Preppin' for the wknd brew....Sweet Potato Pumpkin Ale!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brentt03

Reaction score
So this weekend I am making a pumpkin ale w/ sweet potatoes....double check me here and make sure my temps and processes are where they need to be?!?:mug:

From what I have read is that you will pour the pumpkin (libby's pumpkin in a can) into the mash. Strike temp will be 168 and hold the Mash for 90min @ 154. Would I also add the sweet potato to the mash as well??

Continue the brew as normal adding hops and then just pour the spices into the boil @ 5min. Chill/add yeast/ and throw in carboy.

Sweet Potato Prep
I have read a few different things, but I have seen where you bake the sweet potatoes in the skin @ 425 for 1-1.5 hours until they just begin to carmelize and have a lilttle burnt characteristics? Is this right??

Spices
Right now all of my spices are @ 1tsp....but would it be smarter to cut this in half? Then add the other half (or however much) at bottling to get desired taste out of the spices?? Does this mean I boil the spices and add to bottling bucket??

Sorry for all the questions, just like to have everything lined out up front so I am not scrambling for answers on brew day! :cross:

Here is my original recipe for reference!

Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.0 %
Bitterness: 12.4 IBUs
Est Color: 16.7 SRM
Grain Weight: 9lbs

6 lbs Pearl Pale Malt (2.8 SRM)
2 lbs Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
2.00 tsp Cinnamon Stick (Boil 5.0 mins)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Crisp Light Crystal Malt (45.0 SRM)
1.00 tsp Cloves (Boil 5.0 mins)
1.00 tsp Nutmeg (Boil 5.0 mins)
29.00 oz Pumpkin (Mash 60.0 mins)
30.00 oz Sweet Potato (Mash 60.0 mins)
1.00 oz Liberty [4.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Mt. Hood [3.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)
1.00 tsp Allspice (Boil 5.0 mins)
4.0 oz Maple Syrup (35.0 SRM)
2.00 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract (Boil 5.0 mins)

Here I am replying to myself (talking to myself, I do that alot) but I think I am going to remove the pumpkin altogether and up the sweet taters.....make it a bit more unique, plus I am from the south and we love our sweet taters!!

I would cut the amount of cloves in half...they are stronger than most other spices. Leave the vanilla extract out of the boil...you can add it at bottling day.

Looks good, I might consider leaving out the vanill, but that's just personal preference.

I had debated on the vanilla; wasn't sure how it would mesh with everything else

I would cut the amount of cloves in half...they are stronger than most other spices. Leave the vanilla extract out of the boil...you can add it at bottling day.

Good call! If the brew needs more flavor, i can drop some in at bottling! Will do on the cloves; i wasn't sure on the amounts to use of each spice. Wanted them to be noticed but not overly strong

I'd cut the spices down to about 3tsp. total, between all of them. I personally use a "pumpkin pie spice mix" because it has the balance right, as pointed out earlier cloves are very strong, cinnamon varies, etc etc etc.

So got this brew bottled and tried it yesterday, and man do the cloves come through!! Almost taste licorice like...guess on the new one, we will take out the cloves altogether :/

How'd this brew go - Did you end up leaving out the vanilla?
Will you be bottling with brown sugar?

Just saw this post; i put the vanilla in the boil when I added the spices, can't say I really tasted it in the brew.

I bottled with corn sugar, but I think brown sugar would be a better option!

If you use dark brown sugar, it will give a molasses flavor. I did a scotch ale where I used brown sugar in the boil (late addition, 15m) and also bottled with brown sugar. In hindsight, I should've done one or the other - not both.

Back