 20min
.75 oz Centennial @15min
.75 oz Cascade @ 10min
.75 oz Chinook@ 5min
.75 oz Centennial @ 0min
2.25 oz 'C' hop blend (the 4 hops used in the boil) @ dry hop

Safale US-05

Should come out around 1.066 SG and 7 SRM or so.

Thoughts? I know it's fairly straight forward, but it's always fun to talk recipes around here.

I think it looks great, but a lb of any crystal in an IPA, let alone an extract beer, is a ton IMO.

I'd cut it all if it were my beer, especially with you hopping the sh*t out of it anyway, I'd let them pop without the crystal.... Some of my favorite extract beers were made with only extract, no steeping grains. If you leave that much crystal, I'd be surprised if you could get that beer to attenuate south of 1.016 which to me, is too sweet for an IPA. My .02 anyway.

I think it looks great, but a lb of any crystal in an IPA, let alone an extract beer, is a ton IMO.

I'd cut it all if it were my beer, especially with you hopping the sh*t out of it anyway, I'd let them pop without the crystal.... Some of my favorite extract beers were made with only extract, no steeping grains. If you leave that much crystal, I'd be surprised if you could get that beer to attenuate south of 1.016 which to me, is too sweet for an IPA. My .02 anyway.

I concur. I would also venture to guess that it would be a bit darker than 7 SRM:mug:

I perceive Racer 5 as being a lot more malty than 2-row and cara- malts. There's something else in there if that's what you're shooting for. Some Munich LME perhaps?

Thanks guys! Any and all feedback is appreciated. I guess I didn't think it would turn out too sweet, since it's just crystal 10 and 40. I've had good luck with it in the past, but I find the higher SRM crystals are the ones that give my beer that cloying sweetness. Maybe I will cut it out, or at the very least, cut it in half. Racer 5 does have a bit of a maltier/sweeter taste to me, that's where the idea for the crystal came in...but maybe bobbrews is right, a little Munich LME or something...

step: Beersmith tells me it would come in at 8.6 SRM

Higher SRM crystals are just more dark, toasty, deep, and raisiny. They are not more "sugary sweet" per se. Think of it like caramel at the various color stages. When it comes down to it at the end of the day caramel is caramel, and one does not contain more sugar than the other.

Hmmm...well, I was trying to think of a decent set of steeping grains for this, in order to teach my buddy just a bit more than "boil water, add extract, add hops"

Oh well, no big deal. There's lots more beer to be brewed.

I love R5. I've tried a few clones and all were very good beers, just not close enough. I've since given up on coming close and just enjoy any good IPA.

I've heard that Austin Homebrew Supply has a very good clone kit but I've not tried it nor have I seen the recipe.
I've also heard that this one is dead on but it's not from someone I know personally.

I need to revisit Racer 5... didn't care for it last time I tried it... but I could have had a "dirty pallet".

I've also heard that this one is dead on but it's not from someone I know personally.

I saw that one, that's why I decided to put some crystal in the recipe:

0.63 lbs. Crystal 15L America 1.035 15

There's also a guys down the thread who has even more in his:

4.4 1.38 lbs. Crystal 20L America 1.035 20

That's why I thought 1 lb would be safe.

I'd definitely steep some grains just to show him the process even if you cut the amounts back.

I was just down at my LHBS and I was talking to the owner. They have pre-made kits that they sell. I used to buy them all the time when I was learning to brew. I've made their Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone kit probably 5 or 6 times. I asked what steeping grains they put in. He told me .75 lbs of crystal 60 and .75 lbs of carapils. It never seemed sweet or cloying or anything to me. It makes a good pale ale (if you buy about 2 or 3 extra ounces of hops). I think it's all a matter of taste. I'm going to leave this recipe at about .75 lbs of crystal. I think it'll be fine.

Back