Schlitz 'Classic 60's Formula' Clone ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meddin

Reaction score
On a friend's recommendation, I picked up a 6 pack of Schlitz's Classic 60's Formula beer. I know it has been out for a couple of years, but had not tried it.

Guess what? I thought it was pretty tasty. I fuller flavored/body American lager that I hadn't really had before. I could actually taste the hops for cryin' out loud.

I did some searching here on the forums for any recipe ideas and didnt find much (other than posters being mocked for trying). Does anyone have any ideas? Hops? Yeast? Malts used? I would be brewing all-grain 5 gal. batch.

A few things I wanted to mention: Yes, I know it would be cheaper to buy it than brew it. I know I am not supposed to like it. I donit care. I do. I like all kinds of beers. From lambics to stouts to barelywines to even *gasp* light beer onc in a while. I even drink water and milk on occasion, so please keep the mockery at a minimum, ok? :cross:

Fire extinguisher standing by...

The old formula used to use formealdahide to artificially age it. I doubt they still use it though. And, I'd count it out in a clone recipe.

Which BJCP category do you think it falls into?

I'm not sure, but I assumed Premium American Lager...It seems to be a bit more flavorful/aromatic than that to my pallete though...

Trying to make an exact duplicate of a decades old American mass market lager is just about impossible IMO. The hops used are in most cases not published, nor is the yeast. Your best bet, I think, is to make a generic version that will come reasonably close to the flavor and color. Maybe try something like this:

Five Gallons
6.5 lbs Domestic pale; 6-row, 2-row or a blend
2.5 lbs flaked maize
.25 lb CaraHell or other 10L Crystal malt

Mash 128F @ 20 minutes
Mash 148F @ 60 minutes

.25 oz Cluster 7%AA + .5 oz Hallertau 4.5%AA for 60 minutes
.25 oz Hallertau 4.5%AA for 10 minutes

Wyeast 2042 Danish Lager Yeast

They brought back the Tall Boy too.
Tallboy.bmp

And Primo on the west coast.
I believe that you can actually taste the cane sugar in the Primo.
http://www.primobeer.com/

I KNEW there was a reason I was aging so well - I used to drink buckets of this stuff in the later 60's.:D

I didn't know they had the old formula out again. I will have to pick up a 6.

It seems there's a bit of a resurgence going on in some parts. I noticed 5 years ago that 'Naragansett Lager' is back! :rockin:

Trying to make an exact duplicate of a decades old American mass market lager is just about impossible IMO. The hops used are in most cases not published, nor is the yeast. Your best bet, I think, is to make a generic version that will come reasonably close to the flavor and color. Maybe try something like this:

Five Gallons
6.5 lbs Domestic pale; 6-row, 2-row or a blend
2.5 lbs flaked maize
.25 lb CaraHell or other 10L Crystal malt

Mash 128F @ 20 minutes
Mash 148F @ 60 minutes

.25 oz Cluster 7%AA + .5 oz Hallertau 4.5%AA for 60 minutes
.25 oz Hallertau 4.5%AA for 10 minutes

Wyeast 2042 Danish Lager Yeast

That looks good!

Palmer has worked out a pretty good recipe. I'd post it but I gave the book it was in to my brother-in-law as a Christmas gift. The maize and lower mash temp looks about right. It may even be perhaps worth going a few degrees lower and lengthening the mash duration by 15 or 30 minutes. And, for hops straight up Hallertau for all three additions.

Palmer has worked out a pretty good recipe. I'd post it but I gave the book it was in to my brother-in-law as a Christmas gift. The maize and lower mash temp looks about right. It may even be perhaps worth going a few degrees lower and lengthening the mash duration by 15 or 30 minutes. And, for hops straight up Hallertau for all three additions.

I think I will have to give that recipe a shot. Gusto!

I think I will have to give that recipe a shot. Gusto!

Oh and a big yeast starter would be of an immense help.

I kinda wanna give this a try now too... I've got White Labs Copenhagen yeast just hanging out in my homebrew supply fridge.

:drunk:

Trying to make an exact duplicate of a decades old American mass market lager is just about impossible IMO. The hops used are in most cases not published, nor is the yeast.

On the contrary, the information is out there. It is hard to find, but it's out there.

See the recipe for SchmiPielSchaeRheingoldter in my drop-down. The classic Brooklyn profile was 70% six-row, 30% maize, brewed to ~12°P (1.048). The wort was bittered with Clusters to approximately 28-29 IBU, finished with Styrian Goldings. Oddly, most all Brooklyn beers were remarkably similar; the brewmasters used to meet for lunch once per week. ;)

You'll have to fiddle a bit with a multi-step mash to get the right sweet wort; the mash profile listed in my recipe works really, really well, but your protein rest may need to be shorter or longer depending on your malt analysis.

Because the classic Christian Schmidt strain is no longer available, I ferment mine with WY2035 or WL840 (whichever is fresher at my LHBS). That gives me perfectly acceptable results.

Regards,

Bob

For that authentic flavor, make sure to fart in the fermenter as advised by the Rogue Dead Guy:

roguedeadguy.jpg

(Sorry, couldn't resist... I hope it turns out well)

(Sorry, couldn't resist... I hope it turns out well)

I knew some derision was to be expected. :), but I STILL think it tasted good...

On the contrary, the information is out there. It is hard to find, but it's out there.

See the recipe for SchmiPielSchaeRheingoldter in my drop-down. The classic Brooklyn profile was 70% six-row, 30% maize, brewed to ~12°P (1.048). The wort was bittered with Clusters to approximately 28-29 IBU, finished with Styrian Goldings. Oddly, most all Brooklyn beers were remarkably similar; the brewmasters used to meet for lunch once per week. ;)

Because the classic Christian Schmidt strain is no longer available, I ferment mine with WY2035 or WL840 (whichever is fresher at my LHBS). That gives me perfectly acceptable results.

This may be on the deck for my next brew....Thanks!

Was changing the formula of this beer what brought about it's demise? I used to really love this stuff.

i belive but im not sure that it was because of a clarity problem they had coused by a instabilty problem they had when shipping there beer. Dr. Charles Bamforth talked alittle on it once on a bn show

i belive but im not sure that it was because of a clarity problem they had coused by a instabilty problem they had when shipping there beer. Dr. Charles Bamforth talked alittle on it once on a bn show

I also read that they changed from the original recipe to lower costs and appeal to the BMC type crowd...maybe that brought aroung the 'demise'...

Anywho, I'm glad the original formula is back.

Pardon me for exhuming an old thread, but I just tried the "original" Schlitz on tap in Milwaukee. I was very pleasantly surprised, it had a distinct malt character, and I've certainly had worse pilsners in Germany. But I didn't detect any corn adjunct at all, maybe my palate isn't that reliable but I would be surprised if there was any.

So, if I were to devise a clone I might go for about 95% pilsner or 6-row, with a small addition of dextrine or carafoam or even honey malt. Maybe stick to Hallertau or Saaz, and something like WYeast 2007. I would want to mash at 128°F for 20 minutes and 148°F for 60 minutes, as BigEd suggested, ferment around 50°F and lager under 40°F with a diacetyl rest. Any comments?

I have a family member who will drink only Schlitz, and loves the OR. I'm going to try to clone it for him. Has anyone had success with this yet?

Bob said:
Did you read the entire thread?

yes, thanks for being a typical HBT a-hole. I know the one person said they had a similar recipe they liked, and other people said they put something in the fermenter, etc. I was wondering how they turned out

Sorry, friend. I thought the part where I posted a link to my well-received recipe that I and lots of HBTers have brewed many times to their satisfaction, as well as a bit of historical analysis of mid-20th-century American Pilsner, was pretty plain.

You asked a question which reads to me like you didn't see what was up there, because if you had you'd've had an answer. Hence my admittedly terse comment.

My apology.

Here's a clear, concise answer: My recipe, developed from studying the records of Brooklyn lager breweries, is as close as anyone is likely to get to 1950s American Pilsner. I have brewed it many times at home and many more professionally, to my and my customers' satisfaction. Many HBT members have also brewed it. You may be assured that, provided you can brew lager beer, it'll turn out fine for you.

Okay?

BYO did a clone of Schlitz that was supposedly put together with the assistance of past brewmasters for Jos. Schlitz Brewing Co. I'm trying to find it again though...

Found it: http://byo.com/stories/recipeindex/article/recipes/259-pilsner/1826-the-schizlitz-

It is supposed to be a mid-70's varient so I'm not sure that it will be as hoppy or as good as the current "Classic 60's Formula" that they have out now. I'm a big fan of the original recipe. I'll going to go with a batch of "Your Father's Mustache" soon to see how close that is.

Latest posts

Back