Pacific Jade Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallguybrewer

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time recipe poster. I have spent a few years brewing various recipes and thought I would finally post one that has turned out well, and would be a good addition to spring/summer brewing. This is an american style wheat using only Pacific Jade hops. I was looking to make a summer sipper in the mold of the beloved Oberon (but taking it a slightly different direction)

I get slight citrus and what I would describe as a creamy scent. The flavor seems somewhere between a Ahtanum and noble hops. I am not picking up the "black pepper" that is described (but have a feeling the black pepper that is described is what I am picking up as a ). I would like to try the same recipe using only Mouteka hops in the future.

6 gallon batch
Mash at 152 for 60 min

Est Original Gravity: 1.052
Measured Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.3 %
Bitterness: 27.7 IBUs
Est Color: 4.3 SRM

6 lbs 8.0 oz 2-row Pale Malt - 52.0 %
5 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat Malt - 44.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel 10L - 4%

0.5 oz Pacific Jade - 60 min (14.2% Alpha)
0.5 oz Pacific Jade - 10 min
1.0 oz Pacific Jade - 0 min

I think if I were to change anything I would cut back slightly on the finishing hops (to 0.5 oz and/or use 0.5 oz of Saaz at flame out as a replacement).

Happy brewing!

Now, back to my fridge conversion....

Thanks for sharing the info. Never used that hop variety. Always looking for a new brew

I have a pacific jade IPA fermenting right now... Can't wait to try it. I will give a similar wheat beer a try once the temps come back up.

Looks like a nice recipe. I have a Pacific Jade APA that I do quite a bit using biscuit and crystal malts with a 2row base.

Do you find that pacific jade needs to age a little bit longer than some other hop varieties? I often find it tastes a bit 'green' if not aged for a bit.

I found one of these lurking in the back of my fridge. At just over 4 months, this beer tastes like Juicy Fruit with a slight spice on the very tail of the finish. I did a half batch of this in January, but will be making a full batch, kegged and carbed, for spring next year.

I did the same recipe with Motueka hops. Not as good in my opinion as I think the hops are a little bland on their own. But I think an even mix of the two would work very well.

Back