Pomegranate Apfelwein = Great!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JefeTheVol

Reaction score
So in January I used Ed's apfelwein recipe to brew up a Pomegranate Apfelwein. I didnt have any yeast on hand except an unused package of Munton's Regular Ale Yeast and I tasted it today...amazing. Not too tart, not to dry, not too sweet. Really well rounded. Here's the recipe

4.5 Gallons of Kroger bought Indian Summer Apple cider (it was the clear cider)
96 oz of POM brand Pomegranate juice. (its pure Pom juice, not from concentrate) my grocery store sells them for 10 dollars/48 oz
2 lbs of Corn Sugar
Munton's Ale Yeast
OG 1.066
FG 1.014

2 weeks in primary
6 in the secondary

Mixed together it makes just over 5 gallons. Dont forget to aerate. I usually pour half of each gallon into the carboy and shake the other half gallon vigorously. Works great.

I wasnt really sure how the munton's ale yeast was going to work because I had used it before and was unhappy with the taste but I thought "What the hell"

It turned out amazing! The pomegranate juice is just barely detectable helps round out some of the tartness of the apples and adds a nice little pink color that reminds me of white zinfandel. And I expect it to only get better with age. I will definitely use Munton's for apfelwein again.
-Jefe-

SSPX0032.jpg

I made an all pomegranate apfelwein and it tuned out a little to tart for my taste. Your Idea to go with just 98oz. of pure pomegranate juice mixed with the apple juice is a great idea. This is my idea for the next aplfelwein recipe.
6.5 gal
2 gal. 100% apple juice
3 gal pure pressed apple cider
2 lb corn sugar
1.5lb clover honey
2 lb. ungranulated unbleached sugar
1 lb. golden raisins
96oz. pure pomegranate juice
I mixed this up last october(minus the pomegranate juice) and have been sipping on this all month. Very strong, but easy to drink, can be dangerous if you not careful. I siphoned 1 gal. off my carboy, drank half without knowing the effects it would have, and that **** knocked me on my ass. I can't wait to make it with the pomegranate, and sip on it through the fall season. Thanks for the input. Peace from Zion brewing.:fro:

What flavor do the raisins add to the drink? And whats the advantage of using 3 different kinds of sugar?
-Jefe-

I've made about a dozen batches or so of apfelwein and ciders over the past year or two.

I made an Apfelwein IAW Edwort's original and was planning on adding some potassium sorbate to retard fermentation then add 1/2 gal of pomegranate juice before bottling which should add to the flavor immensely. ;)

Back